996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, lots of people have some serious issues, and didn't read my post... as said, it was simply my opinion... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, after all that's what america is about, right? <g>

i was simply stating the fact that an american car, what it be, corvette, viper, whatever... imho cannot compare to a foreign car in any aspect but speed and some other minor advantages imho.. it's like the post comparing a ferrari to a porsche.. they are different animals.. both with their positives and negatives... (parts costs being one of them that american cars has the win on as well) no american car can even compare to the craftsmanship of a a8, bmw 7, s-class, lexus, range rover, etc... imho

if speed is all that matters, why doesn't everyone just buy a dodge viper? i'm not partial to any specific car types.. and not a porschephile by any means... i'm simply indicating i have yet to see an american car, that has the sophistication of a high end european automobile... i can see that slowly changing.. but at the current time... america still has a long ways to go with refinement of their automobiles once again "imho" to even compete with foreign automakers in this category.. when it comes to bigger engines and brute force, america wins there... and if tht's all you care about.. all the power to you...

ever been inside a fully loaded $70k cadillac escalade ext platinum edition (the epitomy of american luxury and refinement in an suv) and then into a new range rover at the same price? 'nuff said.. (stepping down from soap box again)

in terms of the other topic brought up.. about my redneck statement...

in terms of stereotypes... 4/5 of the states chose to re-elect bush as president.. doesn't that say something about the general state of a large majority of the american population? <g> (keep in mind i'm american as well, so i'm not some foreigner just bashing america.. )

all stereotypes are out there for a reason.. because to a certain extent they are true to a varied degree, but not in all cases by any means..

Last edited by bobporsche996; 01-28-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:07 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I wanted an NSX way back when. When I was ready for my mid-life crisis, NSX was outdated and not in the same class as the 996. So, I ended up with the C4S, with absolutely no regrets.

I know they've upgraded, improved or done something to the NSX. I don't know what since I've never looked back. But, now I'm curious. Have you driven the "new" NSX? How improved is it over the old?
Well I was originally looking to buy a 95-97NSX-T and than boost the crap out of it. I went to drive an F355 one day and after that wound up driving an 02 NSX w/ Comptech exhaust.

The NSX was more comfortable, seemed better put together, had incredibly neutral handling and somehow felt FASTER. Add in the $12k 30k mile svc on the f355 vs the typical honda "oil change q/ 3K miles" and I was sold.

The major updates to the 02 NSX are

3.2L 290HP engine. The engine itself received various i/h/e tweaks.
Higher quality interior - perf leather surfaces and the option to have color-keyed leather (matching exterior).
6spd trans
reworked front end and aero (no more pop-ups)
Higher top speed 177 vs 168.

While 290HP doesnt sound like a lot, I really love the NSX driving position, comfort, great handling and directional linearity. A true race car for the street.
The mid engine layout contributes to lower drivetrain losses so most NSXs dyno ~255 to the wheels. the NSX while dated is still a great looker and I bet its sttill competitive with a 996, 997 or 996C4s (higher weight).

Oh another reason I love the NSX so much...a *real* "targa" roof. I love the option for open-air motoring, while not losing the hard top for track use or spirited drives.
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2005, 07:13 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

bob, you are officially the most electrifying person on this board..........
Old 01-28-2005, 07:16 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

thanks.. i'd prefer politically incorrect.. i simply state the reality of the situation and could care less if certain people have their *** so uptight, they can't handle it... relax, it's life... no need to be so serious about certain issues.. life is made to laugh at, not to take completely seriously after all, from the previous posters.. we live in america.. the land of free speech <g>
Old 01-28-2005, 07:20 PM
qirex
Racer

Okay, okay

I know its a porsche forum, but here's one more.

Yes, the NSX will get pimp-slapped (backhand) by a 996TT, ZO6 etc...but damn I love driving this thing.
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
bob, you are officially the most electrifying person on this board..........
Yep, the poster boy for stereotypical characterizations. I think this line says it all: in terms of stereotypes... 4/5 of the states chose to re-elect bush as president.. doesn't that say something about the general state of a large majority of the american population

I have to admit though that life must be very simple for people like Bob. You can quickly judge people and pigeonhole them in a second or two.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:01 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

fast1,

if you listen to most any psychologist or read most any book on the human pysche, you will find that characterization to be correct... the human being creates assumptions on people subconciously within the first few seconds of seeing them and hearing them talk..

