Sponsored by:

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

For all poor soles like moi, who have to place a front plate on the car.

My car was from a jurisdiction that did not require front plates. As such, when i picked it up from the dealer there were no front plate attachments of any sort: the front had only two holes with bumper plugs. - probably not even from Eric!

i bought a Bell metal plate surround that was only marginally larger than the plate. The holes were @ 8.5 inch spread, rather than the 11" spread of the bumper plug holes. All i did was drill through the plate and the surround. As it was a fairly soft metal, i could bend it to the exact shape of the bumper.

I stuck drywall plugs into the bumper plug holes and screwed the plate onto the bumper. I stuck a couple of black screw head plastic covers onto the screws to make them disappear.

This picture tries to show how it follows the horizontal fold of the bumper. It also follows the rake of the front rather than sitting perpendicular to the bumper.

From this angle of the car, the plate foot print follows the bumper line so snugly. It is hard to see the plate at all, yet if this had been the standard front plate and assemby, it would be quite obvious probably sticking out more than an inch.

Lastly a front on look again; the foot print of the plate makes it only somewhat ugly rather than driving you to go plateless and risk the wrath of those cops with nothing better to do but write tickets!

I got mine from Canadian tire - by Bell and it came in black, chrome and rough metal look. Probably about $6 or so.

It had to be easy for me to figure it out!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks much more aerodynamic than the one Porsche put on! Not bad for a self install. Why didn't you just use the factory location?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Good job! Since you HAD to put one on it, I think you did a really nice job of of fitting it.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:55 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks good CPA4S. I live in Virginia where a front plate is required. While it was tolerable on the stock bumper, it looks really horrible on the RUF RGT bumper so I took it off and put on bumper plugs from Eric.

Luckilly I haven't gotten a ticket (knock on wood) but if it gets to be a hassle I was thinking of doing something similar to what you did. I agree that the OEM license plate holder sticks out too far. I want to mount the plate flush with the bumper but I am concerned that the metal plate would scratch the paint. Here is my solution...
  1. Get a rubber plate holder like they use at the dealerships and cut off the "straps".
  2. Remove the bumper plugs and screw in the rubber holder flush to the bumper.
  3. Bend the license plate and fit it in to the rubber holder.

This is similar to how they mount license plates in Europe. The advantage of using the rubber holder is that it will lessen the chances of scratching the bumper and you can adjust the height of the plate because you can screw it in to the bumper at the desired height (just use self tapping screws through the rubber).

Last edited by programmatore; 04-16-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Default Nice job

I unfortunately am supposed to have one on my car. I took the plate and sheared it off on the top just above the WASHINGTON and just below the numbers and letters. I took the mounting bracket and cut the lower portion to match the width. I now have a mini legal front plate with a nice looking custom mount. I than took the whole thing and threw it in the trunk, I'll take it out and tell the officer it fell off. I still think I am going to get lit up when I see a trooper come at me head on. I know that the omission of the front plate is on the docket for the state.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:07 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Great mods guys. The Oregon DMV got their panties all in a bunch when I showed up to get my registration with no front plate. I'll follow one of your suggestions.
Where do you get the rubber dealer plate holder, programatorre ?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:07 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by StanSoph
I unfortunately am supposed to have one on my car. I took the plate and sheared it off on the top just above the WASHINGTON and just below the numbers and letters. I took the mounting bracket and cut the lower portion to match the width. I now have a mini legal front plate with a nice looking custom mount. I than took the whole thing and threw it in the trunk, I'll take it out and tell the officer it fell off. I still think I am going to get lit up when I see a trooper come at me head on. I know that the omission of the front plate is on the docket for the state.
Stan, your sig is off. You should be using the IMG tag instead of the URL tag to display the picture.

HTML Code:
[IMG]http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/johnny_car_copy6.jpg[/IMG]
Cheers,
Old 04-16-2005, 12:10 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by lexpilot
Great mods guys. The Oregon DMV got their panties all in a bunch when I showed up to get my registration with no front plate. I'll follow one of your suggestions.
Where do you get the rubber dealer plate holder, programatorre ?
Lexpilot,

I buried the link in there. I found it on http://www.guard81.com/products.asp?...ay_Type=detail. I am sure you can find it at several shops online.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:39 AM
StanSoph
Racer

programmatore, thanks for sharing the computer skills. I tried for a long time to figure it out. Another great feature of the board; nice people.b
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by programmatore
That looks good CPA4S. I live in Virginia where a front plate is required. While it was tolerable on the stock bumper, it looks really horrible on the RUF RGT bumper so I took it off and put on bumper plugs from Eric.

Luckilly I haven't gotten a ticket (knock on wood) but if it gets to be a hassle I was thinking of doing something similar to what you did. I agree that the OEM license plate holder sticks out too far. I want to mount the plate flush with the bumper but I am concerned that the metal plate would scratch the paint. Here is my solution...

thats a pretty good idea - the front is going to get scratched anyway at some point: I like your idea of the rubber because it is impervious to winter. If mine doesn't like the 2006/07 winter i will replace with your suggestion.

Bottom line is to minimize the intrusion of the front plate overall foot print imo.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

here is another picture i just took of the front plate footprint. - small
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about a sticker that says your plate #?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom, like a vinyl sticker that is a duplicate copy of the metal plate?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
solsavr
Instructor

Default I like this idea!

Originally Posted by LVDell
Tom, like a vinyl sticker that is a duplicate copy of the metal plate?
Boy...now that is an interesting idea! I wonder if that would work? Has anyone actually tried this?

Probably need to have it made with some sort of "reflective" vinyl to fool the locals, but man, I think I am going to try to figure this one out!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:26 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i wouldnt mind putting a european license plate on the front of my car. i wonder if that would pass

Quick Reply: Front License Plate