996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ok.. So I've Narrowed It Down To 2 Choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
JLJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
again, show me a gt3 for 50K and i'll buy it right now! came late into the 996 game (had a boxster before) and benefitted from the massive depreciation. got my '99 for 38K and even if (when) i drop in an SC, aero and suspension bits it will end up costing 50~55K when all is said and done. gt3 performance, more HP than a gt3, just as good suspension, yes the chassis is not quite as rigid but i wouldn't feel it anyway. maybe you are pro racer and can notice these things but i am not. yes these parts aren't genuine porsche but i'm not such a tight butt about modding.

i know what i can afford and i can't afford a gt3 now. in 3 years i will probably get one but i want to live in the now not 3 years from now.

modding is fun and is a hobby so i enjoy it as much as driving the car. if you think that hobbies are a waste of money then "to each his own".

oh ya, try telling the 993 die hards they are wasting money on their older cars. they'll think you are out of your mind.
i didnt say you could get a GT3 for 50,000. it makes no sense to dump money into an older car when you can upgrade and be better out of the box. if you think you are getting GT3 performance out of a 99 with some mods then you are on crackthe car works as a package not as bits bolted on to an older chassis. 993 people modifying their cars are wasting their money if they want the best. if they want a modded 993 then go for it. newer is better period especially when it somes to porsche. thats all im saying.
and if you cant feel a stiffer chassis then why mod the suspension or anything else? are you sure you can feel them?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

JLJ, thanks for the input and you do make a valid point. For the next few years however i'm going to be keeping my current car, but i've decided not to dump as much $$$ into it and just drive it. Maybe down the road i'll be fortunate enough to snag a GT3 but untill then i'm "stuck" with the trusty silver bullet.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:00 PM
JLJ

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
JLJ, thanks for the input and you do make a valid point. For the next few years however i'm going to be keeping my current car, but i've decided not to dump as much $$$ into it and just drive it. Maybe down the road i'll be fortunate enough to snag a GT3 but untill then i'm "stuck" with the trusty silver bullet.
99 996 can go very well on track. when i first went to mosport with my 2003 x51 carrera with mo30 i had a hard time with a guy in a 99 996 with Bilsteins. my car stock was understeering , sqeeling and not as good thru the corners as his. i had 345 hp to his 296 but he was all over me. i went and got some GT3 sway bars, michelin pilot cups and a proper alignment from fiorano. next time at mosport the 99 996 was waaayyyyy behind.if he had done, aero kit and this and that it wouldnt have helped that much. thats all im saying.
im in ontario also. hook up with me at a track day and you can drive my GT3 if you like
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLJ
i didnt say you could get a GT3 for 50,000. it makes no sense to dump money into an older car when you can upgrade and be better out of the box. if you think you are getting GT3 performance out of a 99 with some mods then you are on crackthe car works as a package not as bits bolted on to an older chassis. 993 people modifying their cars are wasting their money if they want the best. if they want a modded 993 then go for it. newer is better period especially when it somes to porsche. thats all im saying.
and if you cant feel a stiffer chassis then why mod the suspension or anything else? are you sure you can feel them?
ya missed my point completely. no use beating a dead horse.

BTW, nope not on crack, just informed. peace
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

dude, do what floats your boat. saving 5Ks in mods is barely gonna get you closer to a gt3. your '99 trade is is gonna get 30~35K US now. how about 3 years from now... maybe 20~25K?. do the math. you'll still be 50K away from a gt3

some say it's a waste of money but what hobby isn't? waste money on making your look, perform, sound better. making the most of what you have now is not a crime. it's just a hobby. the views of "just get a gt3" is the EASY way out for those who are "privileged" enough to have one the best waste of money would be more track time!

not telling you what to do, just giving you the OTHER point of view.

carlos (used to live in toronto now in cali)

Last edited by karlooz; 02-28-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I say, do what you want to the car you have now, just don't go too crazy. Remember, you will NEVER get your money out of mods. Factory 'mods' are a different story, may actually add some value, for ex. x73, x51 etc as opposed to pss9's and a blower,( which will lose value in the car).
The market for modified pcars, esp aftermarket mods is very, very small. Mod your car, enjoy it now, don't worry about the next buyer. Just be realistic with yourself about getting your money out of the car later.
The easy answer is to get a GT3, but the timing/finances have got to be right.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Puppan
Instructor

Were do you get the bodykits for 996?

Regards
Pete
Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

lol..wow this thread is old

you can get bodykits from me!
what are you looking for?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the RUF kit. So when you're playing Gran Turismo 4 it looks correct.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:59 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe down the road i'll be fortunate enough to snag a GT3 but untill then i'm "stuck" with the trusty silver bullet.
Not a bad thing to be STUCK with...some would say blessed. You have a nice ride enjoy it and do what ever makes you happy!
Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what are the main differences between a GT3 chassis and a 996 chassis.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

bowman: i've decided to go with a GT2-esque style kit. The front bumper is an aftermarket gt2 style bumer designed for pre-facelift headlights, and the wing is the GT2M wing from minsha of 996 Wings.com. Side skirts will probably be Aerokit II skirts and the rear bumper will either be a modified Aerokit II bumper or a custom piece i'll get made just for myself.

jsaindc: I know its not a bad thing to be stuck with, and as i track the car more and more and have made a lot of suspension changes, i just love the car to bits.

Differences between the 996 Pre-Facelift Chassis and GT3 Chassis:

1) GT3's are seamwelded vs. spot welding for added rigidity.
2) GT3's have facelifted fronts which provide better airflow (less lift i believe)
3) GT3 chassis is based off the C4 chassis vs the C2 chassis so there are other areas in which it has been re-enforced.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

That RUF kit is a clean subtle look !
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

it seems to be quite popular. i've sold 2 of those RUF bumpers alredy, after having them on the site for only a week and a half. People seem to trust RUF quality greatly, and are willing to shell out the extra cash for it. the final product is quite stunning to behold in person.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default RUF all the way

it seems to be quite popular. i've sold 2 of those RUF bumpers alredy, after having them on the site for only a week and a half. People seem to trust RUF quality greatly, and are willing to shell out the extra cash for it. the final product is quite stunning to behold in person.
I wish my car to be finished with RUF, I just love the look of simplicity. The only thing I do not care for on the front bumper is the lower lip is to high, from the side it makes the car front look bent up (note example), which means that it would need a lip of some sort. Deadeye do you sell RUF parts.

Last edited by Mother; 09-23-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Ok.. So I've Narrowed It Down To 2 Choices