Sponsored by:

Help setting a value for my 996

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
AnthonySp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help setting a value for my 996

I recently put a deposit on a new 997S Cabriolet and am selling my car. However, I am having trouble deciding on a price to ask, The online pricing guides never seem to acct. for any options, etc.

I have a Midnight Blue 2003 Cabriolet with 19k miles, PSE (with switch), PSM, standard graphite interior, 18" Turbo Look wheels, some carbon fiber interior stuff.

If any of you have traded in a similar car lately, what did they offer you?

Any help on setting a fair value would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

The PSE doesn't increase the value. 19 K is quite high mileage for a 03. I just bought my 99 with 20 K.

The key in selling a car like this is focusing on the positive things (factory warranty, convertible) and lots of advertising. You really have to spend some money on this. If you want a quick sale, put it on ebay and see what it brings, around 60 K I would guess. If you want more for it, see above.

Last edited by turbo951fan; 03-01-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

It sounds like a great car. The difficulty is selling a high priced used car. Most people who can spend X, can Y for a new one with better financing. The market will certainly drive the selling price. Check comps at various vendors around your area. If the dealer will give a decent ACV or perhaps offer a reasonable over allowance, i.e. lower price on the new car it might be worth trading and being done with it. It is a buyers market for 996s.
Good luck. I hope it works out well for YOU.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 AM
keoni1978
Instructor

I just sold my 2002 Artic silver cab w/ 24k miles for $58,500. You are better off selling it through ebay, autotrader, cars.com....etc. I'm guessing you should get somewhere between $60k-$62k maybe a little more. Good luck
Old 03-02-2005, 11:44 AM
bdronsick
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 593 Posts

Used cars are always a "buyer's market" but don't let that stop you. There is a buyer for every Porsche. I've sold three vehicles on Autotrader, including a 993 back in '98 just after the 996 came out. Dealers didn't want to give squat in trade on my 993 because the new model was arriving. But I sold on autotrader.com to a Dr. 300 miles away who was looking for my exact options and paid almost $5K more than I owed. With a waiting list and near $100K price tag for new, highly optioned cabs, yours is a find at only 2/3 as much. I would emphasize it's under full factory warranty, plus the higher output of 3.6 in case potential buyers don't know the difference between pre and post facelift. That would put it closer in the buyer's mind to the 997; and at only 2/3 the price it might just sell quickly. Even if it doesn't, if you can afford to carry it for a while someone will eventually come along. As for price I would put it 1/2 way between KBB.com retail and trade-in. That way you get more than if you trade, and buyer pays less than if he bought from the dealer. Your only problem is if you write the ad well enough, and have the P-car to back it up, you will be tempted to just keep it. I always am.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Chicago996
Racer

bdronsick that's so true! 1.5 years, I thought of selling the c2 to help out with the house down payment. But when I finally got a solid buyer over the phone, I started to have second thoughts. The more he became interested, the less I became interested. By the end of the call, I told him that I have changed my mind and that made him even MORE interested! He gave me his number and told me to call him should I change my mind again. 1.5 years later, I still have it (& the house) and no notions of selling it anytime soon
Old 03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Lizard1
Racer

Originally Posted by turbo951fan
The PSE doesn't increase the value. 19 K is quite high mileage for a 03. I just bought my 99 with 20 K.
I'm not so sure i agree with that statement. 19K for 2 yrs is just under 10K/yr. I'd say about average for a daily driver, maybe even on the low side. I've got 14.5K on my '03 and I consider that almost too low for a daily driver

Your '99 that you just purchased with 20K is LOW, maybe even too low - i hope you got it PPI'd
Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chicago996
bdronsick that's so true! 1.5 years, I thought of selling the c2 to help out with the house down payment. But when I finally got a solid buyer over the phone, I started to have second thoughts. The more he became interested, the less I became interested. By the end of the call, I told him that I have changed my mind and that made him even MORE interested! He gave me his number and told me to call him should I change my mind again. 1.5 years later, I still have it (& the house) and no notions of selling it anytime soon
...and we call these "cars"...aren't the hondas and the buicks called the same...porsche ownership is something else...initially when my brothers asked me how I like my new car...I tell them, "trust me, I've driven cars, this is no "car", it's pure magic on four wheels."
Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Originally Posted by Lizard1
I'm not so sure i agree with that statement. 19K for 2 yrs is just under 10K/yr. I'd say about average for a daily driver, maybe even on the low side. I've got 14.5K on my '03 and I consider that almost too low for a daily driver

Your '99 that you just purchased with 20K is LOW, maybe even too low - i hope you got it PPI'd

I didn't want a daily driver. Condition/mileage usually go together. Mine is a 9 out of a 10. 10 being new.

I bought from a dealer I know. If anything's wrong with the car, they will stand behind it. PPI don't necessarily says much. The last 911 I sold (1991 C2 cab) went through a PPI when I sold it. It was running just fine, 93 K miles on it. I didn't have any problem at all. One month after I sold it, the headgaskets blew. It's a car, anything can go wrong anytime, a PPI only reflects the condition at the time of inspection.

Quick Reply: Help setting a value for my 996