Sponsored by:

OT: Gran Turismo 4 is heaven second only to a real 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 210 Posts
Default OT: Gran Turismo 4 is heaven second only to a real 911

I've been playing this game nonstop since it's release yesterday. I even went and purchased the Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel. The physics are outstanding and the graphics are amazing, especially since it can pump out graphics at 1080i HDTV resolutions. GT4 has 700 cars and over 100 tracks. The game does feature cars by RUF, so you can get your Porsche fix. Do yourself a favor and get this game and practice on the tracks before the weather gets better!

Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The force feedback on the Logitech setup is supposed to be incredible. GT4 is only available for PS2, correct? Not for XBox?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

PS2 Only, but Forza Racing is coming out on Xbox and that one is awesome as well.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get back to work RJ
Old 02-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Schnell911
Intermediate

can´t wait to get it... it will only be released in 12 days here... that game just needed a real manual tranny to be perfect.... it must be soo great..
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No kidding!! I got mine tuesday night. SOOOOoooooo ADDICTING!! I can't wait for Spring and the real thing now!!

Chad
Old 02-24-2005, 04:35 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

A review from a friend of mine....

First, the cars. Yes, there are 700+ cars in this game. What they don't tell you is 699 of them are obscure toyotas from the 1980's. Want a Ferrari, too bad, want a Lambo, nope, how about a Porsche, nope, just a couple RUF's. ANY '05 Audi? Nope. Bentley Contie GT? Nope. Aston Martin DB1-6? **** off. The list goes on and on and ****ing on.

Next the graphics. This game would be considered to have GREAT graphics... a half a decade ago. The PS2 just doesn't have what it takes anymore to rival the X-Box. Of course the graphics don't make a game. That brings us to the next point...

The gameplay. You want a real driving simulator? You want a sense of speed and physics that make you think you're really driving? Well then sell the ****ing PS2, go by an old dreamcast and pick up Ferrari Challenge. I kept hearing how much improved the physics were in this game. I have decided that they simply is a ****ing lie. Sure it may be a tad bit better, but the cars have hardly any sense of weight, change direction WAY too easily, and just feel plain old "floaty". They've also ignored the AI for the other drivers. They STILL stick to one racing line and god help you if you're in it. Pass? Why do they need to pass when they can just come up from behind you and ram your ***. Yeah, there's some ****ing realism.

So, in conclusion, if you just can't wait till Forza comes out, or you like a more arcade feel to your racing sims, buy this game. If not, for the love of god wait, I sure wish I did...
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Umm...Nick. Dood...it's just a game. I think your friend needs relaxation therapy.

Chad

Good and bad for both : Forza vs. GT4 article
Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
Umm...Nick. Dood...it's just a game. I think your friend needs relaxation therapy.

Chad
I believe you're right.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
A review from a friend of mine....

First, the cars. Yes, there are 700+ cars in this game. What they don't tell you is 699 of them are obscure toyotas from the 1980's. Want a Ferrari, too bad, want a Lambo, nope, how about a Porsche, nope, just a couple RUF's. ANY '05 Audi? Nope. Bentley Contie GT? Nope. Aston Martin DB1-6? **** off. The list goes on and on and ****ing on.

Next the graphics. This game would be considered to have GREAT graphics... a half a decade ago. The PS2 just doesn't have what it takes anymore to rival the X-Box. Of course the graphics don't make a game. That brings us to the next point...

The gameplay. You want a real driving simulator? You want a sense of speed and physics that make you think you're really driving? Well then sell the ****ing PS2, go by an old dreamcast and pick up Ferrari Challenge. I kept hearing how much improved the physics were in this game. I have decided that they simply is a ****ing lie. Sure it may be a tad bit better, but the cars have hardly any sense of weight, change direction WAY too easily, and just feel plain old "floaty". They've also ignored the AI for the other drivers. They STILL stick to one racing line and god help you if you're in it. Pass? Why do they need to pass when they can just come up from behind you and ram your ***. Yeah, there's some ****ing realism.

So, in conclusion, if you just can't wait till Forza comes out, or you like a more arcade feel to your racing sims, buy this game. If not, for the love of god wait, I sure wish I did...

Audi is in the game. Ferarri, Lambo, and Porsche are not because Electronic Arts holds the license on PS2. Blame EA, not GT4. The graphics are better than any console racing game bar none. If you have an HDTV you'll see that instantly. I agree about the AI, it sucks, but I doubt Forza will be better... every other Microsoft sports game has fallen short.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the best part: GT4 includes the whole Nürburgring! Yep, the Nordschleife! huh... I wonder whether the game will help improve my driving there, or rather will make it (even) worse...
--Pierre
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The x-box underground need for speed is pretty fun. I played it over x-mas time at a friends house. However it was lame that the upgrades didn't show hp etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Is it worth buying the whole ps2/logitech periph./and GT4......My usual attention span with most X-box games is a few days only, is the gt4 that much better than most games...yes i'll be playing on 1080i HD.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I went through all the various video games and gizmos back in the mid 90's. It turned out cheaper to build and race a real race car, and more fun too. Back then it was Spec RX-7 and it cost about 500 bucks for a car and about 750 for the cage shocks and tires. What a blast. I hear they have a spec Miata series in SCCA now...but I guess the video gear is cheaper and better too.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

One complaint: Unlike GT3, you ALWAYS start in the back!!!! Bummer. What happened to the time trials?!! With the short number of laps, I have to soup up the car to awesome to catch the leader before the race is done and get the gold. After I catch the leader, the car is now so awesome it's boring.

Or maybe I have to RTFM!! I've been having so much fun I havent opened the darn manual. Heh-heh-heh.

Quick Reply: OT: Gran Turismo 4 is heaven second only to a real 911