Sponsored by:

no use fighting the MOD sickness - EVO intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
Our Export Exhaust (I am assuming thats what you ordered) is louder and has a deeper growl than PSE. Both are great exhausts, and I agree none will give you HP so get the sound you want!
Intake looks great as well!!
Evan

sounds promising... do u have a soundclip?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:51 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c70Pete
Carlos,

280-290... that's a lot even with all the mods... definitely use the 18" RG5 Monolite for testing... they are the lightest around... and if you don't want them I'll take them off your hands!

depends what kind of dyno you test on... I'd try to use a standard one (whatever standard is) something that has recored a 996 @ 255 WHP cause thats' where its at.

look forward to seeing your results.

P.
hey pete,

ya, maybe wishful thinking (280~290HP).

thx but i'm holding on the the champions as my track set. just bought new dunlop r compound tires for cheap at the tire rack. didn't bother having them shaved. i figure i need as much tire depth as possible since i will be driving to the tracks on them (got a hitch but no trailer yet)
Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

who knows... you may just hit the 280 mark cause you have the headers + light flywheel... I wouldn't change the exhaust though... I know here in Canada we have 94 octane and GIAC makes a 93 octane specific program.. that may give you another 5 hp... actually from discussions with people who have modded I think you will be hitting 280HP with your mods... that cold air mod will surely put you over the top...looks like it does its job... the stock airbox gets hot too easily... I'm sure your car is very quick with all thes mods!

P.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that airbox, Where can i buy it?? I think i need it now, that i saw it!!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:38 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kilrgt
you know you want it you know need it

evoms.com - click on 996 on the left then click intake. be VERY careful, ignore the supercharger pics
Old 04-08-2005, 11:42 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kilrgt
hey kilrgt,

where did you get these pedals?
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2005, 12:07 AM
PK996C2
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Carlos,

Great mod. Congrats and thanks for the pix. I want to get this too and am really heartened by your comment that it was easy to install in 20 minutes. Like Dr.Peter above, I am still in warranty on mine so getting this thing out and putting the stock airbox back in before going to the dealer for any warranty work is key. So my questions are:
1.) Did Evo send along detailed installation instructions?
2.) Are any special tools required?
3.) I'm not a tinkerer...ie unskilled. Are there any special "watch-outs" that require special care lest you break something that'll cost a fortune to replace?

Any details would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:49 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PK996C2
Carlos,

Great mod. Congrats and thanks for the pix. I want to get this too and am really heartened by your comment that it was easy to install in 20 minutes. Like Dr.Peter above, I am still in warranty on mine so getting this thing out and putting the stock airbox back in before going to the dealer for any warranty work is key. So my questions are:
1.) Did Evo send along detailed installation instructions?
2.) Are any special tools required?
3.) I'm not a tinkerer...ie unskilled. Are there any special "watch-outs" that require special care lest you break something that'll cost a fortune to replace?

Any details would be appreciated. Thanks!
1. no, EVO did not enclose ANY instructions. quite surprising since i bought an evo intake for my former boxster which included very detailed instructions but that install took a few hours and lots of lost skin! once you take a look around the engine bay to see what is going on, you will soon realize that there' nothin to it.

2. EVO did include a security torx key to remove the MAF from the stock air box. be careful once the MAF is out. all you need is a metric socket set and socket wrench and a flat blade screw driver. there is only one bolt (13mm hex, i think) which holds the actual box onto the car. the screw driver is for the hose removal.

3. no special tricks. very straightforward.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:06 AM
DrPeter
Instructor

Got an answer from Evo's President;

"Hello Dr. ,Thank you for your e-mail in interest in our products. Our V-Flow air induction system is applicable to your X51 3.6L 996. We have tested them on all of the 996's as well as the 997's including the 3.8L. There are gains of 8-12 HP/TQ on all of the cars. It will not void your warranty. Feel free to contact me if you have any question or would like more detailed information.
Best Regards, Todd Zuccone"
Old 04-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How about a group buy? Anyone want to pursue that?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DrPeter
Got an answer from Evo's President;

"Hello Dr. ,Thank you for your e-mail in interest in our products. Our V-Flow air induction system is applicable to your X51 3.6L 996. We have tested them on all of the 996's as well as the 997's including the 3.8L. There are gains of 8-12 HP/TQ on all of the cars. It will not void your warranty. Feel free to contact me if you have any question or would like more detailed information.
Best Regards, Todd Zuccone"

i doubt his assurance on the warranty issue is binding on Porsche.

Reading the warranty book, imo this could be grounds for Porsche to balk: at minimum it gives them leverage.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:44 PM
DrPeter
Instructor

I was wondering if anyone had any hard experience on that one.....
Old 04-10-2005, 05:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! $600 bones? What would a group buy net price-wise? I just find it hard to justify $600 for minimal gain in power AND sound. With PSE on the car I really don't need the sound increase and the HP is marginal. Any insight?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

LVDell,

I hear you about the price to performance trade off... but you have to keep in mind that getting horsepower from a NA engine is gonna be pricey... 8 HP and better breathability and slightly better torque ain't bad - especially in concert with a chip.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

noted. I would rather spend the $600 on a track day though to get more out of the car. It does look cool though!

Quick Reply: no use fighting the MOD sickness - EVO intake