Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1 week of not driving +Flash rust = Grinding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 week of not driving +Flash rust = Grinding brakes?

Living in the city, I only ever get to drive my car from Friday night to Sunday night. Over the last month or two, I have had a troubling occurrence with my brakes. Every time I move the car, after it has been sitting for a week, I need to give the accelerator a tap to break the lock or bond that has occurred between the caliper and rotor. When I get out, I can see the distinct outline of my caliper on the rotor.

Then, for the next 20 miles, the brakes grind something fierce, lessened by my accelerating and wailing on them a few times. This last weekend, an almost deafening whine came out of the left rear, so much so that someone actually stopped me and told me they thought that I had a problem. The sound went away after I did the wail on the brake fix.

I have heard that Porsche brakes need to warm up a bit, but does anyone else have these sort of extreame issues with their brakes.

I am going in to have a tech inspection this weekend, so I get a better look over the weekend.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

They will do it in a weekend, let alone a week, especially if you put it away wet, or it rains. I scuff off the rotors going down the driveway. About a half a mile later everything smooths out. The rear brake noise should be looked into. If you can put the car away on a flat surface without engaging the park brake, that may help a bit. IE turn it off and leave it parked in gear, no park brake.

Last edited by Gretch; 04-08-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The rusting is normal when wet. However, taking 20 miles to fix the "grinding" noise is not normal at all. The first good application of the brakes should clean them completely. Additionally the noise from the rear is also not normal. You have the car looked at.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
7sport
Intermediate

The rust is normal, but the time its taking you to clear it off is certainly not. Usually by the time I get to the end of my street (hill) my brakes are clear, even after prolonged periods of sitting. How's your braking once the rust has been wiped clear?

Off Topic: My tires also get a little flatspotted from sitting for a while. Makes for a fun drive down the driveway on a cold morning when you combine cold engine, rusty rotors, flatspotted tires, and cold tranny. :-)
Old 04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

It takes a while for the rust to come off my rotors too. I can usually hear a slight grind from the rust for at least the first ten to fifteen times I apply the brakes after that there may be a little rust that is visible but does not produce an audible grind. So I always drive it back and forth a few time in the driveway after washing it to remove the water that causes the rust. It usually stops most of the rust from forming. The old ounce of prevention....
Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Well, its new pads and new brake fluid all around! Worn pads are what they say is the cause of my issue. As I have several track days this year, I am changing the fluid as well. They didn't take all the wheels off, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is something else. Car goes in over the week.

This track stuff is starting to add up. I really need my own garage!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rusting when you park for any significant period of time is normal - the time for it to clear depends on your driving style.

Around town I cruise and caress the brakes and it can take two days to clear. Out of town, two good hard 200 to 50 kmh decelerations will clear anything.....

....but I agree with the advice on the handbrake, leave it off if you can.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

What a timely thread, as I was just pondering the same thing after putting away my car wet over the weekend. A loud pop came from the rear wheels this morning as I nudged the accelerator after releasing the e-brake. After some rust-scrubbing of the brakes while pulling out of my neighborhood, the grinding sound disappeared and the brakes were fine. As many of you have mentioned, the rust on the rotors from the wetness is normal. Can I assume then you wouldn't need to drive it immediately after to scrub off the rust? Is there any harm in letting the rust sit until the next time you drive the car, say in a week?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:05 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The longer it sits the longer it will take for the scraping noise to disappear. I have seen no long term effects.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

chris, I am usually on the same schedule as you are. It sits garaged for most of the week and then on weekends I take her out... I haven't noticed anything as severe as you mentioned though.

OT: It was nice meeting you at the Pocono's a couple weeks back. Love the 996
Old 01-21-2006, 05:28 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, I am having the same issue with disc brake surface rust on my 02 C4S. If the car sits for more than two days, the handbrake gets stuck, and I need alot of throttle to get it dissengged for the first few feet. Then there's loads of squeeling noises from the pads & discs. After driving/softly braking for 5-6klms everything is normal. Whats wrong with the handbrake ? Anyone else experienced this ?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:38 AM
bryanMTL
Advanced

Exact same thing here, drive the car maybe once a week. If it's put away wet (right after washing it for example), i need quite a bit of throttle to break free. To make matters worse, the garage it's parked in can get pretty chilly.

Last week, only one of the rear wheels released for the first couple of feet!

In any case, by the time i get out of the parking garage (which as a few steep ramps), the grinding noise is pretty much gone.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read in an older EVO magazine that the same thing had happend to their 986S. Their local dealer knew the problem but not the solution. Could it be that the parking brake seizes ?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just depends where you park it....if it's cold and outside, you will notice the problem more. As for the parking brake, it's not a bad idea to leave it disengaged so as to prevent that rear wheel sticking because the rotors 'corrode' onto the pads and that's why it may take a little throttle to 'unstick' it. Either way, it's not big deal, but you can minimize these effects by never parking it wet, or getting the brakes nice and hot before parking it in the garage. If you're outside, there's not a lot you can do but just deal with it.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

As I do (and always rec'd when asked) is to NEVER use the p-brake unless it is absolutely needed. Use your car in gear when you shut it down.

Quick Reply: 1 week of not driving +Flash rust = Grinding brakes?