Sponsored by:

Esurance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:58 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esurance?

Does anybody use Esurance for there cars? I need to get out of Progressive. There rates have increased 20% in the last 6months. I live in Michigan. Thanks!

I am not able to post in the off-topic section! Sorry!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
jb26jb
Racer

I believe they are a division of Allstate, if so I would stay away.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mdillian3690
Does anybody use Esurance for there cars? I need to get out of Progressive. There rates have increased 20% in the last 6months. I live in Michigan. Thanks!

I am not able to post in the off-topic section! Sorry!
That's one of the many benefits of becoming a Rennlist member. Not to mention helping to support this site!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

As far as I know they are not a division of Allstate.
I have been using esurance for over a year now and they are great so far.
I switched to them when I bought my Boxster S. I have also a golf GTI with them and I pay about $ 1,500 a year for full coverage for both cars in the SF bay area. AAA was insuring my golf alone for that price !!!!
The great thing is that they are very helpful over the phone or by email not only when you buy your policy. I can log on and print my insurance card on the internet.
The reason why I switched to them besides the price was that when I was looking for the Boxster I did not want to waste 30 mns talking to an insurance agent and fax paper back and forth. It took me like 2 mns over the phone to get the insurance paper done.
I just wished they would insure my motorcycle as well.

I don't work for them just a happy customer.

Good Luck !!!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The only time that you really know if you have good Insurance is when you have an accident. I've had GEICO for a couple of decades and they have really been exceptional. I remeber when I totaled my 993. I was really concerned about what price GEICO would give me, especially after hearing some horror stories from some of my friends at work who told me that they Insurance Carriers gave them payouts near their cars' wholesale values. Well when GEICO gave me full retail value without any hastle, they got a customer for life.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Hello,

I agree with you that your experience can be perfect until you have to file a claim. This is really when your insurance is put to the test. But you cannot crash your car on purpose 2 weeks later just to check how good they are !!!!

However, you can have a bad experience well before you have to file a claim.
That was my case with AAA. After I bought the policy I could never get in touch with the agent. He was never returning my calls. He confirmed me over the phone that my wife was on the policy but when I got the contract she was not. He never mail me or fax me a new contract with her name on it. What would have happened if my wife had a claim? What would have been my chances just saying that the guy over the phone confirmed that she was on the policy?
Needless to say that I dropped AAA because I could not trust the agent. I did not feel comfortable paying a high premium to an agent who was not professional and reliable. Maybe if I had a claim it would have gone perfectly who knows. But when you buy insurance you buy peace of mind, so the impression you get through the various interactions with the agent are critical to make up your mind.

Personnaly I never liked Geico just because they buy radar guns to law enforcement hoping that they will get their money back by bumping up premiums after their customers got nailed for a speeding ticket.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
JasonY
8th Gear

I have Geico. Cheapest prices for the best coverages. Progressive is over double the premium Geico has never hassled me for a check from the numerous claims with my old VR4(all vandalism ).

Jason
Old 04-06-2005, 02:05 AM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it - when I bought the P-Car I switched from being a 15 year customer of State Farm to Geico because SF was just out of this world for the P-Car. Geico was downright cheap! I was worried about what would ever happen if I had to claim but you all are settling my nerves with your comments about them.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Mitty
Racer

Does Geico use OEM parts for repairs, or do they use what is cheap?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way the law is written in California is as follows;

No insurer shall require the use of non-OEM replacement crash parts in the repair of an automobile unless:

The parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of quality, safety, fit and performance; and
Insurers specifying the use fo non-OEM replacement crash parts shall pay the cost of any modifications to the parts which may become neccessary to effect the repair; and
Insurers specifying the use of non-OEM replacement crash parts warrant that all such parts are of like kind, quality, safety, fit and performance as OEM replacement crash parts.

Of course this is wide open for using non-OEM parts but I know you DO have the right to take it to whatever shop you want to for repairs (not particularly the one the insurance company suggests) and you are only required to get one quote. That being the case, I would insist on taking it to a reputable shop that used OEM parts. Does that work????
Old 04-07-2005, 09:13 AM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Thanks! I plan on trying Esurance.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:18 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Renaud Bizet, not to jinx you (knock on wood!) but any claims with them? how was the service? Because a local body shop told me they are slow in processing the paperwork with their adjusters?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Hi,

Well you just did, did not you? !!!!
Honestly I don't know and hopefully I won't have to.
I did move and when I updated my address on their site my premium changed.
I sent them an email to discuss the reasoning behind the premium difference and they called me right away. They looked for the information and got back to me with all the details and I did not have to follow up with them once. Each time I have used their customer service I have been very impressed, which is very rare for me.
In case of a claim it might be different, you would have to ask somebody who had a real experience on that matter with them. I don't know anybody else who uses esurance so I cannot help you.

Good Luck with your decision
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 AM
phwang20
Instructor

I'm an Allstate agent... I think my insurance and car is the best money can buy. =). You know how there are some noobs on this forum (uh... myself included) that you shake your head at and smile? You should hear some of the things customers tell me about insurance. My favorite is, "My sister's husband's best friend's older mother's uncle who worked for Starbucks has full coverage on 3 cars and is only paying $18/month!"

I've heard it all.. sadly 95% is untrue or it was just circumstance.

Quick Reply: Esurance?