Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Rearview Mirror Display?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

I agree, having the rear view mirror display would be pointless if you had to mount the Valentine One unit right around that spot anyway. I was thinking that the rear view mirror display be used in conjunction with a Valentine One remote install package.

Here's what I had in mind for the remote install (from http://www.1-radar-laser-jammers-detectors.com):
V1 Remote Package 1
Valentine 1 Remote for sports cars with fiberglass hoods, for trucks and SUVs.
Complete hidden installation under the bumper, requires an area of 5.25" wide x 2.75" tall x 5.5" long to install behind plastic/rubber bumper or just under the bumper for optimal performance.

Kit includes programmable Valentine One™ Radar Detector Locator, remote audio control, remote X, K, Ku, Ka, POP 3 K/Ka and L alert display, speaker, power on/off, volume control, radar front/rear direction, strength meter, watertight aluminum remote housing, shock protection, V1 Remote Installation kit, shipping additional.
Since I don't have a third radiator I figured there should be plenty of space for the remote behind the center intake of my bumper. Right now there is a plastic cover in place (instead of a metal mesh grill) so that spot should work.

Again, I live in Virginia so a completely stealthy solution is the only way to go. Otherwise, I will just continue to mount my radar detector on the windshield (no remote displays) during roadtrips and take them down when I get back into town.

Cheers,
Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They charged me $3,000 for the V1 mirror display and the front K40 diffuser.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:39 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
They charged me $3,000 for the V1 mirror display and the front K40 diffuser.
Alright, I have to ask... what else did you get for $3,000? That seems very expensive considering AI Design's website lists the rear view mirror display for $795 and the K40 diffuser for $299.95. The Valentine One unit is $400. Parts add up to $1,500. Did you get the remote install kit too?

What do you think of the AI Design rear view mirror display? How is the daytime readability? Can you post pictures of the installation on your car?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 PM
chitownbob
Racer

I don't see the point. You still have to mount the actual unit somewhere. The concealed display is the least of the worries. if you can put the actual unit in the mirror, that would be sweet.

Bobby
Old 01-28-2005, 10:08 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by chitownbob
I don't see the point. You still have to mount the actual unit somewhere. The concealed display is the least of the worries. if you can put the actual unit in the mirror, that would be sweet.

Bobby
Bobby, you're absolutely right. That is why I wouldn't get the rear view mirror display unless I get the remote mounting kit to go along with it. See my previous post.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Originally Posted by programmatore
Alright, I have to ask... what else did you get for $3,000? That seems very expensive considering AI Design's website lists the rear view mirror display for $795 and the K40 diffuser for $299.95. The Valentine One unit is $400. Parts add up to $1,500. Did you get the remote install kit too?

What do you think of the AI Design rear view mirror display? How is the daytime readability? Can you post pictures of the installation on your car?

Thanks,
They installed it for $2,995, with both the front and rear diffusers they said $3,995.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2005, 12:23 AM
programmatore
Drifting

They installed it for $2,995, with both the front and rear diffusers they said $3,995.
Thanks MoneyBiz. What do you think of the Ai Design rear view mirror display? Is it easy to read? Would you recommend it?

One last question... where did you mount the Valentine One unit? Is it inside the car somewhere or did you get the remote mounting unit for the front bumper?

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Thanks MoneyBiz. What do you think of the Ai Design rear view mirror display? Is it easy to read? Would you recommend it?

One last question... where did you mount the Valentine One unit? Is it inside the car somewhere or did you get the remote mounting unit for the front bumper?

Thanks,
I didn't mount it , it is hidden I think in the mirror housing unit. I like it but I get a lot of false alerts, there is an upgrade now to stop all the false alerts but I don't want to go back there so, I don't know how I am going to get it.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 AM
programmatore
Drifting

I didn't mount it , it is hidden I think in the mirror housing unit. I like it but I get a lot of false alerts, there is an upgrade now to stop all the false alerts but I don't want to go back there so, I don't know how I am going to get it.
Hmmm, are we looking at the same thing here? Did you get your kit from Ai Design or some other company? Is your rear view mirror display for the Valentine One or some other detector? I ask because I didn't know you can fit a Valentine One unit (which is not that small) into the rear view mirror housing.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:58 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Hmmm, are we looking at the same thing here? Did you get your kit from Ai Design or some other company? Is your rear view mirror display for the Valentine One or some other detector? I ask because I didn't know you can fit a Valentine One unit (which is not that small) into the rear view mirror housing.
It is a V1 and I had it installed at their shop in Tuckahoe. You can ask however you decide to buy it from where to hide it or where they are going to hide it. I heard that Lidatek is better than K40 for a laser diffuser. Maybe you should get that.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Program: I cannot find the email, but I inquired a while back about the hidden display at AI design. There are different levels. There is the one on the web site that is JUST the remote display. However, you can take your car to AI and they will install the V1, k40, etc,,, for several $k. However, the diffence is that take apart the V1 and hide the sensors in your car. Then there are different levels, so just V1 is, I think, $2,000. With K40, its another $1,000. I think there is also another level. Then if you want the sensors in the back, its another $1000. In the end, the whole thing is essentially integrated into the car.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Originally Posted by yetis
Program: I cannot find the email, but I inquired a while back about the hidden display at AI design. There are different levels. There is the one on the web site that is JUST the remote display. However, you can take your car to AI and they will install the V1, k40, etc,,, for several $k. However, the diffence is that take apart the V1 and hide the sensors in your car. Then there are different levels, so just V1 is, I think, $2,000. With K40, its another $1,000. I think there is also another level. Then if you want the sensors in the back, its another $1000. In the end, the whole thing is essentially integrated into the car.
Chris and MoneyBiz,

I get it now. Ai disassembles the Valentine One unit and integrates the sensors in the car. I guess the other solution I found is a lot less sophisticated -- essentially put the Valentine One unit in a water/shock proof box behind the bumper and run some wires. I am not sure if the sophisticated solution is worth the $1,000 or more premium. But it is good to get all the info on the different options available. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Rearview Mirror Display?