996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any Nextel users? It interfiers with stereo system. GRRRR

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005 | 01:38 PM
syavik
Rennlist Member

Angry Any Nextel users? It interfiers with stereo system. GRRRR

Hello all. I have 02 C2 cab (Bose system) and I currently use Nextel as my phone provider and every time I'm on the phone, I get all sort of noise coming out from my speakers and I haven't had this problem with any other cars other then Porsche's (owned 3 with different stereo systems).
Does anyone has a solution besides changing a provider?
Thank you
Syavik
Old 03-25-2005 | 02:01 PM
rmani
Instructor

my nextel does this with computer speakers as well. It's only a problem if the phone is help right near the stereo source however so it hasn't been a problem for me.
Old 03-25-2005 | 02:31 PM
Steve L.
8th Gear

Nextel phones have always done this. There really is not fix other than trying to shield your phone somehow. The phones do the same thing next to computers, clock radios etc. A while back I called to complain and they said it had to do with the direct connect feature.
Old 03-25-2005 | 02:52 PM
syavik
Rennlist Member

Not good at all but that you for reply.
Old 03-25-2005 | 03:13 PM
rpratt
Advanced

I've also noticed interference between my GSM phones (Nokia 3595 and 6230) and the car stereos in my Porsche, Honda, BMW (all using OEM equipment) and Acura (with an aftermarket Sony head unit). There was no problem with older CDMA and TDMA equipment, this seems to be a GSM related issue.
The problem is primarily when the phone is in use, although occasionally I do have a short burst of static when the phone has to switch towers. No real solution, other than turning off the stereo when using the phone, instead of just muting it.

Bob
Old 03-25-2005 | 03:17 PM
bet
Drifting

Yes my GSM phone (motorola) with Cingular causes interference with my Porsche and BMW factory stereo's plus my computer speakers at work.
Old 03-25-2005 | 05:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You are hearing 217 Hz, which is the packet modulation frequency for GSM phones. Any GSM phone would do this; it's not specific to Nextel.

There is little to nothing you can do, short of plugging in an external antenna, which some Nextel phones provide for and some do not.

This is a very common problem in the design and qualification of vehicle level infotainment systems (specified as radiated susceptibility or radiated immunity) which is becoming more and more of an issue today.
Old 03-25-2005 | 06:51 PM
djantlive
Drifting

When the phone is away from HU, the sound goes away for me. My blackberry is even louder. It also makes a difference where you point the head of the phone. Try using a headphone so you can keep the phone further away from HU to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: Any Nextel users? It interfiers with stereo system. GRRRR