Sponsored by:

iPOD and CDR23

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 06:06 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPOD and CDR23

Anyone installed an FM modulator in line with the antenna on the CDR-23? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM
bavarian
Instructor

You've come to the right place: I have tried most of them. Most important is your location. Here in the NYC area it is hopeless, and I have given up. There are just too many strong radio signals all over the spectrum. (BTW,I found many at everythingipod. com). From iTrip, to every other wireless FM modulator, until finally last month I bought a hardwired in-line FM modulator from Crutchfield and spent over an hour installing it. It worked great until I turned the ignition on, and that was it. There was so much interference from the engine that it drowned out most of the music. BTW, I had to buy 4 different connectors before I found one which fit into the back of the Becker. I now have quite a collection of (useless) accessories!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the data. Guess I'll just carry some CD's in the door pocket...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would suggest contacting the moderator of the Cayenne forum, Mudman2.
He has a hardwired FM modulator in his Cayenne (along with a pretty detailed install procedure/pics) and it works very very well.
He may be able to help out. Can't see why you problem can't e solved.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Freedom Fighter
AutoX

Of the least desirable is to use the FM Cassette with wire to connect the Ipod, provided you have the cassette player. It works fine, just have the wire running out of the radio to the Ipod.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here we go again

Freedom fighter - porsches that have the MOST Bus (which creates this problem of no AUX in) do not have a tape deck.

lee, my suggestion is (and this is personal, as i dont like to mod my cars that much) go with the iTrip FM Transmitter

cute little unit that goes on top of the iPod, and lets you use any station you want.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Wish the iTrip worked. I returned mine and paid the restocking fee (sigh)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 AM
jaxxon
Intermediate

I use the Itrip all the time. It doesn't work great, but I've found if you turn the volume down on the ipod to about 50% vs the 80-90% they recommend , and compensate with volume on the stereo it works alright. I've had problems in NYC however where there are more frequencies being used, but outside of the city its ok.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iTrip works great, don't know what you're talking about leedav...

and i'm in the NYC area, most of the radio stations are taken or have interference
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Ekename
Pro

If you're not comitted to the Becker and are willing to spend $400-$500 you can get an Alpine with an iPod controller. I'm looking at one now. One good feature is the ability to navigate the ipod using the head unit controls. Navigating the ipod while driving is a good way to have an accident.

Tim
Old 02-11-2005, 11:24 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Tim - I keep hearing that the MOST system runs fiber optic cable to the rear amps, and it's a major thrash to install an aftermarket system. Have you heard differently?

Moogle - Maybe I had a bad unit. I tried it in 4 different cars, and none of them got good enough reception for me to want to keep it.

Last edited by leedav; 02-11-2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: silly remark
Old 02-11-2005, 11:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ekename,

How does navigating the ipod using the Alpine head unit SAFER than using your ipod directly. Not sure I understand your logic there.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:35 PM
bavarian
Instructor

Moogle, I have the iTrip and it blows (I live within 15 miles of NYC and commute). I've tried all available frequencies.

Ekename, with the fiberoptic MOST unit, you can't just replace the head unit--wish I could.

The only hope was Dension who is supposedly working on a link, but they have been making promises for 2 years without delivering...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

I tried the iTrip too. The signal strength is just not strong enough because Griffin does not offer an external power source and runs it off the iPod battery. While it is neat and compact, the transmission quality suffers because of this. Also, the iTrip uses "songs" stored on the iPod to tell the unit what frquency to broadcast on. If you keep these "songs" on the drive and have your iPod on random, when it hits the "song", it will change the frequency on you. If you delete the "song" off the iPod, and you run into a conflicting station, you have no way to change the frequency. It's a poorly thought out design.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

I received a Belkin Tunecast II for Christmas and use it with my Pocket PC. You can see the iPod version (which is probably the same as mine except the color) at:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166893

It will run off batteries or you can plug it in (if you don't mind the wire). The sound quality is not perfect but it is pretty good. I have not used it IN NYC but I have used it NEAR NYC without any problems.

Barry

Quick Reply: iPOD and CDR23