Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound clips (PSE, Fabspeed, B&B, GHL, Ruf)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Mitty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That reminds me of a funny thing I saw on an old Discovery Channel show, Beyond 2000. They had this small Citroën the size of a Subaru Justy/Geo Metro. They installed a “sound package” that had 8 or so different car exhaust sounds that was synched with the engine speed that fed into the car’s stereo. Select Chevy V8, Ferrari V12, Lotus Esprit or such and it would give you the sense you were driving that car. We need that to simulate the following exhausts:

Ruf
GHL
Fabspeed
speedART
Porsche
Gemballa
B&B
TechArt
Roock
Dansk

Cheers,
Darren
Old 02-28-2005, 10:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Darren I sent you the files, hope it helps. Sorry about the poor quality.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:52 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Darren, is the GHL clip the loud ones or regular?

I am leaning towards the GHL....when they are ready for the 997....
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Mitty
Racer

I’m guessing the clip is not the “loud” GHLs, but I am not sure. Anyone know how long the “loud” version has been out? I recently just heard of them.
Maybe we can get someone from GHL to record both for a comparison.
Sweet looking car, btw.

-Darren
Old 03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Mitty
Racer

I added 2 Ruf clips to the first post. Doug sent me these.

Darren, here you go. The recordings are from a PDA so the quality isn’t great. In person the Ruf is a very raspy sounding exhaust, more so than PSE.

Doug

Thanks Doug!

-Darren
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What I've got

By far the best sound ,and I had the PSE previously, is the GHL mufflers with the FVD sport cats.If complements and questions are any guide Invariably folks at the track want to know what I have done to the car. I was warned that I might get CEL's from the o2 sensor past the cat and I have only once.The car is running better in my mind and seems less stressed.I instruct a lot for PCA and so forth and spend a lot of time at VIR before the mod top speed on the back straight was 135 now it is 142.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:10 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The Ruf is a really well made exhaust with a very German sound if you will. Too bad the exchange rates have made it very hard to buy ($2K). If it wasn't for that they would have been my first choice, way better than PSE IMHO. I am very happy with my Fabspeeds, can't beat them for 1/2 the Ruf price.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Limey
AutoX

Default Bypass pipes

I've just installed the Fabspeed pipes and, although I love the sweet music, they are much, much louder than the video clip! The exhaust note on my car definately gets louder when the engine is hot also, at first I thought this was just with the mufflers but it has been the same with bypass pipes too.
I removed the fabspeed mufflers which I did really like; great sound, no resonance (they are for sale together with some RUF tips)
Old 05-12-2005, 03:00 AM
Rasta
Racer

Mitty, you're a GOD for putting all of these clips together.

So far, I like the PSE and the GHL's the best.

Who's got a Billy Boat they can share?

Other updates?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:58 AM
Mitty
Racer

I'm glad you found it useful. I have not heard much about Billy Boat on this forum. You can hear them on the link in the first post. They are the B&B link.
Dansk is also a brand I have not heard much about here.

-Darren
Old 05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by Mitty
I'm glad you found it useful. I have not heard much about Billy Boat on this forum. You can hear them on the link in the first post. They are the B&B link.
Dansk is also a brand I have not heard much about here.

-Darren
Haven't seen a lot of Cargraphics clips either, although I understand they are fairly popular.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

Im happy to say I just picked up an 03 996 TT.. and my only dissapointment with it is that it sounds like a honda , even when I get on it... I come from nice throaty AMGs, still have the E55.. I want my turbo to sound like an evil demon coming to send you to the reaper!!!!

I thought the fabspeed bypass pipes sounded the best by far, but im now scared off by the guys saying they are too loud, and cant talk in the car, etc...

But the other clips, like the fabspeed sport exhaust, and ghl.. sound kinda quiet to me.. Im hoping its all just from the camera recording , etc..

Also, it seems like the prices on the Fabspeed Sport are kinds high. $3k+.. It seems an awful lots for an exaust system. Are the GHL / PSE priced similarly?

thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 02:57 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Signal-9
Im happy to say I just picked up an 03 996 TT.. and my only dissapointment with it is that it sounds like a honda , even when I get on it... I come from nice throaty AMGs, still have the E55.. I want my turbo to sound like an evil demon coming to send you to the reaper!!!!

I thought the fabspeed bypass pipes sounded the best by far, but im now scared off by the guys saying they are too loud, and cant talk in the car, etc...

But the other clips, like the fabspeed sport exhaust, and ghl.. sound kinda quiet to me.. Im hoping its all just from the camera recording , etc..

Also, it seems like the prices on the Fabspeed Sport are kinds high. $3k+.. It seems an awful lots for an exaust system. Are the GHL / PSE priced similarly?

thanks
congrats on your purchase, i am jealous

unfortunately, there isn't PSE for the TT. a lot of TT guys have gone to europipe . i think there are 2 levels, quiet and loud. quiet is kind of a misnomer. it is louder than stock but not as loud as "loud".

you should really check out the 996TT board either here or on 6speedonline. actually there's a fabspeed loud for sale in the 6speed "for sale" section.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 PM
mellowyellow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mitty
Drivable around town without attracting too much attention (keeping your foot out of it, of course)? CHP glares?
Does it rattle your brain in the car?
If you're hardcore like Holger and me, you will love the bypass pipes. I love the way it sounds inside the car too. It's really not that loud inside even with the windows down. This is probably because the sound is going out the back as
you are moving forward. With the windows up, I can still have a decent cell phone conversation even on the freeway. I do believe the GT3 with bypass is louder than my standard 996 3.4. Keep in mind that I am referring to civilized throttle control, keeping the rpms below 4500. If you go WOT, you can hear the thing from 2 blocks away.

I wish I had a GT3
Old 06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Signal-9
Advanced

I have to say... I love the GT3.. they had two at the shop I got the Turbo from. They were only about 4k more then the turbo.. I drove one of them, and loved it.. But then I drove the turbo.. and it was just so much faster, there was no choice left.. and I dont mean it just felt faster.. Butt dyno aside.. I did a little 0 - 60 count silently, and the turbo was just plain fast.. But there is also no doubt, that its far more "unbalanced" and a brute. Gt3 was smooth and buttery..

Thanks for the exhaust info.. I plan to take pics this weekend, and will join up here and 6speed..

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound clips (PSE, Fabspeed, B&B, GHL, Ruf)