996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cars sold through Auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after all this talk about no problem buying an auction car, i'm a bit confused as to why everyone criticized me and blamed the $47,000 spent on repairs in the first thousand miles on my car, simply because it was an auction car... and that it wouldn't have happened if it wouldn't have been an auction car.. hrmm...

but now, all is well... 3000 miles and counting... no problems yet, now that everything is replaced.. go figure i have the warranty now though <g>
Old 03-03-2005, 12:57 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Munro, I was close friends with a guy who went to auctions for dealers and I go with him to the auctions for kicks and to occasionally drive a car back. Many times you just don't know what you are getting. I wasn't referring to the high end auctions that Yetis mentions. These were the GM, Ford, etc. used cars with an occasional Porsche. I got it in my head that these were lease cars that looked good on the outside but were beat to sh*t by someone who did not care as long as the car looked good. There are too many private sales where I can talk with the owner, yada yada. It's a symptom of being **** I guess....
Old 03-03-2005, 01:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd be very leary of an auction car. Like Yetis said, if you can check it out first, great. However, usually you don't see the car well enough ahead of time to make an informed decision, you end up shooting from the hip. The majority of these cars are off-lease, hi-milage and off warranty, but you will sometmes find a diamond in the rough.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Run, don't walk frtom an auction car unless you know the car. As C4S said most times you do not have the opportunity to research the car before it comes onto the auction block. We once bought a truck at auction to save a few bucks, ended up it had been cobbled together and needed a new engine etc... never again.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Pardon me, but madhatter is buying the car from an independent dealer. At least that's what I think he said. The dealer, I gather, purchased the car at auction. So, madhatter can look the car over on the dealer's lot ... arrange to have a PPI done ... etc., etc., and then decide whether or not to buy. The discussion about buying the car AT THE AUCTION is off point.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by dave morris
Pardon me, but madhatter is buying the car from an independent dealer. At least that's what I think he said. The dealer, I gather, purchased the car at auction. So, madhatter can look the car over on the dealer's lot ... arrange to have a PPI done ... etc., etc., and then decide whether or not to buy. The discussion about buying the car AT THE AUCTION is off point.

thats what I was thinking
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I see it, it's no different than buying any other Porsche from an indie dealer. Get a PPI and let that speak for it. Tell us more about the dealer. Do they specialize in Porsches, or at least high end cars? Is the 996 you're considering sitting between a used Hyundai and a used Kia on the lot? Little things like this can add or detract from the comfort level.

If the car checks out on PPI, and the dealer checks out as far as their reputation, I'd say pull the trigger.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

For late model cars (Dealer only) Auctions are they way to go.
Where do you think those off lease cars still under warranty go?
Where do you think The dealers get their used inventory from and then they mark them up around 30% ! including Porsche dealers.

Check out these guys they allow you to buy at wholesale for a small fee, And you decide how much you want to pay before hand.Very reliable.

http://www.selectcarsdirect.com/

I bought several cars this way and saved thousands .
Say Elliot refer you.
Elliot
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
TurboMark
Pro

You can end up with a good or bad car either way. As I understand it, when your go to a hiline auction, cars run through bascially green, yellow and red lanes. If it is a green car, it has a clear title, no paint work, not totaled, etc. But that doesnt mean that there are no maintenance issues, etc.

Either way, its buyerbeware.

Quick Reply: Cars sold through Auction