Sponsored by:

Wierd but Big problem with hesitation, Help! :crying:

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wierd but Big problem with hesitation, Help! :crying:

I noticed my car has not been pulling hardly at all the past couple of days. I think it has to do with the variocam not working possibly. I would floor the car and it would pull linearly, read- there would be no increase in pull when it normally would in the variocam RPM range. It feels like a turd and a half.
Upon driving home today however, it gets worse! Instead of just the very poor pull problem it completely dies at a specific rpm with load.
I was trying to get a good idea so I tried to duplicate the problem
It first reared it's head being the same crappy pull but now at 5500, it completely dies! It feels like I am pulling my foot off the throttle 100%!!!!!!!!
I try it again going up a hill and it happens at an even lower rpm 4500ish
WTF!!!
My car has been pretty slow feeling lately and then it seems like the variocam is not engaging, NOw it balks upon that rpm demand now

Any ideas what the cuase is or suggestions?
The only thing I can think of is the cam actuators/ hall sensors?
I had a leaking cam sensor cover and Pioneer down here which is probably the worst dealer for service ever replaced the seals etc. at a nice fat expense
Could it be MAF?? I have replaced it before, but cleaned the one I ahve with contact cleaner, however that was months ago so I doubt it would be that.
Help!!! I don't want to even drive it as it's so concerning
The worst part is that no CEL comes up, and after reading that one post about the defective hall sensors it would appear that this might be the problem - it was also a 99 read no e-gas etc.
Please help me out if anyone has any ideas, so I can get an idea of what the problem is. I would rather fix it myself if possible as I am a student
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't sound like either of the cams to me. If it's dying at hard throttle, could be too rich. Could be bad gas too. How is the idle? Hook up your scanner and look at the fuel trim, o2 sensors and MAF readings. Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. You'll need your radio code. Clean the throttle body and intake an throw a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank.

If the cams were stuck in one position, it still would not make the car die. You can drive arouund all day with the actuators disconnecte.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:47 PM
SPR
Drifting

right well that was basically what I thought it was doing when it was linear, I don't know what the deal is now with it hitting the wall. I am going to unplug the battery to reset the ecu and see how that goes-
Old 01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I so wish there was a comprehesive VAG/OBD2 tool for the Porsche. It is easily my biggest frustration with Porsche. Good luck
Old 01-22-2005, 08:19 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I so wish there was a comprehesive VAG/OBD2 tool for the Porsche. It is easily my biggest frustration with Porsche. Good luck

There ARE several of them out there. Gives you mostly what you need to get started diagnosing. The one I use is not available anymore but there are many posters here that have others. Around $150.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

I don't know what the deal is now with it hitting the wall.

Hitting a wall is what makes me think of a rich condition. You may be drowning the engine. I don't know where the CEL is though.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:21 PM
rrys
Advanced

Sounds like you are losing power only under load. Maybe running out of fuel or water in the fuel. Bad MAF or loose connector for MAF could do that. Maybe other sensors could be bad/intermittent. At higher cylinder pressures it is harder to make the spark jump the gap, marginal ignition tends to die under load. Any indications that you are running rich as suggessted by 1999Porsche911? Maybe low rumble or black smoke? No blockage in air cleaner or exhaust? My brothers motorcycle had a similiar symptom and we were puzzled. Pulled out the baffle and promptly wheelied it over - damn another tailight gone, but we found it. Sure sounds like fuel or ignition on the whole engine and not just one bank or cylinder. I'm sure with a little testing you can find it. Fuel pressure? O2 sensor voltage?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM
SPR
Drifting

I did in fact note that it would do the same "wall" at lower rpm when going uphill so I think you're on to something. I will also take out the maf and clean it and check the connection-
Old 01-23-2005, 03:24 AM
SPR
Drifting

Alright, After some time and *ehem* locking myself out of the trunk and having to remove the fuse box to pull the release.. I open the back after rehooking up the battery to clear the ecu. I open the back and lo and behold, you will not beleive this. A week ago I did the bi anual detail 7 hours of fun When I wash my car I put a mf bonet over the intake. Evidenlty in my tired state I never removed it after I was done!!! I can't beleive it! Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to drive it hard to reset the ecu etc.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:05 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Thank God...you had us scared....
Old 01-23-2005, 01:24 PM
SPR
Drifting

Yeah needless to say I thought I felt stupid enough when I locked the bonnet with the battery unplugged necessitating the removal of the fuse box cover, only to be bested by leaving the mf bonnet on the intake from my detail session.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:32 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK sorry But thats funny in a way!!, i am just glad it worked out for ya
Old 01-23-2005, 11:05 PM
SPR
Drifting

I am the first one to agree on that one-
Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
rrys
Advanced

Just be careful you don't wheelie it over with all that power now.

Quick Reply: Wierd but Big problem with hesitation, Help! :crying: