996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Newbie owner extremely disappointed..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Trista
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie owner extremely disappointed..

Hello. I'm Trista and I'm new to this forum. This is my sad story about my bumper ruined by Invica_shield.

(I've been lurking in this forum for a while and I finally decided to register because I have to warn my fellow Porsche owners about this product.)

I've been interested in getting a clear bra installation for a while, so I did some research on this forum. Finally, I saw a few guys from Florida recommend Invica-shield so I found an installer in my area that uses it. After getting the installation done, I couldn't be more DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!! A friend of mine had their clear bra done by another installer, and it looked really nice. So that was the reason why I wanted one on my newly painted 01 996. (This other installer did not use Invica-shield) As you can see in the pics that I took after the guys left, they used 5 pieces of film on my bumper alone. It created really bad looking lines that just totally ruins the look of my baby. (If you think it looks bad in the pics, it's even worst in person.) I told the guys that that wasn't what the bra on my friend's 911 looked like, and his response was "that's the kit by invica-shield, and there is nothing we could do about it." Then I told them to take it off, and they said that I would have to pay for it. Well, to make a long story short, DON'T GO WITH INVICASHIELD!!!! I think that it is partially my fault for not researching this company's material before I had it installed. So that's why I'm not going to name names. But I recommend to all that are thinking about getting a clear bra, stay away from those using this brand of kit. Find someone who uses one piece of film for the bumper.

Now I'm gonna have to find someone else to redo the bra and take off the existing one. I'm not about to pay the original guys more to take off unsatisfactory work.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 AM
Chris79SC
Intermediate

Haven't seen any kit from any manufacturer that didn't come as 1 pre-cut piece for the bumper (std or turbo). Sounds more to me that your installer was lame. The basic material used is standard for the most part. The film was developed by 3M. The company (I used to work for them about 10 yrs ago) maintains a list of installers of the re-branded product throughout the US. Just remember the re-branded name isn't important....they're all 3M film product.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_...8912/_l/en_US/

Get a reputable installer and just put this bad incident behind you.

Hey, I just realized your in Sactown...I've heard very good things about Premier in the Bay area. There's a post on this board about protection film & maintainence written by Premier. Read it & give them a call.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the X-pel kit on my 996 and it is a great product. I have had 3 cars done by CS Specialties out of San Jose and Stockton. They will come to your house and do the installation. They have done quite a few Rennlist members and come with very good recommendations.

Contact information:
C S Specialties
Mobile Service
San Jose, CA 95148
408-476-3332
mlgamurot@yahoo.com
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I did Invincashield on a new 01 Boxster and it was one-piece on the bumper. I would assume the kit on a 996 would be similar.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Use CS Specialties out of San Jose and Stockton. Mariano and Ken rock! The did my car a couple of moths ago...couldn't be happier.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine was 1-piece b/c I asked my installer if it was possible to do 1 piece and not the kit. He charged me extra (nominal fee) to custom cut a single piece for the entire front bumper on my 996. Turned out fantastic so there is no lines at all. Just make sure you get a VERY GOOD installer since the one piece install is extrememly difficult compared to the multiple piece kits.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:16 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Hi, do you have an aero car? I was going to get this stuff put on my gt3 aero but the installer arrived with the standard 911 kit. He was going to have to custom make pieces for my car. I told him, no thanks. I was curious how this would turn out. Does anyone have this mounted on an aero car with success?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Dallas, yes mine is the aero front. As I said in my previous post.....it turned out fantastic with no seams since he custom cut as a single piece. Just make sure you have the best installer you can get.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:41 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dallas,

I had the 3M kit installed on my '01 Aero. They had to have one custom cut for the aerokit, and I couldn't be happier with the install. The key to this, as many others have said, is finding a good installer. Not sure why you'd shy away from custom pieces???
Old 01-10-2005, 07:41 PM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Trista, did you contact the maker of the product and inquire as to whether the correct kit was installed on your car?

Edit: Is it "Invica-Shield" or "Invinca-Shield"? Here's a link to the Invinca-Shield's kit, and it sure looks like they have a horizontal seam at mid-bumper height: http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3621
Old 01-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Trista
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SRL
Trista, did you contact the maker of the product and inquire as to whether the correct kit was installed on your car?

Edit: Is it "Invica-Shield" or "Invinca-Shield"? Here's a link to the Invinca-Shield's kit, and it sure looks like they have a horizontal seam at mid-bumper height: http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=3621
Yeah...I think I spelled it wrong....I think that's the exact kit that these guys used. Thanks for finding this site for me SRL.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Trista
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris79SC
Haven't seen any kit from any manufacturer that didn't come as 1 pre-cut piece for the bumper (std or turbo). Sounds more to me that your installer was lame. The basic material used is standard for the most part. The film was developed by 3M. The company (I used to work for them about 10 yrs ago) maintains a list of installers of the re-branded product throughout the US. Just remember the re-branded name isn't important....they're all 3M film product.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/_...8912/_l/en_US/

Get a reputable installer and just put this bad incident behind you.

Hey, I just realized your in Sactown...I've heard very good things about Premier in the Bay area. There's a post on this board about protection film & maintainence written by Premier. Read it & give them a call.
I contacted Premier and they said they would help me remove the existing kit and put on a one piece. I saw some of their work on exotics and it looked really nice. I'm feeling a little more confident now. Thanks for rhe recommendation.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Trista
Intermediate

Thanks to SLR, I found the site to the kit that they used. Here is the diagram of it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2005, 10:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It looks like they used the wrong kit. That kit is for a Turbo 996 or a 996 with a turbo nose AND aero. Your car looks like it has the GT3 Aero. That might be the problem.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

there is something fishey in this girl's bra..

re read it and tell me it's not bogus
a newbie post that manages not only perfect detailed photos but also highlights all the right buzzwords .
too slick to be for real.

Quick Reply: Newbie owner extremely disappointed..