996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm done with this. LeMans versus NASCAR. That's it. See ya.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:14 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Mine as well buy a dodge magnum...I am sure that bitch slaps the Porsche too!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Originally Posted by gabbagabbahey
No way will the Z06 be sold new for anywhere near 50K in a couple of years; there are too many extra's like Mag roof, AL frame, dry sump, carbon fenders, tweeked engine etc built into its raw material costs. Perhaps 60K down the road if it starts at 65K, but they can only make 6,000 or so I've read a year.

What long term reliabilty issues has the relatively simple C5 suffered, ala 996 RMS, to make the new Z06 a worry? I think for track fun, this car will be a hoot and wicked fast.

I should have clarified. I didn't mean you'd get them new for near $50k. I just meant you can get one (on the market somewhere) for that. In other words, used.

My point was just think of the car that will be available for 50K: a 500 hp / 500 lb-ft torque, beast for $50K!
That's all I meant.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonz911
I'm done with this. LeMans versus NASCAR. That's it. See ya.
You do realise that the Corvette is a LeMans winner too right? I don't know where you guys get this NASCAR association with a Vette? NASCAR is about sedans. The Vette is a Le Mans winner as wells as an ALMS winner and races in the same classes as Porsches; they are direct competitors.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Biernut
Track Day

VETTE = NASCAR? I guess no one has heard of the LeMans winning C5R?!?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:17 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
You do realise that the Corvette is a LeMans winner too right? I don't know where you guys get this NASCAR association with a Vette? NASCAR is about sedans. The Vette is a Le Mans winner as wells as an ALMS winner and races in the same classes as Porsches; they are direct competitors.
You just saved Rennlist for me.

And it's like, wtf has Porsche done in LeMans lately?

Porsche is more my style than a Corvette, but I can appreciate a car for what it is. Numbers do not lie.

Add value to the mix and the Porsche 911 looks sorry.

Add prestige, history, sound, and a lil' floss to it, and the Corvette is a distant memory.

But, again, facts are facts. The C6 is more than a match for the 997 line-up and if everyone can agree here, the 997s own the 996s. Not to say I don't think 996s aren't sweet, but hey, it's OK to embrace progress. That's why we love cars. They just get sweeter.

I recently drove the C6. It's faster than the N/A 996s and is similar to the 997S in speed. Feel-wise, looks wise, prestige-wise, interior wise, sound wise.. 997S just does it for me. But if I see a dude in a C6 at the track or in the twisties, damn right I'll recognize
Old 01-27-2005, 07:29 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Before any of you put Porsche to bed for the Vette just wait and see what reliability and long term performance issues arise from the new vette...

I think we will see some major problems with it so hold your horses there Porsche bashers....

IT IS STILL A GM CAR AND THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE FOR ME!!!
1. I'm not sure we can question the C6's reliability with RMS leaks being so rampant. The advantage with old technology is that it's tried and proven, so the prospects for better than average reliability is good for the C6 Z06.
2. I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't read any that bashed Porsches. There were lots of very informative posts regarding the Z06's engine and suspension, but I didn't read any bashing. Unless you consider it bashing if someone admires a car that doesn't have a Porsche logo. On the other hand I did read a lot of Z06 and GM bashing.
3. The only thing that bothers me about the Z06 is that it's sold at a Chevy dealership. Although I'm certain that there are good GM dealers out there, the one near me is terrible. The salesman who showed me the C6 was the poster child for what youy shouldn't do if you are trying to sell a $50K car. Tactics that work for selling $20K cars just don't cut it for high end cars. Also, the service area looked like a mess. My local Porsche dealer by contrast has top notch sales and service departments. GM IMO makes a huge misstake selling Vettes at Chevy deaalers. They should be sold at Cadillac dealerships. The Cadillac dealer near me is comparable to my local Porsche dealer in terms of sales and service.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
2. I read all of the posts on this thread and didn't read any that bashed Porsches. There were lots of very informative posts regarding the Z06's engine and suspension, but I didn't read any bashing. Unless you consider it bashing if someone admires a car that doesn't have a Porsche logo. On the other hand I did read a lot of Z06 and GM bashing.
[Reverting back to 12 years old]

Well duh. This is a Porsche board isn't it? What did you expect?

I'm sure there's plenty of Porsche bashing on www.mullet.com. I mean, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/

Old 01-27-2005, 11:34 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that's fine and all but some of us are true car enthusiasts who appreciate cars that are outstanding. The Corvette is American yes.. but at the price, handling and power.. it's a great buy no matter how you look at it. The only thing I can't get over it before was the interior.. now it's much improved. The other thing that sorta is bothersome is the stigma.. which some of the snobbish Porsche owners here perpetuate.

The 2 points some have brought up hasn't even been justified yet..

NASCAR ?

Leaf Springs?

Besides watching Top Gear and hearing them say so, why is it bad? If you're a critic, at least know what you are talking about right?

If Hyundai makes a superb car, that handles well, looks great, has awesome power and is reliable.. at a great price.. I'd buy it. It's all about the car. Now of course, the only problem is, every jackass is gonna get one too, hehe.

