Ferrari vs. Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Tipo815
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Jeffrey, you need this!
Ha ha ... Sorry. Nothing against Fountains but I happen to be a Cigarette fan! Nice boat though! Excellent power package. I have XRs and 650's. Around 100mph tops.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Do we think that Ferrari designs cars that intentionally are unreliable? Or are there just a lot of compromises that result in frequent maintenance and repairs? If joy-of-driving outweighed lack of reliability, Lotus would rival Toyota today. As it now stands, a car needs to have both, and that's why the 360 brought Ferrari to its current level of success, and hopefully the Toyota-engined Elise will do the same for Lotus. The older Ferraris are about looks and sound over actual driving experience, and that relegates them to toy status. But hey, I love toys too. I've come close to buying Ferraris several times. But the knowledge that I will need to memorize the tow company number has held me back The 430 could change that for me. AS
Old 01-25-2005, 01:10 AM
infestation
Instructor

A yellow F355 hardtop passed me today on the highway as I was driving home--needless to say, it was a beautiful sight.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:09 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Do we think that Ferrari designs cars that intentionally are unreliable? Or are there just a lot of compromises that result in frequent maintenance and repairs?
Actually, the cars are designed without compromises: they aren't made to be easier to fix, cheap to assemble, or to cut costs in any way, and that makes them expensive to make and expensive to own. I've seen Rolls-Royces made with the same philosophy: that the car will be owned and maintained by someone that won't count the costs, and that has a stable of cars to use while it's being serviced. And that leads to designs that require dropping the engine for a tune-up, or putting the car on a lift and removing the tires to change the spark plugs. I'm not saying it's wrong - it just is what it is.

Emanuel

Quick Reply: Ferrari vs. Porsche