Sponsored by:

Audible Notification of Alarm Activation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Audible Notification of Alarm Activation

Has anyone connected the horn to the alarm system so the horn honks whenever the alarm is activated? That's one thing I really miss about my BMW. I would think it would be fairly simple to connect the horn to the circuit that causes the turn signal lights to flash when the alarm is activated.

Anyone ever make this change?

Last edited by LiveNupe; 03-15-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldn't agree more.

BUT - the bright side is that i have to keep looking at the car as i am leaving to make sure that i can at least see the light system confirm that the alarm is engaged.

Dammed if we can fix it and dammed if we don't!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a horn for the alarm next to your battery. If you remove the battery cover you can see it next to the negative cable. It is round. If your alarm goes off (and you just see the flashing lights) and the alarm horn does not beep then you have a bad alarm horn.

The alarm horn has nothing to do with the 2 horns behind the front bumper cover that go on when you push on the air bag.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:25 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tool Pants,
Do you know if it's possible to connect the horn to the circuit that notifies you that the alarm is active? I'd like to have the horn just "chirp" when the doors lock in ADDITION to the blink of the lights to confirm that the alarm has been activated when I hit the button on the key fob.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can now see we were talking about 2 different things. You must have meant a sound signal when the alarm is turned on, not when it goes off.

The simple way is not to close the lid for the center storage box all the way so that it is latched closed. Then when you set the alarm you should get the chirp.

I have done this for years because it seems I am always in a hurry. I push the lock button on the remote as I am walking away from the car with my back to the car. Sometimes the remote is already in my pants pocket when I push the lock button.

When I hear the chirp I know the alarm is on. No time to stand facing the car to look at the flashing lights to let me know the alarm has been set.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Has anyone connected the horn to the alarm system so the horn honks whenever the alarm is activated? That's one thing I really miss about my BMW. I would think it would be fairly simple to connect the horn to the circuit that causes the turn signal lights to flash when the alarm is activated.

Anyone ever make this change?"

It's not that easy, actually. You can;t just wire up a horn or other sound device to the lights because every time the lights go on, they'll also trigger the horn. I think that I have figured out a way to intercept the signal coming from the alarm module that heads out to the lights and split it off to a small Piezo horn or something similar but I haven;t found the time to do it yet and my garage isn;t heated (it's been a damn cold winter). As soon as spring is here, I'll figure it out and post.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:56 PM
996apple
Track Day

I have a '99 Cab and the horn beeps when alarm/door is activated-------when the alarm remote is programed this can be added-------ya just have to get the dealer to do it takes about 5 minutes Apple
Old 03-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

What? Do you have details about what your dealer did to make this happen? I have been told time and time again by my dealer that this is not a programmable feature and most people leave their center compartment slightly open to activate the "beep" upon arming. I'd be very interested in learning more about what your dealer did.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM
damant
Advanced

easy , just disconnect the wire that attach to the radio head unit . this wire serves as a triger telling the brain that the head unit is removed. as the side effect when you arm, the car will beep once letting you know that one or more of alarn trigger points is not secured.

the only thing you need to keep in mind : everything else is secured ( door, hood, truck are closed properly); but that's easy right?...

beyond that, this "side effect" serves this purpose quite well.

enjoy and have fun.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

If someone made a toggle switch (not momentary contact) that matched the switches on the dash, you could make it selectable (like for when you need to sneak in at night)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
damant
Advanced

sneak i
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM
damant
Advanced

sneak in at night to your own garage and arm your car...why?
I can't seem to "sneak in" these days anywayzzz... The loud GHL is a dead give away : all the neighbors car alarms going off in greeting of my arival these days....LOL.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:51 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

- you might not have a garage
- you can glide the last quarter mile
- you might (like me) lock the car in the garage
- you might not want to disturb your bride's sleep when you come home from a business trip
- you might not have GHL's (although I do)
- you might have mixed feelings about the beep when you arm your car (I had it disabled on my truck) but it could be an excuse to replace a plug with a switch :-)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I thought of that Damant but for some reason, it didn't seem right.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:53 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the radio switch works on cars 02 and older, i replaced my system and did not hook that wire up, still no beep when i arm it

Quick Reply: Audible Notification of Alarm Activation