Sponsored by:

Lo-Jack???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:25 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Wink Lo-Jack???

Hi all,

Just looking at the option of getting Lo-Jack in place..... I garage the puppy at home and at work under lock and key but on those visits to the store or offices I need to feel a little more secure.....

The "little lady" thinks that I'm always in a rush when I don't have a visual of my vehicle.....

Can anyone tell me more, cost, install etc....?

Thanks,
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:27 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I was under the impression that late model p-cars are equipped with immobilizers, and the only way to steal one is to haul it onto a flatbed...
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:34 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Yes, they are equipped with immobilizers 3-points to start.... pretty good yet I'm afraid that a flat-bed will come by..... I'm not really afraid of the common thug it's the pro that I'm afraid of......

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:38 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Does that happen in LA?
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:48 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I've heard of it happening a while back but I'm not going to be the next.....

I'd rather be safe than sorry, I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine down a Kckenna Porsche who has just become an authrized installer... I'll see what the details are when he gets in... didn't want for him to crash on the hwy....

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:49 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Lee,

Did you get the GHL louds on your ride? I don't remember.... and what is the feedback so far?

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Would you really want your car back after it has been stolen? no lo jack for me.
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:53 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Lee,
Did you get the GHL louds on your ride? I don't remember.... and what is the feedback so far?

-Eli
Got the regulars. I like them very much. Not obtrusive for everyday driving (but they are a little loud in the morning when the idle is rough). When you want to hear the song, just crack the window and jump on it.

Wife says "Paulina" sounds much better and likes the sound she hears from the house AM/PM.

Sweeeet music!
Old 04-13-2005 | 03:51 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

I just put on a set of the LOUDS on mine and I've had nothing but fun since..... They are pretty quiet even at start up. Just a quick rumble and then nothing. They are very quiet at stops and whenever I'm not stepping on it....

Old 04-13-2005 | 04:00 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Do you have a 24 hour monitor on your wife and kids? Get a life and get on with it. Worry about the important things and not your precious P-car which can be replaced.

A proffessionals who is determined that he wants your car will take it whether you are driving it or if it is parked. There are may devices available that will disable the Lo-jack anyway. Worry about something worth while.
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:08 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Hi Eli,

I got Lo-jack installed since new (about $600 to $700). Took about 30 mins to install. Like you I keep a close eye on the car, and avoid valet and street parking. Under these normal circumstances I don't think is necessary. But a nagging little voice in the back of my mind needed some sort of reassurance, and that voice was kept quiet with a Lo-jack install. Cheap mental health .

BTW: Over the weekend I placed my first order at Pelican (under the Drive Werks division), and today I received one of the items in the order. Thanks for stocking what I needed.

Cheers.
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fast40th
Hi Eli,

I got Lo-jack installed since new (about $600 to $700). Took about 30 mins to install. Like you I keep a close eye on the car, and avoid valet and street parking. Under these normal circumstances I don't think is necessary. But a nagging little voice in the back of my mind needed some sort of reassurance, and that voice was kept quiet with a Lo-jack install. Cheap mental health .

BTW: Over the weekend I placed my first order at Pelican (under the Drive Werks division), and today I received one of the items in the order. Thanks for stocking what I needed.

Cheers.
OK, but Lo-Jack does not prevent a car from getting stolen because it is, intentionally, stealth. It does help the Insurance and police by making it easier for a car to be recovered. I had it installed on my first Porsche during the rush of the purchase process (Sir, would you like to have the extra special rust inhibiting undercoating installed for only $400?). Then, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I didn't really care whether I recovered my car if it is stolen. In fact, I proabably would not want it back because, due to its high value, it is less likely to be written off for incidental damage (think Type II overrevs, and don't think that your dealer will feel sympathy because the dumba$$ thief can't heel and toe and hit third instead of fifth while he is "driving like he stole it"). Also, I realized that, from a statistical standpoint, my Porsche is far less likely to be stolen than a Honda or a Toyota. For these reasons, I said "no thanks" when I got my second Porsche.

Now, to the thief that just read this, I didn't say anything about saying no to spring guns, now did I?
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:02 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Yes TD, I agree with you. I didn't make a claim that Lo-jack would keep my car stealth and prevent it from getting stolen. This is my first P-car after 30 yrs waiting for it. So as I said I needed to quiet that nagging voice in the back of my head.

But most likely I won't install it on the next one (although I can't think of P-car #2... I love this thing!).

I've found where the unit is installed, and if I can find it - a professional crook can certainly do the same...

The best value I see at this point with the current install, is potentially assisting the police in catching the freaking idiots that decide stealing the car.
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:14 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Do you have a 24 hour monitor on your wife and kids? Get a life and get on with it. Worry about the important things and not your precious P-car which can be replaced.

A proffessionals who is determined that he wants your car will take it whether you are driving it or if it is parked. There are may devices available that will disable the Lo-jack anyway. Worry about something worth while.
Sorry to say but that is a reply that makes me a little "So you tell your family and friends to get a life and leave their house and garage door wide open? Why do material things need to be protected???? I'm not looking for your "IMO" comments here, and tell me to get a life just is rude!

It's been said many times before but I'm going to say it again because I hope that some day it will sink in & I'd like to know I helped: "IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING POS. TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL".

"Not very nice of you" Sorry to sound a bit harsh, I'm just trying to express how offensive your comments are to me".

-Eli
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:18 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Fast 40th. I hear you, and I don't blame you (I did the same thing myself). I am just trying to give everyone the benefit of my further reflection on the issue.

Eli, I'm just trying to save you some money because, IMHO, there are better uses for your money, particularly when I do not think that Lo-Jack, when you understand what it can and cannot do, will really give you peace of mind for the type of concern you have.

Quick Reply: Lo-Jack???