as goes with most every other encounter in this world... when one sits in a car they might buy, enters a house they might purchase, enters a dining establishment, etc... while it may seem shallow to judge something within the first few seconds, this is simply the way the human psyche works on a subconcious level, whether one wants to believe it or not... and from those first few seconds.. it's a uphill battle trying to change one's mind... having been best friends with a psychologist for several years, i was proven wrong everytime trying to refute this matter...

since this is a car enthusiast forum, i'm sure many people relate... when you go to buy a car... don't you know within the first few seconds, if you want to even test drive it? or if you don't want to waste your time.. and if you do test drive the vehicle after not having good first impressions of it... it's an uphill battle, trying to sell yourself on the merits of the vehicle after the first assumption... yet if you like the vehicle within the first few seconds, you try to sell yourself on the merits the car has if you find any faults in it... i'm sure everyone can relate to this car buying experience.. especially when it comes to used cars...

not to get off topic, but since you brought it up :> and for you to call me simple, is quite a hypocritical statement.. you don't even know me, so i'd call that a stereotype, wouldn't you?

it's kind of like when i had my engine issues.. people made up their minds as soon as they read my posts.. it didn't matter how many receipts i had to back it up or what i said.. those that resd my posts and thought i was making it all up, continued to believe it for weeks on end.. until another well respected rennlister that saw my car at the porsche dealership backed up my story after talking to the service advisor...

but anyways this is a porsche forum.. so enuff of this.. btw, that blue lowered nsx with the rims is very very nice... compliments to the owner.. nicely done.. very clean...
Old 01-28-2005, 09:15 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you listen to most any psychologist or read most any book on the human pysche

Hey Bob! That's why you keep breaking your Porsche. You're always trying to over analyze it. Stop with the bitching, will you. Go drive the car and leave us alone.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:23 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

i actually just got back from driving 50 miles.. my porsche is running great.. 1,500 miles on it this year and no problems yet :> and not overanalyzing anything.. simply responding to fast1's comment.. take it as you wish... nobody forces you to read my posts.. just skip them if you would rather not read them, simple as that :>
Old 01-28-2005, 09:27 PM
qirex
Racer

I used to think like you did bob, until I made a friend with a 350lb Harley-riding texan named.

Its easy to cubbyhole my bud as a beer swilling (he is), hog riding (yep) redneck racist texan.

However, my bud is one of the most knowledgable and concientious people I know. I can take him anywhere - and he is able to hang. DOes it bother him that his exterior appearance makes narrowminded ppl cubbyhole him?

Nope...He's just enjoying all that life has to offer.

Sure 95% of ppl out there may be idiots, but the 5%. The 5%'ers have a duty to rise above all the BS and decide things for themselves.

Hopefully, when I leave your broken 996 in the dust with my boosted X you'll at least wave - instead of cross the street, clutch your pocketbook, call the cops, hide your (female) children and all the other stuff that weak, scared, biggoted white ppl do when they're confronted with a strong, intelligent, handsome rich black man...

hows that for stereotyping?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
fahren affair
Pro

bob, your post reminds me of this quote:

"stop worring about what people think of you. most people are consumed with what others think of them."

if driving a porsche makes other people think better about you, then you bought for all the *right* reasons...
Old 01-30-2005, 11:46 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qirex
Okay, okay

I know its a porsche forum, but here's one more.

Yes, the NSX will get pimp-slapped (backhand) by a 996TT, ZO6 etc...but damn I love driving this thing.
Nice pictures Qirex. sniff, I miss my NSX. Sure, it was so slow so as to be off-topic in this thread, but oh, so much fun to drive!

kristap
Old 01-31-2005, 05:43 AM
Biernut
Track Day

"and all the other stuff that weak, scared, biggoted white ppl do"

Is that the same thing that weak, scared, biggoted black ppl do, or aren't there any of those? God I wish I could be a strong, intelligent, handsome rich black man...
Old 01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fahren affair
bob, your post reminds me of this quote:

if driving a porsche makes other people think better about you, then you bought for all the *right* reasons...
I bought my Porsche primarily for its style and performance, but I also like the image Porshe conveys. When I see another Porsche, I know that its owner is a serious car enthusiast who is satisfied with nothing but the best.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

fast1,

i think that more applies in the 911 area.. after seeing all the soccer moms in cayennes and people that can't drive or care about anything but looking "cool" in a two seater porsche in some boxsters... (not to indicate that doesn't apply in the 911 area.. simply more in the other two variations available seems to be more the case) of course, my standard disclaimer.. imho :>

when it comes to pre 97 porsches on the other hand...usually that's a way to show a true porsche enthusiast..

Quick Reply: Z06 vs P-car?