Sponsored by:

Why no "Big Oval" tips for c4s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why no "Big Oval" tips for c4s?

My previous Porsche's were c2's and all had the big oval tips. They are a piece of art to me. Now I find the c4s has dull rolled steel tips and I don't particularly like the 4 tube, and I don't know if they have a construction similar to big ovals. Those are made so well.

What choices am I missing? What looks best in the forum participants opinion?

I looked at the post about basalt black vs black and the photos showed the rears of the cars, each with a different tip. I like the stock look, but not the design quality and materials. The 4 tube I assume is closer in build to the big ovals but I just don't get turned on by the style.

What else is there?

Bill
Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 AM
JMQ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the big ovals on Boxsters. I've got the double ovales on my c4. I like the big ovals (Helps with my short-comings...). Can you swap-out? Have you seen the Tri Oval on some boxster OME equip?
Old 04-22-2005, 01:04 AM
enicideme
AutoX

Wait, these? I love these. . .they are a little different, and you don't see them on every other car out there.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Those are the stock C4S tips. They ARE oval. But, I think he was refering to the older big ovals, those found on the pre-'02 C2's. On the '02's and up, the round tube is very close to the outside end of the big oval, and it's very easy to see the round tube inside the oval. Even with the double circle tips, you can easily see the single round exhaust tube inside. In the older 996's, the round tube is further in, and creates a better illusion of a big oval exhaust pipe rather than just an oval tip. They improved the exhaust sound on the 996's '02 and up, and that's probably one of the reasons why that is.

I've looked, and there is just no getting away from the above shortcomings of the newer 996 exhaust look. The double circle on the new 996's look even more fake, IMHO. That's IMHO, guys. Thats why I just stuck with the stock look.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:32 PM
enicideme
AutoX

Yeah, I noticed that. I liked the looks of the round tube inside the oval, until I realized just how easy it was to see that it was a single pipe almost out to the edge of the (double) tips.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big difference in the "big oval" tips is they are chromed very nicely, not polished stainless. The outside is a heavy steel lip but not thick like the rolled lip on the stock ones you see in the photo above. The big oval fit 993's and there are fitments for c2's prior to 02 I believe. I am just lamenting that I can't buy them to fit my car!

Bill
Old 04-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

it is an imho:

these are the best looking pipes next of Scotland - imho!!!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Why no "Big Oval" tips for c4s?