Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Key remote flashes like always but won't unlock/lock door.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Key remote flashes like always but won't unlock/lock door.

Is it possible that the battery is low enough not to transmit but will still make the red light flash?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
Is it possible that the battery is low enough not to transmit but will still make the red light flash?
The same thing happens to me if I don't drive the car for a couple of days (eg. if I go away for a long weekend). I think the car shuts the remote down after a couple of days. When it happens I simply manually open the door with the key and then after that the remote works again.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
The same thing happens to me if I don't drive the car for a couple of days (eg. if I go away for a long weekend). I think the car shuts the remote down after a couple of days. When it happens I simply manually open the door with the key and then after that the remote works again.
Yes I know but this isn't what I'm talking about. I drive the car daily and coming out to the car from work yesterday the remote didn't open the door. Drove home and the remote wouldn't lock the door, etc..etc.

So I'm curious if it's simply the battery or if it's something else? I'm going to go by radio shack on the way home and replace the battery BUT I was curious if perhaps it was something else.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:08 PM
SoCalGreg
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I even went to the dealer and got two new keys programed - no improvement. It’s fairly infrequent, but it still happens. Of course it works perfect at the dealer. argg...
Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Yep, same thing happened to me with my 996--the battery started kicking out on me--replaced it and all was well [or just use your second key until that battery starts crapping and then replace both batteries].

It got to the point to where I had to be practically on top of the car for the doors to unlock even though the LED was flashing....kind of ruins the point of having "keyless entry" at that point!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:53 PM
uplarry
Intermediate

The same thing happens to me. I have to be right next to my car for the key to work. Even then I have to press the button several times or hold in the button for a long time. It is not a low battery. I've replaced the battery in my key several times. I also have two keys (one pretty new) and both exhibit this problem.

I have not taken the car in because of this. I have no confidence that my dealer could correctly diagnose and fix the issue.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:17 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Default Similar problem -- asked local dealer

I was told by them that the 996 actually has some "blind spots" where sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes mine works fine a ways away, sometimes it won't work even next to it. I believe there can also be interference from other RF sources...

How much is it to replace batteries, can you do it yourself?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All of the above.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by NickS
There is a TSB (9662) that came out in August 04 for older 996s. It concerns limited range for the remote and consists of directions for taking the remote receiver antenna out of the driver's A pillar and relocating it so that it receives a better signal.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Cydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my key has trouble communicating with the car, I solve the problem by putting the key into the driver's doorlock, turning the key to the right, then press the lock/unlock button on the key. It seems that this procedure resets or re-calibrates the signal of the key to the receiver in the car.

I believe this procedure is stated in the manual, but I may be wrong.

Cydog
The following users liked this post:
Linzee C (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Key remote flashes like always but won't unlock/lock door.