996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Scratch that PM request. You need to email me if you want the article since I can't attach a file to a PM.

Cheers,
Dell
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're planning on changing the ride height of the car on a regular basis (and re-aligning it), coilovers are a waste of money. Go with either the ROW M030 or some H&R springs with Bilsteins.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note: My "period" key just quit so this post will look a bit weird

I really don't undertand all the comments suggesting M030 over PSS9s, The stock suspension is just fine, M030 improves handling, ROW M030 improves handling and improves the look of the car by lowering it slightly, H&Rs do everthing that M030 does but also allows you to set ride height which allows you to corner balance the car and change the front to back "rake", PSS9s do everything H&Rs do plus allow you to adjust damping, Motons and other dual/triple adjustables allow you to separately adjust compression and rebound,

I think each owner has to decide just how good they want their car to handle and how stiff a ride they are willing to put up with, They also must determine how much they are willing to spend,

To answer the original question, you'll eventually want both the anti-sway bars and the coilovers, I would get the coilovers first as they will have the most impact but that's just me,
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 01:32 AM
c4bliss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well from the sounds of it, the pss9's will give me the ride i am looking for, adjustable as i might need, and i would need sways no matter what system i choose. my local shop recommended that i buy the bilstien set up, and bring it to them to install. I found an excellent deal for it, and the boss gave me permission to "just do the damn car the way you want it!" So thanks all!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:12 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I can't lower ride height due to driveway restrictions. I just want to clean up understeer. It appears that the rear bar is the same from the specs that are posted above, so that doesn't look like my answer.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:50 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

leedav,
I would be a little sceptical about replace the rear bar with a stiffer one. First off, it's correcting your understeer by reducing rear grip. I'm not certain that reducing performance is the best answer to improving the car. Also, how do you know that it will be the right sway bar combo for your tires, your driving style, etc. By paying a little more for front and rear adjustable bars you will have much more control over understeer/oversteer. I'm not sure it's a good idea to take understeer out but if that's your goal then adjustable bars are the way to go.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like c4bliss is looking for a nice street ride that handles well with occasional track use. If that's it, I would really stop at the RoW 030, pss9's could turn your bliss into horror.
Do you really want to be doing constant chassis adjustments and alignments?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:39 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

C4S,
I don't understand your comments. Why would you be doing constant chassis and alignment adjustments with PSS9s? I think 99% of all users set the ride height, align and corner balance PSS9s once. You do retain the option of raising or lowering them if your needs/desires change but that isn't a frequent event. With M030s you are stuck with what comes in the box.

The only adjustment you do on a regular basis is to change the damping to change the stiffness of the car between the track and the street. That is literally a couple minute change. On single adjustable shocks it's also pretty easy to get is set right. Once you get to dual adjustable it gets a lot more complicated.

Am I missing something?
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 02:49 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

No Jim, you're not missing anything. Even the period key works.....

Alignment settings only need to be changed when ride height changes.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Hey Jim B., I thought you hate PSS9's, why is the sudden change of heart.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:01 PM
c4bliss
Racer

C4S, yes, it is a street ride for the 99% of the time. But it is not a daily, and is used on mountain roads for the most part, for "spirited drives". My shop tells me to set it at the 5/6 range and then we can adjust from there if required. What do most of you set your range at?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeeva,
Did I say I didn't like PSS9s? Maybe but I don't recall the context. What I like about PSS9s is that they allow quite a bit of flexibility without being very complex. That makes them a good street/track compromise. M030s are simple but the lack of height adjustment is a huge drawback. I think the base H&R coilovers are great. I had a set for a couple of years before my car became a racecar. I would recommend them to anyone except that for a small amount of additional money you can have some limited damping adjustment with the PSS9s. For most, the next step into multiple adjustables is not appropriate for the street. I guess that's why for a street/track car I like PSS9s.

BTW, I'm on a different computer so I temporarily have my period back. Does anyone know how to change the keyboard on a Sony Viao laptop?
Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
hayaku
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeeva
Hey Jim B., I thought you hate PSS9's, why is the sudden change of heart.

i don't read any like or dislike towards pss9 from JimB's post.. just facts that are relevent to any coilover/adjustable suspension... you don't change it after its setup, unless you are on a race team that adjusts for different tracks (ie: change springs, wheels/tires, alignment for the specific need).

for most de's/club racers, you set the ride height, corner balance once and leave it...

for jim's racing needs, the over the shelf pss9 will not meet his requirements.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know how many people with coilovers ever change their ride height. I don't think there's too many!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 996 Standard and Sport Suspensions Analyzed

Read a GREAT PCA article about M030,ROW30 suspension here:
996 Std & Sport Suspensions Analyzed

Quick Reply: Suspension questions