Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1 week of not driving +Flash rust = Grinding brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:51 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a common problem, I have the same issues. After the pop I hear the grinding and it disappears about 2 mins later. Have not felt any long term effects yet.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

before i put it away wet, i just ride the brakes a little when i get onto my street. problem solved. same thing when washing it. take a quick spin down the street and ride the brakes pulling into the garage. gives them a little heat and a good squee gee effect.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Don't worry about it, just drive more often. Rust happens between the time I wash the car and the time I get back outside after a shower to drive the car (on all types of cars I've had).
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Rust is something that happens on almost all cars after they've been washed.
This is a diffenernt case though. There is severe squeeking and disc pad contact. I also hear the same noises (hhhrrrshh hhhrrrshhh hhhrshhh repeat as needed !!!)
Above all though is the handbrake been completely stuck.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM
ebaker
Pro

I think the pop you here after parking with wet brakes is the pads rusting to the rotors, not the parking brake.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 PM
munro86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats right, its not the parking brake. There's this big 'THUMP' from the rear disc area as you release the clutch to reverse out. Nothing happens until the force built up from the power to the wheels breaks the rusted bond that has formed between the rotor and the pads-and it suddenly lets go. The first time I thought I'd broken something! It only happens if the car sits more than a week though.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I hear the clunk as well in week long outdoor parking. I assume it's a combo of cold moisture, cross drilled rotors and rust.

Originally Posted by munro86
Thats right, its not the parking brake. There's this big 'THUMP' from the rear disc area as you release the clutch to reverse out. Nothing happens until the force built up from the power to the wheels breaks the rusted bond that has formed between the rotor and the pads-and it suddenly lets go. The first time I thought I'd broken something! It only happens if the car sits more than a week though.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:22 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Again....normal. Indeed, all of my cars have had this tendency. Drive more. Ride the brakes before parking when wet if you park in a garage; else it really doesn't matter.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our cars I believe the e-brake is an entirely separate brake mechanism from the disc brakes and rotors. It's another brake on the inside of the wheel (a drum brake?). A redundant system, so that if your disc brake fails there's another brake to slow the car down. The pads may be sticking to the rotors, but the e-brake is something separate.

FWIW, I have the same problem after I wash the car, but it goes away after 1-2 applications of the brake.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The parking brake is separate from the rear disc brakes. It is a drum brake inside the top hat.

Our discs can rust in 12 hours if put away wet. After washing the car or driving in the wet. heat the brakes up before parking. Drive at a normal speed. Brake lightly then put your foot on the gas a drive with the brakes on (lighty) for a minute. Then park. Note, brakes first then foot back on the gas else the e-gas system on 2000 and newer cars will shut down the engine.

If left to rust for a week or more, it can take a lot of power to break the bond between the pads (which have metal elements) and the rotor. This can cause a brake warning light to show up temporairily.

Quick Reply: 1 week of not driving +Flash rust = Grinding brakes?