996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ok.. So I've Narrowed It Down To 2 Choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How would the RUF front end hold up? Wouldn't you be plowing every ripple of the road? It'd be cracked in a jiffy. The rear wing doesn't look good IMO.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAAAYM, that's pretty much what i'm doing! i got a RUF look front bumper and am going to get gt3 mk2 side skirts and wing. i am kinda on the fence regarding the wing. it's IN YOUR FACE! i'm thinking maybe the turbo tail base with the RUF turbo wing.

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Times like this make me wish I had 2 cars and no Girlfriend to spend money on.
I'm trying to decide between two bodykits for my prefacelift car and changing lights is not an option because its just money down the drain.

1) GT3 RS Race kit.
Pros: Probably not a single one on the road in canada right now. Looks ultra agressive and is definitly different. Weight reduction because pannels will be fiberglass or CF.

Cons: Lots of Costs because every pannel needs to be replaced. New wider rims will be needed to fill out the wheel wells properly. Will require the car to be repainted because it would look like **** in grey. Widebody = Aero Drag = Lower topspeed and acceleration = bad.

2) RUF RGT (MY2000)

Pros: very sleek and stylish, would look great lowered. Only thing that needs to be changed is the front bumper, skirts and a wing. My choices would be bumper, GT3 skirts and an Aerokit II wing probably. Cheaper project overall and looks just as nice in silver. I can always add the fender flares from the new RGT RS if styling dictates but that will probably not be necessary.

Cons: Not as uber, but no big CUP wing to create drag. Any other cons i'm not considering?

Are there any other kits i should consider for a pre facelift car?
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Why throw all that money away on these mods/upgrades?

Buy a used GT3. It's got the look you want and performance to match. No mods necessary, just turn the key...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Why throw all that money away on these mods/upgrades?

Buy a used GT3. It's got the look you want and performance to match. No mods necessary, just turn the key...
show me one for 50K and i'll bite!!! i'm CHEAP!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

GT3 just isn't affordable yet, not with the depreciation hit i took on the 996. Besides, i still love the car and don't see the need 2 trade up just yet.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eli at Pelican
Doesn’t this contradict your thread starter when you said that facelift was a waste of money? If you like it then it’s not a waste of money…. -Eli
i meant it in the sense that i don't mind having the old style headlights as much and that the 2 grand i'd spend on changing them is better spent on performance mods IMO.

Alon: was going to order the PSS9's from www.shox.com... or anyone who can match or beat that price really. I talked to JRP and they wanted like 4grand, nuts to that.

karlooz: where did u get ur RUF look bumper?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Canadian distributor for H&R and Bilstein but with today's exchange, you may be better off buying them out of the U.S. You;re going to have to forget dealing with JRP from now on.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ yeah i think i'm going to have to burn their business cards and dance around the fire in some kind of primeval pagan ritual. although in their defence, they were very polite and prompt about clearing up any mistakes.

how much does ur supplier want for the bilsteins? it might be cheaper to go thru him since i'll be paying 7% in import duties anyhow + conversion.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll find out today. So is it the PSS9s or the H&Rs?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

PSS9's please. (will they work with my m030 sway bars or will i have to remove the swaybars and go with the GT3 or H&R sways)
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

karlooz: where did u get ur RUF look bumper?
i got it off ebay for ~800 from CDOC. not bad for carbon fiber but i have to be careful. CDOC had 4 ruf bumpers up for auction. i think they get it from getty design or mashaw.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:15 PM
JLJ

you are making a mistake plowing all this money into this car. save the cash and upgrade. i have learned my lesson in the past. a 2004 996 or a 2005 997 will be better all around then your car with all this stuff on it.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ because of the extra chassis stiffening from the C4 platform?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
JLJ

^ because of the extra chassis stiffening from the C4 platform?
everything, every year the cars get better as they iron out issues. i have been down the road you are going. my last car before the GT3 was a 2003 996 with x51..the mods began and it was silly. GT3 came and i lost a ton on the other car. GT3 is incredible. i test drove the 997 s and almost sold my GT3 because it was awesome too..997s would have been a nice compromise between a track car and road car. i decide to stay track focused so i kept GT3 but that 997s test drive opened my eyes ( WIDE)
modding a 99 will get you very little payback. im looking at all you are doing and want to do and im seeing 10 grand or so?? get a newer car ..trust me. or do some suspension work and leave it alone from there
Old 02-26-2005, 03:25 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLJ
everything, every year the cars get better as they iron out issues. i have been down the road you are going. my last car before the GT3 was a 2003 996 with x51..the mods began and it was silly. GT3 came and i lost a ton on the other car. GT3 is incredible. i test drove the 997 s and almost sold my GT3 because it was awesome too..997s would have been a nice compromise between a track car and road car. i decide to stay track focused so i kept GT3 but that 997s test drive opened my eyes ( WIDE)
modding a 99 will get you very little payback. im looking at all you are doing and want to do and im seeing 10 grand or so?? get a newer car ..trust me. or do some suspension work and leave it alone from there
again, show me a gt3 for 50K and i'll buy it right now! came late into the 996 game (had a boxster before) and benefitted from the massive depreciation. got my '99 for 38K and even if (when) i drop in an SC, aero and suspension bits it will end up costing 50~55K when all is said and done. gt3 performance, more HP than a gt3, just as good suspension, yes the chassis is not quite as rigid but i wouldn't feel it anyway. maybe you are pro racer and can notice these things but i am not. yes these parts aren't genuine porsche but i'm not such a tight butt about modding.

i know what i can afford and i can't afford a gt3 now. in 3 years i will probably get one but i want to live in the now not 3 years from now.

modding is fun and is a hobby so i enjoy it as much as driving the car. if you think that hobbies are a waste of money then "to each his own".

oh ya, try telling the 993 die hards they are wasting money on their older cars. they'll think you are out of your mind.

Quick Reply: Ok.. So I've Narrowed It Down To 2 Choices