Sponsored by:

Windscreen wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:49 AM
AD996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreen wipers

Yep, it's raining in Melbourne, first time for months in fact first time I have used the wipers on the 996.

I replaced the blades, ours go hard in the heat, cleaned the window all look great, but the wipers chatter and jump all over the place, lousy wipers, the wipe is clean but the jumping not only noisy but embarassing when someone's eyeing you car in traffic, is this the norm with 996 or are mine tired some how.

Any ideas or, must I live with it.

Cheers

AD
Old 02-02-2005, 02:08 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AD996
Yep, it's raining in Melbourne, first time for months in fact first time I have used the wipers on the 996.

I replaced the blades, ours go hard in the heat, cleaned the window all look great, but the wipers chatter and jump all over the place, lousy wipers, the wipe is clean but the jumping not only noisy but embarassing when someone's eyeing you car in traffic, is this the norm with 996 or are mine tired some how.

Cheers

AD
Hmmm, try a different brand of windshield washer fluid. Washer fluids usually have additives to help keep the wiper blades from sticking. If that doesn't work, maybe try a different brand of wiper blades -- PIAA makes silicone wiper blades that are pretty good.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Speed
Pro

Porsche came out with new blades about a year ago that go a long way to solving this problem. I don't have the part number but someone posted it last year and if you do a search you should be able to find it.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:33 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I generally wipe the blades when I wash the car in hopes of them lasting longer and longer life for the windshield. results remain to be seen. Does anyone else bother, and does it help?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

The glass surface of your windscreen is probably dirty--try running your hand over the surface--it should be very smooth. If not, this will make your blades perform poorly even if they are new. Maybe once per year, I use a random orbital polisher and a glass cleaner ( Bon Ami works too ). It's amazing the amount of grit/pollutants adhere to the glass when you live in and around the city. If you drive on the highway, small pits are created be debris that will etch the glass--the random orbital sander takes care of some of this as well. The smoother/cleaner the glass--the better the rubber blades will work--no matter who makes them.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:26 AM
AD996
Intermediate

You may have a point re polishing, it is gritty.
I'll try Porsche for a P/N re blades as the LHS is a curved blade where as the one I fitted is flat, that may have an issue as well.
Anyway, we had wettest day on record over 150 years, 120mm in 24 hours, so maybe I won't have to worry to much of a re occurance.

Cheers

AD
Old 02-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AD996

Cheers

AD
You need to smooth your windshield's suface and get the new Porsche blades. In the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain. Even when its sunny it rains. I have used with real good results RainX on the windshield. Its easy to put on...best with two coats. The water beads and blows off the windshield at speed. You can get RainX at any auto supply store.

If your windshild is real gritty...use a very fine steele wool "000" grit. Make sure the windshild is wet and soapy. Rub the steele wool back and forth VERY LIGHTLY...rinse and repeat. The windshild surface will be very smooth...then clean with Windex or good glass cleaner...now apply two coats of RainX.

Use Porsche blades. The new ones are terrific. Old ones used to be debossed with the word "Porsche". New ones are not. The part number is 996-628-901-08 about $35.00 US at Sunset Porsche. They are much better than the old blades

Used together they do a super job.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 AM
AD996
Intermediate

Many thanks.

AD
Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 AM
bavarian
Instructor

Be careful using steel wool--I destroyed the windshield on my 993 Targa some years ago when I made the mistake of using the small pad that comes with the car(for polishing the steel door sill) on my glass. That was an expensive lesson ($900)!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
rnlarctic997
Rennlist Member

Ditto what bavarian says--I do not recommend steel wool--just use a sponge applicator on a random orbital sander with Bon Ami--stay off the rubber/plastic--you will get great results and won't scratch the glass.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarian
Be careful using steel wool--I destroyed the windshield on my 993 Targa some years ago when I made the mistake of using the small pad that comes with the car(for polishing the steel door sill) on my glass. That was an expensive lesson ($900)!
Absolutely correct. Steel wool works great on the windshield to take the grit off...but ONLY with VERY GENTLE PRESSURE on a wet and soapy windshield.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Greg L.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you are going to use steel wool, you want the 0000 variety. I have used it on the entire outside surface of the windscreen of my 2001 996 without damage. I used Sprayway glass cleaner with the steel wool. Afterwards the glass was smoother and driving into the sun much easier.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:19 PM
AD996
Intermediate

Actually upon inspection I've a few scratches & chips so I'll get a screen guy to fix the chips and polish at the same time. I'm loathed to use the steel wool!

AD

Quick Reply: Windscreen wipers