Sponsored by:

Rattling/clunking from PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
rxt27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling/clunking from PSE?

I just installed PSE on the C4S yeasterday and it is the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard, especially at 3k rpm and above. I never turn on the radio now and always roll down the window at all times. And couldn't get enough of driving this car. But I have a problem. I was driving normally, and a loud rattling/clunking sound came up. I looked down with the engine running, but I don't see nothing that cause this rattling/clunking noise. I went home and the noise is now gone. I am going in to the dealer tomorrow. Anybody knows what is happening?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The internal valve is known to loosen.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Have them check the cats with a rubber mallet. I've had 2 replaced already for rattling.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:17 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

I've had zero problems with mine, 2 years and 10K miles. No rattles or clunks... Sounds like an installation problem to me...

Roy
Old 02-17-2005, 07:06 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The actuator arms which control the valves are only pressed together, they can (and most likely will) loosen after enough miles. There is no way to tighten them, try some WD40 or axle lube as a band aid solution, otherwise weld them up. The heat shields are also very flimsy and can loosen and eventually fall off like mine did, this will produce the classic " loose beer can" sound. PSE, at least the early 3.4 version, has some significant build quality issues IMO, I hope the newer ones are better.
But since you had them installed yesterday, go right back to the dealer and have them fix or replace them.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 PM
rxt27
Advanced

The rattling noise happened only for 10 minutes. It wasn't making the noise too when I went to the dealer this morning, so they can't really check what's up. The only thing they can think of that is making the noise is the internal valve, like what you guys have all said. But I don't think they did anything to it. The head technician told me to drive it more often. Is his suggestion valid?

Quick Reply: Rattling/clunking from PSE?