Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How serious is the oil starvation problem with R-compounds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that Motorsport Oiling Kit is part of the X51 package but it can be purchased seperately and yes, the BK kit is simply a depper oil "pan" with different baffling. I don't believe that the 3.6 was improved in terms of oiling compared to the 3.4 but I could be wrong. That Porsche Motorsport kit includes additional scavenge pumps and requires modifications to one of the valve covers. Either way, with R Compound tires, my X51 equipped 40 Jahre has had no issues and pressure is always up there. That said, I had no issues with my previous 2002 3.6 or my 1999 3.4 other than having to add a third radiator to both cars to keep them cooler at the track.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info Alon, thanks pal. My first engine mod will be the thrid radiator kit as well.

Chad
Old 03-23-2005, 07:12 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Alon
Yes, that Motorsport Oiling Kit is part of the X51 package but it can be purchased seperately and yes, the BK kit is simply a depper oil "pan" with different baffling. I don't believe that the 3.6 was improved in terms of oiling compared to the 3.4 but I could be wrong. That Porsche Motorsport kit includes additional scavenge pumps and requires modifications to one of the valve covers. Either way, with R Compound tires, my X51 equipped 40 Jahre has had no issues and pressure is always up there. That said, I had no issues with my previous 2002 3.6 or my 1999 3.4 other than having to add a third radiator to both cars to keep them cooler at the track.
Alon, I recall pretty specifically that the 3.6's oiling was improved compared to the 3.4. I'm going to go off and search now...
Old 03-23-2005, 11:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know the oiling systems on the 3.4 and 3.6 engines are very, very similar. The 3.6 (M96/03) has a slightly different crankase and larger main bearings to accommodate the longer stroke than the M96/01. The only difference I am aware of is the larger capacity oil pressure pump needed for the Variocam Plus in the 3.6. There were also some baffle updates that started on mid production 3.4s (not sure what year) and carried over to the 3.6. Both have single stage scavenging pumps instead of the dual stage pumps found with the X51 and Motorsports kits. The dual stage type scavenging pumps are also seen on the GT/TT engines. In my opinion the 3.6 is just as susceptible to potential oil starvation as the 3.4, but who knows how significant of a problem that is anyway.
JimB, I would like to know more about the setups run on those GrandAm cars , I didn't realize they were using "our" engines.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:59 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug,
You can check out the rules on the Grand Am site. They are very close to PCA stock class rules. No modifications to the engine after the intake and before the exhaust. I think they run around 3000 lbs. Spec Hoosiers. Stock brakes (I think). Obviously they strip their interiors and add fire systems and full cages. Very trick suspensions. Pretty much like my car except I have to run with two seats and leave the carpet in per PCA rules.

I tried to pry the teams for some setup info but didn't get far. They are pretty serious about their competition.
Jim

Quick Reply: How serious is the oil starvation problem with R-compounds?