Sponsored by:

WOOHOO - NEW RMS member

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 03:31 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOOHOO - NEW RMS member

just got a call from the mechanic. I have a minor RMS issue. Car is still under warranty though so at least that's covered. I was told that if it's the engine casing bolts, it is not covered though.

Service rep says that they are on the 3rd version of the seal fix. Says they haven't seen them come back in after this fix, which was implemented in Nov 2004.

Oh well, such is life.

BTW, it's a 99 cab with 36k miles on it. No previous problems.

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Rick3452
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

how did you know the rms was gone? driveway leaks etc.?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
msrc2
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm curious, when is a RMS issue minor??
Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by msrc2
Always, when told to you by the Dealer.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:15 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by msrc2
When covered by warranty
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would the engine casing bolts effect the warranty?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:05 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by SYMA
Why would the engine casing bolts effect the warranty?
oil pan? '99s had protruding bolt heads. a direct hit could crack the block. the tech is prob. trying to cover his ***.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

it is a minor issue b/c it is not leaking - my mechanic found that dirt and residue were formed in that area and attributed it to a rms leak. And yes, since it is under warranty, it is minor to me. I mentioned the bolts b/c that was what the tech told me was NOT covered under CPO and/or extended.

So, my perspective is that having spoken to my very trusted mechanic, who does not work for the dealership, he states that the latest solution (seal) for the rms issue seems to be working since no cars they have fixed have returned. He said that he sees a lot more with boxsters and has even seen 1 997 thus far. If it passes the pass/fail test, then I get a new seal and hope that it is fixed. If it does not pass, than I get a refurb engine, with 2 additional years of warranty. Either way, I am thankful that this was found now, while the car is under warranty.
Look at it this way, if they fix it and it leaks again, when the car is under warranty, then I can say that it is their fault. Yeah, I know, I probably won't win but no offense to anyone, it is just a car. I mean, there are more improtant things in life. Like my wife and daughter to name 2.

My mechanic found it when they were doing an oil change. HE always lookks over the entire car whenever he has it up on the rack. Doesn't even charge.

BTW...for those of you filled with angst b/c I am not more upset or angry...SAVE IT. I love the car but I own it, it does not own me. I am not going to sue Porsche, yada yada yada.

And for those of you who are saying to yoursleves right now, "Yeah, we'll just wait and see until it gets worse..." then yes, let's wait and see. Either way, it is still just a car.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a minor issue because you first said it leaked and now say it may not, as it was just dirt stuck to a film of oil. I have seen them with oil dripping on the ground. And either way it does not matter to you because your warranty will take care of it. Some non factory warranties do not cover true all leaks.

I have been Boxstering for 6 years. The tool to install the seal has been changed 4 times. The seal design has been changed 3 times. And now you have been told it is fixed. Like I never heard that before in 6 years on the internet message boards, local tech sessions, and the service guy that hands you the bill.

The latest 996/986 replacement seal is the same style used on the 997, and it sure looks like the 997 has the same issue. Seal is not the problem.

It is just a car. If you think of it this way and you will have fun. Life is too short....

There are more Boxsters than 996s by the way.

Guess what seal.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

never said it leaked. check my first post.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

hey Tool Pants - would it be correct to assume that if the engine passes the pass/fail test than the worst that could happen in the future is a rms leak and not that the engine needs to be replaced? Even if this is true, it would cost me about $800 per year which is $65 extra per month which in the big scheme of things, is not a big deal. Also, this would be if the rms failed each year. Highly unlikey but it could happen. At least I could be the first at this. haha
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

"WOOHOO - NEW RMS member"

"just got a call from the mechanic. I have a minor RMS issue"

You are right. You never said it leaked. So I do not understand why you put RMS in your messages. You should have said your mechanic found dirt or whatever. There is no reason for an RMS post other than the seal does not keep oil in the engine. A film, a drop, a puddle.

" BTW...for those of you filled with angst b/c I am not more upset or angry...SAVE IT. I love the car but I own it, it does not own me. I am not going to sue Porsche, yada yada yada."
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dont h8me
hey Tool Pants - would it be correct to assume that if the engine passes the pass/fail test than the worst that could happen in the future is a rms leak and not that the engine needs to be replaced? Even if this is true, it would cost me about $800 per year which is $65 extra per month which in the big scheme of things, is not a big deal. Also, this would be if the rms failed each year. Highly unlikey but it could happen. At least I could be the first at this. haha
There's a guy here in town on his third failed RMS in a year. A buddy of mine is on his 2nd or 3rd in a little over a year as well. I don't know how unlikely it is.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Well, there is a guy in my town. Except he tries to fix the crap made by Porsche.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...&st=0&#entry24

With the seal deal I hear 6 year old info and internet and garbage info. Gets old fast.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4333

Come to the tech session and learn.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 PM
dont h8me
Instructor

ok Tool. I checked out your links and the first one was extremely helpful. At least I know a lot better and I am much better informed when I talk to the dealer mechanic.

I put RMS in the title since that is what my mechanic told me. To clarify, he said that there was dirt and gunk building up due to a very small leak of oil which he believed was the rear mail seal. Can I post a RMS post now???? j/k

While we are quoting..

"With the seal deal I hear 6 year old info and internet and garbage info. Gets old fast." - what does that mean? clarify.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4333
this is a link to a 997 tech event in san jose?

"Come to the tech session and learn." Sure, just send me a plane ticket. Sort of presumptuous of you to assume that I don't attend tech sessions. I don't sense a little disdain in your typing do I? where's the love?

Quick Reply: WOOHOO - NEW RMS member