EBC Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Brake Pads

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking for dust-less or dust-lesser brake pads because i'm very sick and goddamned tired of cleaning rims. I hate it and its annoying.
Having said that, EBC makes two different kinds for porsche, the Green and the ceramic Reds. Your thoughts on these.
Do these reduced dust pads offer less performance than normal pads?

Car is used primarily as street car with track use being mostly DE and Solo I type events.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

There are some other posts that were made in the past about them. I've only used the greens. I liked them for street use in my BMW, but as I got faster on the track -- they wouldn't hold up. They are a great street pad in my opinion, and probably ok for autox. They have great initial bite, virtually no warm up, little dust, easy to modulate. I don't recommend using them on the track.

Though I have no experience with the reds, I've heard that they aren't that much more durable than the greens.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hmm...ok i guess i'll just look into the more popular companies then when the time comes to change pads. There's Pagid, Hawk, brembo (do they make their own pads or just brake systems), anyone else i'm missing?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Its so easy to change pads, and its difficult to find a pad that works well both street and track. I have been using Performance Friction 97 on my 996 on the track and I've been very happy with them. They are dusty and noisy on the street. On the street I just use stock pads.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

hmm.
what ur saying it would be wiser to use stock pads or similar on the street (porsche black pads are equipped stock right?) and then have a set of track only pads (PF, Pagid, whatver the case may be) which i can just slap on the night before an event.
if i go with this arrangement, will i see a significant reduction in the life of my rotors from the track pads?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Have used Mintex red box (lower dust pad like the EBC green) on an Audi TT and VW GTI with good results, but were not REAL hard on them. Have EBC greens on our MCS and they work fine. Never used them on a Porsche though...
Old 03-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Forget EBC Green, held up 6 (approx. 120km) laps at the Nurburgring on my 968 Clubsport. Get Reds if you must have EBC. I personally thing PAgid Blue would be the pad for you.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:46 PM
nv1271
Intermediate

Never tryed the EBC. If you drive only on the street get the Hawk HPS are the most dustless pads I've tryed. Mintex red are also good and cheap but do dust more than HPS. If you go on track days and you don't want to change pads try the Hawk HP-Plus they do dust more than HPS and Mindex but hold up better in the track. All three are squick-free and rotor friendly. Pagid sport are the best for combined driving but dust more than the above and cost to much for what they offer. Pagid orange are track oriented but will do fine on the road. They squick and dust the most, they are the most expensive of the group and in the track rotor unfriendly. I've tryed all the above. As you move from Mintex to HPS to HP to Sport to Orange the initial cold bite goes down and the heat resistance goes up.

It depends on the use of the car. I hope it helps
Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

ive run the ebc reds before, completely on the backing plates after 4hpde sessions at PIR, i would never use these pads again. keep in mind that this was on street tires in a car weighing only 2500lbs
spring for the hawk pads!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

The Hawk HPS wear very fast for me at the track.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Salazar
Advanced

EBCs are junk. Go with Pagid and get faster at cleaning wheels ; )

Quick Reply: EBC Brake Pads