Z06 vs P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Toothdoc,
I did read your post. I think you have a point that a completely inept driver in a fuel dragster could be beaten by an ace in a honda, if the inept guy never hit the gas. I concede.
Here's my point. When you hit the gas, you were probably in an appropriate gear. If the other guy needed .5 seconds to recognize that it was a "race", or .5 seconds to downshift, or .5 seconds to consider if he wanted to accept the idiocy of racing on the street, then you could well be over 100 mph before the guy could begin to catch up. At about the time you catch up to traffic or wake up to what you're doing, it's too late for the other guy to catch up. I fail to see the expertise in straight line driving on open highways, but I accept that you are very good at it.
Re my X50, my point was only that I understand how quick a 996 can be, and by that standard, the C6 is quick. I have driven na 996's and feel that the C6 would not lose, but for a delayed start, wrong gear, better sense, or someone who never figured out that you need to remain in a lower gear as long as possible (and I've also ridden with some of those)
Given challenging conditions, the better driver can give away a lot of hp and finish a lap ahead of the more powerful car. I just don't think a nod in traffic or a surge of acceleration is an accurate starting point for the evaluation. If you do, then we differ in opinion.
I'm delighted that GM has raised the bar on sports car performance. A Porsche should be better in all regards for the price it commands. As the Boxster comes closer to the 997, and the vette comes closer to the tt, and the ZO6 beats them all, we are going to have to come up with a new story to justify 20K annual depreciation, thousand dollar tune ups, and near 6 figure purchase prices. Til then we have to kid ourselves that our car is better than the cheaper alternative. AS

True, true...

Porshce hopefully will repsond by increasing the 911s content vs decreasing the price.

Its all about value ultimately.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Toothdoc,
I did read your post. I think you have a point that a completely inept driver in a fuel dragster could be beaten by an ace in a honda, if the inept guy never hit the gas. I concede.
Here's my point. When you hit the gas, you were probably in an appropriate gear. If the other guy needed .5 seconds to recognize that it was a "race", or .5 seconds to downshift, or .5 seconds to consider if he wanted to accept the idiocy of racing on the street, then you could well be over 100 mph before the guy could begin to catch up. At about the time you catch up to traffic or wake up to what you're doing, it's too late for the other guy to catch up. I fail to see the expertise in straight line driving on open highways, but I accept that you are very good at it.
Re my X50, my point was only that I understand how quick a 996 can be, and by that standard, the C6 is quick. I have driven na 996's and feel that the C6 would not lose, but for a delayed start, wrong gear, better sense, or someone who never figured out that you need to remain in a lower gear as long as possible (and I've also ridden with some of those)
Given challenging conditions, the better driver can give away a lot of hp and finish a lap ahead of the more powerful car. I just don't think a nod in traffic or a surge of acceleration is an accurate starting point for the evaluation. If you do, then we differ in opinion.
I'm delighted that GM has raised the bar on sports car performance. A Porsche should be better in all regards for the price it commands. As the Boxster comes closer to the 997, and the vette comes closer to the tt, and the ZO6 beats them all, we are going to have to come up with a new story to justify 20K annual depreciation, thousand dollar tune ups, and near 6 figure purchase prices. Til then we have to kid ourselves that our car is better than the cheaper alternative. AS
Very well written post. I've never purchased a new Porsche, so I've never experienced the huge depreciation that unfortunately some Porsche owners have experienced. Valley Motors in MD has a 2004 40th anniversary Porsche with 1500 miles on sale for $69K. If they are selling it for $69K, I can't imagine that they gave the guy more than $62K for his car. That's serious depreciation in one year.

Nevertheless, I still love Porsches. I love the way they handle and they certainly get lots of heads to turn. Are they worth more than $20K more than a C6? The answer to that is yes for those who can afford it. Otherwise, the buyer of a a $50K C6 can console himself with the fact that his car is faster than most 911s.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:01 PM
996TTPorsche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess there are a lot of idiots on this board then C4S. Your going to tell me you have never driven your car hard in the open road? You did buy a Porsche not a VW. I highly doubt the majority of people on here have access to a track. Everyone has been guilty one time or another.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 996TTPorsche
I guess there are a lot of idiots on this board then C4S. Your going to tell me you have never driven your car hard in the open road? You did buy a Porsche not a VW. I highly doubt the majority of people on here have access to a track. Everyone has been guilty one time or another.
My guess would be that everyone is guilty almost on a daily basis provided that traffic permits it. I'm fortunate enough to live in the country so I'm probably more guilty than most. But as your post suggests, why would I spend all that money for a sports car if I didn't have any intention of dribving it hard. Now of course there's hard driving and there's insane driving. I engage in the former but not the latter.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs P-car?