Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got a cool letter from Porsche yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
I did one of those a few years back about the Cayenne prior to its intro. It's a complete waste of time. Let me explain...

It's a focus group run by a marketing firm. You sit in a hi-rise downtown conference room with a two-way mirror and it's tightly run and guided by a moderator. My group had about 8 people in it (myself and 1 other 996 owner and enthusiast, 1 guy who bought a 996 because it was good to drive his big dog around in, 1 guy who bought one for his wife (he drove it 3 times and damaged it each time) and the rest were women who didn't own P-cars and could care less about cars). The moderator asks a bunch of stupid marketing questions (what adjectives do you think of when you hear "Porsche"?) related to image, etc. There's some vague talk about the new model. Any pertinant comments from you as an owner/enthusiast that don't mesh with the thinking of the moderator get pushed aside for gibberish from the people who've never even owned, let alone driven, a P-car.

It's all BS. The marketing people have these predetermined ideas that they want the "public" to rubber stamp so they can use it as a CYA if things go bad down the line. If you don't mouth what they want to hear, you're ignored.

One interesting discussion area involved motorsports. Myself and the other car guy said that P-car owners want to see Porsche compete at the highest levels of road/endurance racing again and that this was a common feeling among owners. We were shouted down by the others who didn't attend, watch or care about races. They came to the brilliant conclusion that Nascar or F1 would be a good place for Porsche to be...if it had to do some racing.

Take the 200 bucks, eat their snack foods & soda and try not to get too frustrated by some of the stupidity you'll see & hear. Maybe your focus group will be more interesting than the one I participated in, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
And the bad news is these folks are today's majority Pcar buyer - not us enthusiasts.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
And the bad news is these folks are today's majority Pcar buyer - not us enthusiasts.
Ben, that's funny as I was thinking the same thing as I was writing about my experience. As we all know, in the long run to keep selling high margin sports cars, the company will have to listen to its enthusiast customers and not just soccer moms or the value of the brand turns to dust.

My focus group was filled with mostly morons because they couldn't get Pcar owners to show up for the money they were offering (as others have mentioned, most owners' time is worth more than $50/hour). I did it out of curiosity and to possibly have some input on future product/direction. Big waste of time, as there were only 2 of us that knew anything about Pcars (or cars in general) and we were ignored or pushed aside on most of the issues...which sort of mirrors the direction Porsche is headed.

I thought the new focus groups might be about the sedan, but it's too early for that. The guess about the Boxster coupe is probably right. At the end, you'll get to see some commercials for it and discuss them. That's the reason for the group after they stereotype what type of consumer you are from the discussion beforehand.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
HAHA! niice...200$ and you don't even have to buy a timeshare .

if you get a chance, please tell them: FIX RMS, LIGHTER WEIGHT, MAKE 997 GT3 Very Hardcore.
Just make the GT3 for the USA again with the 997 shell!! and make it with the right engine!!! PLEASE!!! Even if it means the same engine as the current one .

Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the call for the focus group and was offered plan A or B the extended group with discussion.
I chose B (more money).
Having graduated from one of the leading design schools in the country, ACCD these events really are alot of fun to me, and I bring a different perspective. Done enough of them, to know the drill.
Was at one for mini-vans, and the other people were amazed when I pointed out that the focus van was really a clay model
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

God hopes they don't want your opinion on some new 4 door sedan with great stereo and auto transmission, or worse yet, a pepper pickup!!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:10 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Believe it's for the Cayman the 2 seat coupe'
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a call today and I'm going to the focus group on the 19th. It is definitely for a new coupe, so my guess is the new Boxster Coupe. I wonder if I can sneak some shots with my cell phone camera.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
VikDiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chicago996
Apparently, I have been chosen by PCNA to participate in some survey. The wording on the letter says they want my impressions on various new p-vehicles. It’s supposed to take 2.5 hours and I get paid $200 (whoo hoo) for it. I’m supposed to get a call in the next 2 weeks from the marketing company to get things in motion. I’m wondering whether the “impressions” are strictly related to what I hear/see around me or whether I’m actually going to get paid for some seat time in a new 911/Pepper/Box/??? I’m psyched to do either one!
I am also participating in this in Chicago. Although I am doing the longer session which is for $400. I did this a year and a half ago. Assumming we are participating in the same thing, pretty much what you do is go into a room with poster boards of many different cars. You answer a bunch of questions and what you like about each or if they had this option would you buy it. That type of stuff. It wasn't too bad, but I have a feeling this time with the group session it might be frustrating.

When are you going? I am scheduled for the 11th of February.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
VikDiddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fast40th
I've done some of these in the past with BMW. Who knows you might even get to see an upcoming prototype. Enjoy and take some spy shots!
They have STRICT security at the place and do not allow any electronic devices. They scan you with a metal detector to make sure.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

I was told that we would be inspecting the new model in person INDIVIDUALLY before the focus group. They don't want us influencing each other's opinion when actually viewing the car.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 PM
jimbo8351
Track Day

I'm scheduled to attend a session in Boston Thursday at 6:00 PM. It's at a big exhibition hall so I was hoping to actually see a prototype or mockup. I'll let you know what happened.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Chicago996
Racer

I haven't heard anything as far as to when/where and what I'm going to be doing. Sounds like a lot of folks found out in the last day, so I'm hoping there is a call waiting for me when I get home tonight!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
HenryM
Advanced

I'm scheduled to attend the Chicago (suburban, ick) event at 4:00 P.M. on Friday, February 11. May be interesting.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Bford100
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

I got the same letter today. How many tank fulls of premium does $200.00 buy me?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bford100
I got the same letter today. How many tank fulls of premium does $200.00 buy me?
Around 6 or 7, depending where you buy gas...

Quick Reply: Got a cool letter from Porsche yesterday!