Sponsored by:

can 996 be dropped with just springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Rasta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Re-animator
According to a post from Alon who called Bilstein and discussed the topic with their technical department; the dampers in the after market Sport Bilsteins are valved exactly to the X74 dampers in compression and rebound which is 40% tighter than early C2 non-M030 dampers. They should match well to the increased weit of C4s since the H&R specific springs address the added weight as well. Perhaps Gert would know if there was a valving difference in X73 dampers vs. X74 kit dampers.
You wouldn't recommend, then, that just the H&R springs be used, even with the points I noted above?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Rasta
Racer

For C4S Coupe H&R part # 29466 with Bilstein Sports VN7-4613 and BE5-2994 are the ticket. These Bilsteins are technically specific to the X74 package. Check shox.com.
Thanks for the information Re-animator. As an FYI, it seems that shox.com doesn't stock the H&R springs. -
Old 05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by Rasta
Thanks for the information Re-animator. As an FYI, it seems that shox.com doesn't stock the H&R springs. -
tirerack has them for $310. Vividracing a little more. The H&R is a progressive spring, so street driving should be acceptable with bounciness noted on early model shocks. For '02 and latter cars, the front shocks are stiffer in rebound then the M030. Try just the H&Rs. I run M030 springs on my stock C2 shocks without bounciness. They seem to like the tighter spring more than the stock ones which are 24#s heavier than stock. The H&Rs are designed to match the stock shocks, but will cause the stockers to wear quicker secondary to the longer shaft of the damper operating 1.25"s deeper into the damper housing. shox.com can do the Sport Bilsteins for about $800 if you wish to pound the car. I am running them on my rear M030s and it has really transformed the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Rasta
Racer

tirerack has them for $310. Vividracing a little more. The H&R is a progressive spring, so street driving should be acceptable with bounciness noted on early model shocks. For '02 and latter cars, the front shocks are stiffer in rebound then the M030. Try just the H&Rs. I run M030 springs on my stock C2 shocks without bounciness. They seem to like the tighter spring more than the stock ones which are 24#s heavier than stock. The H&Rs are designed to match the stock shocks, but will cause the stockers to wear quicker secondary to the longer shaft of the damper operating 1.25"s deeper into the damper housing. shox.com can do the Sport Bilsteins for about $800 if you wish to pound the car. I am running them on my rear M030s and it has really transformed the vehicle.
Thanks - I think I'm going to go with just the H&R's for now. No pounding anticipated. I've got a MY03, so hopefully the newer shocks will help mitigate some of the bounciness.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Can the car be dropped lower with the coilover setup than just the springs???
Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Just out of curiousity...How big a job is it to change the springs/shocks?

Do the springs need to be compressed, or can you just take the whole thing out as a unit? Once removed, do the springs need to be compressed to be removed from the shock?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Midnight - Here's my suggestion: Buy the Euro M030 for your car. Costs $1,200 including air frieght to your door (3 days). Lowers the car, improves the handling AND the ride, costs little and is all Porsche OEM parts. Kit includes shocks, springs, sway bars etc. This is the cheapest and one of the nicest upgrades for a 911. Check out www.carnewal.com
No affiliation just a very satisfied customer.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by leedav
Just out of curiousity...How big a job is it to change the springs/shocks?

Do the springs need to be compressed, or can you just take the whole thing out as a unit? Once removed, do the springs need to be compressed to be removed from the shock?
Leedav, I just had the FVD PSS9 setup installed. The actual install was not difficult, but there were some difficulties and I am thankful to have a good mechanic doing the install. I had the car aligned and that was the problem. Way too much camber. Eventually they got it. Anyway don't do the install without 4 wheel alignment. Love the final result!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I was just thinking if I did it I could just pay for the alignment. That's what I've done with other cars.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm getting the H&R springs installed this week using the stock shocks on my C4 Cab. I'll report my findings after the install.This is a great thread,although we have opposing points of view on the topic. I had the same situation when I wanted to buy tires, lots of great input but very subjective. I decided on Potenza so2a's and I'm happy with my decision even though many people hated those tires. Anyway, that's what's great about this forum.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I'm getting the H&R springs installed this week using the stock shocks on my C4 Cab. I'll report my findings after the install.This is a great thread,although we have opposing points of view on the topic. I had the same situation when I wanted to buy tires, lots of great input but very subjective. I decided on Potenza so2a's and I'm happy with my decision even though many people hated those tires. Anyway, that's what's great about this forum.
Bob - Is there a particular reason you are going with the H&R springs as opposed to the M030 sport springs, which are Porsche OEM equipment? Just curious, because I also am thinking of lowering my '04 996. I want the car lowered for the aesthetics, not so much for the performance.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

gota911,
I have a lot of confidence in my local mechanic who is a Porsche expert mechanic and previously raced and set up track Porsches in Europe and locally. He has recommended this set up based on my driving style and desire to "tighten up" the handling a bit. I feel the car has a little float that I would like to harness. I don't track the car so my requirements are limited to some inprovement in handling and it will lower the car about 1.1 inches. I'm also getting the GHL mufflers installed for fun...
Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Midnight Rider
Racer

Ok, so back on track...Can you LOWER IT MORE with coilovers than with just springs? thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do it right. Your stocks shocks are designed for longer travel with the stock springs. Get the Sports Shocks which are specifically designed for that short shock absorbtion and dampening and react properly to shorter springs.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

which shocks???

Quick Reply: can 996 be dropped with just springs?