Anyway, the past Z06 and other vettes I considered with even a Boxster S, and both times I've chosen the Porsche. We'll see how the new one stacks up when I go check em out.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:46 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Ditto KJM. My impression is that we are car enthusiasts who happen to own Porsches, but in the past or future may have to decide between many makes. At that point brand and "history" are less relevant than the inherent qualities of the product. Porsche is coming closer to the edge of a mistake of resting too much on their aura and not giving value to enthusiasts. This will give success with the crowd that doesn't gain enjoyment from driving but does from Valet-envy.
GM deserves a giant thank-you from Porsche enthusiasts because they have raised the bar, and Porsche is going to have to step up. This means we will see a tt with 500+ hp, and hopefully will see better priced true enthusiast cars.
It's hard to claim LeMans heritage when the 996 engine isn't remotely connected to the competition engine, and springs RMS leaks randomly. It's hard to keep the hearts of enthusiasts when you don't stand behind PCCB brakes and withdraw warranty coverage if the car is tracked. If GM can add carbon fiber fenders, heads up instrument displays (perhaps not for everyone), and lower weight while adding content, why can't Porsche. It's great to have a choice, and I am eager to see how Porsche responds to the challenge. As long as they can keep their 12% margin without adding content, they will.
The major risk is that Porsche will switch to a sedan SUV market to capitalize on their brand name. Hopefully, they will recognize the need to be technological leaders in the sports car world as well.
Lastly, for the Nascar bashers. Have you ever driven a Winston Cup car? It's a blast. and don't forget that Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson compete successfully at that race of Champions in Spain (Paris last year I think) against F1, rally, and endurance racers. Gordon has won there and I believe Johnson has as well. AS
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Scott_in_Houston

Well duh. This is a Porsche board isn't it? What did you expect?

I'm sure there's plenty of Porsche bashing on www.mullet.com. I mean, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/

I expect mature responses from car enthusiasts and that's what the majority of posters provided. I invite you to go to a Corvette forum, and you'll find that almost of the posters respect Porsches. For your convenience, here's a link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain
Old 01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
I expect mature responses from car enthusiasts and that's what the majority of posters provided. I invite you to go to a Corvette forum, and you'll find that almost of the posters respect Porsches. For your convenience, here's a link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain

Lighten up a little. I'm just having fun w/ ya.
If you look at all my posts regarding the C6, you'll see that I really like it and respect it as well.

Poking fun at the Vette stereo-type is just too easy.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:22 PM
gonz911
Pro

Wow, you guys are over-the-top with this Vette thing. Okay, I brought up the NASCAR thing because there you will fiind the grunt horse power all of you who are so high on with the Vette. Personally speaking, I can't stand the NASCAR roundy-round racing and all the cars look the same and cheap in appearance -- hence the comparison to the Vette. Like I said it's itchy and the front end looks like a Mitsubishi. I could care less how much you all admire the damn thing. You can build a racer or even put some money into an old-school Vette that'll blow the pants off on anything they want to put out. As a matter of fact you can do that with a Porsche. So get off of it.

As for the "maturity" thing, give me a break fella and don't get your panties all bundled up. As another post put it, it's a P-O-R-S-C-H-E forum with proud owners and admirers of the marque. Whi in the heck has to tolerate someone going on and on about a goofy looking and cheap production of a Vette? I know I don't and I don't have to take your advice and temper my rhetoric. Go tell it to someone who cares perhaps on a Vette forum as you suggest. Quite frankly I don't have to go to another forum and waste my time with others who don't share in my passion -- PORSCHE. Get over it.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Scott_in_Houston
Lighten up a little. I'm just having fun w/ ya.
If you look at all my posts regarding the C6, you'll see that I really like it and respect it as well.

Poking fun at the Vette stereo-type is just too easy.
Okay Scott. Peace.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by gonz911
Wow, you guys are over-the-top with this Vette thing. Okay, I brought up the NASCAR thing because there you will fiind the grunt horse power all of you who are so high on with the Vette. Personally speaking, I can't stand the NASCAR roundy-round racing and all the cars look the same and cheap in appearance -- hence the comparison to the Vette. Like I said it's itchy and the front end looks like a Mitsubishi. I could care less how much you all admire the damn thing. You can build a racer or even put some money into an old-school Vette that'll blow the pants off on anything they want to put out. As a matter of fact you can do that with a Porsche. So get off of it.

As for the "maturity" thing, give me a break fella and don't get your panties all bundled up. As another post put it, it's a P-O-R-S-C-H-E forum with proud owners and admirers of the marque. Whi in the heck has to tolerate someone going on and on about a goofy looking and cheap production of a Vette? I know I don't and I don't have to take your advice and temper my rhetoric. Go tell it to someone who cares perhaps on a Vette forum as you suggest. Quite frankly I don't have to go to another forum and waste my time with others who don't share in my passion -- PORSCHE. Get over it.
So let me get this right, if I admire what GM is doing with the Z06, I don't appreciate Porsches? I own a Porsche but I'm not married to one. I think it's okay if I admire more than one car. But if you believe otherwise, so be it.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs P-car?