Z06 vs P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I find it funny that the only way that Chevy could get 500 HP was to use a big 7 liter engine. Let's see...I get much better gas mileage that the Z06 AND it will never see anything but my taillights. Now tell me where Chevy's improved technology is? It is better, but anyone can make more HP by putting bigger pistons in an engine.
The ZO6 is a very impressive package. Why put it down because it's a Chevy? It has twin pump dry sump lubrication, all aluminum chassis, weight saving magnesium and carbon fiber, six piston calipers, titanium valves and connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft and is aero tuned.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 PM
mtb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I've said before on this forum, I test drove several C6 vettes and came close to buying one before finding my 996. The vette was a rocket (there truly is no substitue for cubic inches) and handled quite well. The interior quality was SIGNIFICANTLY better than any previous vette. The downside was a laziness in the steering (although better than older vettes) and a general lack of communication between the steering wheel, pedals and you. The 996 is far superior in driver "feel" and I feel the interior is much better quality.

Given the Z06 will be a C6 with significantly more capabilities, the argument is not all that different (the C6 would run circles around my 996). I would still prefer the 996 for a daily driver, but as a track car, I would opt for the Z06, without even a test drive.

I can agree with many posters that the Chevy is continuing to improve at a greater rate than Porsche, but Chevy has farther to go. I truly believe another few dollars spent in the right areas (interior parts and steering) would have made my decision very different. I think the Z06 would be the absolute best companion car to a 996 in the garage. Chevy deserves some praise for building a near perfect sportscar for the money. Unfortuantly, the dealers will probably try to rape everyone for the first two years on Z06s, but waiting will probably reduce the quality issues which Chevy cannot seem to avoid.

Oh, and my wife would kill me if I bought the vette over the 996 cab, but that's a different story.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

one thing about the C6 that topgear in the UK had an issue with was the leaf-spring suspension

any comments?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 PM
gonz911
Pro

Interesting thread on the Corvette to Porsche comparison. Seems to me like comparing NASCAR (vette) to LeMans -- the Vette will burn out. Porsche has proven itself for decades, Chevy, well, it's NASCAR. If it smells like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, (or something like that), well, it's a duck. For those of you who want one, go get one. Who cares? You can't compare this domestic stuff to Porsche refinement. By the way, damn thing is UGLY with the front end -- looks like a goofy Mitsubishi. Just another opinion thrown up on the wall.

Gerardo
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 PM
STLRFN
Track Day

I was allways luke warm on the way a vette looked but I was in detroit and the z06 was one of the best looking cars there. I have to say that based on the outside it was on par with my c4s. Interior wise it still reminded me of my old IROC. They also said it was slightly shorter than my car. I was surprised to hear that.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

How does an e55 compare to a Carrera S?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

I own both an '04 Z06 and an '04 40th Anniv 911 and I've driven them at the track extensively. Both are great performance cars but even a stock 04 Z06 will beat most any 911 except a Turbo S or GT2. The new Z06 is even better than mine both in terms of power, brakes and cooling so it will be a forminable track car. In SCCA T1 the Z06 is unbeatable.

There is nothing wrong with the leaf springs, the boys at TopGear are a bit out of touch with reality when they criticize the springs.

Having said all that I MUCH prefer the 911 because it feels funner even though it is a bit slower. The Z06 has tons of grip in corners but it is very numb to drive.

So, if outright performance is goal, the old and new Z06 are better, if fun from the feel and responsiveness of the chassis is a goal, then any Porsche is better.

But, an Elise is even funner than a Porsche... but not very practical around town.

It is all about trade offs; you have to pick the trade offs the work best for you.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:54 PM
gonz911
Pro

Gents, but are you all sold on the styling? Yeah it has brute power, it may even handle, but man in my opinion they could've done something better. To me it's like the rest of the US domestic stuff, they're either copying the Germans, the Japanese, or something weird with the creative stuff. What ever happened to the US reign on style? Look at the opportunity they had with the GTO! They messed up a great chance. It's looks totally NASCAR. If you're into that then okay, but not for my money.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonz911
Gents, but are you all sold on the styling? Yeah it has brute power, it may even handle, but man in my opinion they could've done something better. To me it's like the rest of the US domestic stuff, they're either copying the Germans, the Japanese, or something weird with the creative stuff. What ever happened to the US reign on style? Look at the opportunity they had with the GTO! They messed up a great chance. It's looks totally NASCAR. If you're into that then okay, but not for my money.
I like the styling. I disagree that it's a copycat design. I think it looks unmistakably Corvette, albeit with the design moving to exposed headlamp units. I also give Chevy kudos for making the car smaller, and despite a much bigger engine than a 996/997, it's not heavier, a major accomplishment.

I think Porsche could have done much better in utilizing modern materials to make the "mostly new" (a very inflated claim, I think) 997 lighter than its predecessor. And if the Z06 engine proves to be reliable (yet to be seen), it will have the 997 beat on that count too, as we're already hearing reports of RMS failure in 997's.

Despite all that, what hooks me on Porsche is that great steering, with the wonderful feedback and feeling of immediacy to the driver's inputs. I doubt very much that the Corvette will match that, though I'll probably give one a try someday.

Andy
'02 Targa
Old 01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 99 C4
Personally I prefer the P-Car over the Vette, handling and everything. But I have to say that with straight line acceleration, the vett can beat the pants off any n/a 996.
Originally Posted by pstoppani
I own both an '04 Z06 and an '04 40th Anniv 911 and I've driven them at the track extensively. Both are great performance cars but even a stock 04 Z06 will beat most any 911 except a Turbo S or GT2.
I don't know guys, like I posted in a couple of other threads, the recent Road and Track compared a new Corvette to a new 997S and the 997S was faster. Click here:

http://roadandtrack.com/article.asp?...&page_number=1

Car and Driver compared the new Corvette to a new 997 'plain jane' and the corvette was only 0.2 sec faster in the quarter mile. Click here:

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?...&page_number=5

So, I think that the GT3 and the TT are much faster than a Corvette.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Car and Driver has a comparison of the Corvette ZR51 and 997.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn't matter how nice the c6 is... it's still a corvette... and i'm sorry, but I can't help but stereotype corvette owners as not as civilized or sophisticated individuals as european car owners...

a corvette is a redneck's dream.. and it always will be... sure it's faster, but personally to me.. i'd feel like a middle class redneck plumbing company owner or some variation of the likes driving any variation of one.. while on the other hand, driving a porsche, and the other european variations of cars i have, i feel like a much more civilized and sophisticated individual, realizing that brute speed isn't everything... in america, it's all about bigger is better, faster is better, etc.. and the corvette idolizes the perfect american car.. no doubt... but me? i live in the country for now... but i don't subscribe to the mainstream american idology, ignorance and culture.... which i've found most corvette owners seem to fit into... as many of you say.. having a porsche isn't just about having the car or the speed.. it's the experience....

pulling up to a nice hotel or dining establishment in a corvette vs a porsche, who do you think will be treated as a more sophisticated, well traveled, and cultured individual?...speed isn't everything.. especially nowadays.. where the hell are you going to use 500hp? i suppose in montana? :>

ok.. off the soap box.. just my opinion :>
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob: I would rather drive a Vette than a Porsche bought from a Ford dealership.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the power to you then..
Old 01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishman
I don't know guys, like I posted in a couple of other threads, the recent Road and Track compared a new Corvette to a new 997S and the 997S was faster.

So, I think that the GT3 and the TT are much faster than a Corvette.
I believe we're discussing Z06, not the standard Corvette.

Quick Reply: Z06 vs P-car?