Sponsored by:

Question for waxing when car has clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for waxing when car has clear bra

I'm getting ready for some fun cwaxing the car and was wondering if anyone has advice on how and what to use when waxing the car when it has the paint protector or car bra? I'm not sure if it's 3M or another brand since I bought the car used and don't have that part for the records. It doesn't make sense to put wax over it and was wondering about the detailing when the wax gets into the edge of the film. Also, any advice/opinions on wax (hand on-hand off).

Thanks.

Gerardo
Old 03-05-2005, 11:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't comment on which wax to use (everyboddy has the own preference) but you CAN wax right over the claerbra. In fact, it makes it that much easier for bugs, etc, to wipe off with ease. If you do get wax around the edges of the clearbra just use a q-tip to to clean it away.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
gonz911
Pro

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Phillip
5th Gear

Hey there, i dont recommend waxing at all. Not that waxing doesnt protect ur car, but it's almost impossible to wax a car without putting scratches on the clear coat due to the particles in the air and ect. Picture one lil piece of sand on ur buffer or sponge and applying the wax on at the same time. Also washing is almost inevitable but can be limited. If u choose to wax it , be prepared to keep waxing it cuz ul need it .This is enuff of a reason that i only trust myself to wash it and ect.

not a genius but a fanatic

phillip
Old 03-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Phillip
Hey there, i dont recommend waxing at all. Not that waxing doesnt protect ur car, but it's almost impossible to wax a car without putting scratches on the clear coat due to the particles in the air and ect. Picture one lil piece of sand on ur buffer or sponge and applying the wax on at the same time. Also washing is almost inevitable but can be limited. If u choose to wax it , be prepared to keep waxing it cuz ul need it .This is enuff of a reason that i only trust myself to wash it and ect.

not a genius but a fanatic

phillip

what is ect?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Phillip
5th Gear

what is ect? it means , and so on
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 AM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Phillip
what is ect? it means , and so on

oh... you mean Etc..... I thought you were talking about some product I didn't know about...lol

so you don't wax? hmmmm I dunno about that one!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:21 AM
gonz911
Pro

Phillip,

Thanks for the response and that to an extent seems to make sense, however, doesn't the waxing process also help to eliminate/remove little scratches?

Thanks.

Gerardo
Old 03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Gerardo, you are exactly right. Not only does propoer care of the paint reduce scratches, but it protects it as well from damage caused by the sun, etc.

Not sure I agree at all with the no wax comment put forth by phillip nor will anybody else.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wax can only hurt your car if you don't wash all the debri completely. Wax will create a barrier and sealer to the paint from harmful acid rain, sun, light scratches.

Clear bra should be waxed like the rest of the car. Just don't rough up the edges. This is recommended by clear bra manufacturer.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 PM
gonz911
Pro

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm looking forward to the snow being gone and warming up a little so it will dry. I'm anxious to get started and to getting my wheels and Ruf kit to follow.

Thanks.

Gerardo
Old 03-14-2005, 06:42 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Gerardo, you are exactly right. Not only does propoer care of the paint reduce scratches, but it protects it as well from damage caused by the sun, etc.

Not sure I agree at all with the no wax comment put forth by phillip nor will anybody else.
C'mon Dell. Aren't you being a little harsh? If you take Phillip's reasoning a little further, it would be better never to wash the car as well. The layer of dirt should not be viewed as a sign of neglect, but rather a sign of love because that layer of dirt will protect the underlying paint from sun, scratches . . . hell, it will even prevent door dings if it is thick enough to form a cushion. Then, right before you sell the car (I mean, if you are selling, who cares about minute scratches), you can wash the car to reveal its virginal paint job maintained flawlessly. I think I found the excuse I needed never to wash my car again.

Quick Reply: Question for waxing when car has clear bra