996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Excessive clutch travel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005 | 09:22 PM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

Default Excessive clutch travel?

Hi to all, going on 3 weeks of 996 ownership now ('04 model). I am settling in and not sure I'll ever be able to drive anything else. Question - my clutch seems to have a relatively long travel such that my entire foot comes off the floor and I cannot pivot my foot while my heel stays on the floor. This can be a little tricky, particularly when the engine is cold as it tends to lead to a jerkier motion. The whole travel seems to be necessary to engage / disengage the clutch.

Is this normal? Should I ask dealer to adjust?
Old 05-26-2006 | 04:03 AM
delirium
Racer

I also notice that the clutch catches the gear pretty high, is there any way to adjust it so that it is lower? (less travel?)
Old 05-26-2006 | 09:55 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Introduce air into the clutch hydraulic system to lower the engagement point to where you want.
Old 05-26-2006 | 09:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Introduce air into the clutch hydraulic system to lower the engagement point to where you want.
don't be mean . . .
Old 05-26-2006 | 11:08 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC
don't be mean . . .

I am serious. This has been done for hydraulic clutches since they were first indroduced. On vehicles that do not have an adjustable pedal piston, this is the only way to adjust the engagement poiint and is perminant and proper. My pedal engages about 2 inches from the floor. With a cable controled clutch, you lengthen the cable. With hydraulic, air is the way you lengthen the cable. This does not change the pedal travel, but only the point at which the clutch engages.
Old 05-26-2006 | 11:16 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Wouldn't the introduction of air create a potential failure point?
Old 05-26-2006 | 11:31 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Wouldn't the introduction of air create a potential failure point?
Not at all. The system works because the hydraulic fluid compresses a specific amount (this determines the length of the clutch cable) Indroducing air, or another gas or liquid that has greater compression properties, is the same as lengthening the cable. In a closed system, once the mod is complete, the amount of compression in the line remains constant.

IMO, there is nothing worse than driving a car where you have to bring your knee up to your face just to get the clutch to engage. Press the clutch pedal down a few inches, open the slave, bring the pedal back to the top and close the slave. Repeat until the pedal is engaging exactly where you want it to.
Old 05-26-2006 | 12:14 PM
delirium
Racer

really? i am worried about trying this, is the '04 996 a hydrolic system? will the clutch feel any different??
Old 05-26-2006 | 12:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by delirium
really? i am worried about trying this, is the '04 996 a hydrolic system? will the clutch feel any different??

Your system is the same. The difference in the feel of the clutch will only be where the clutch begins to engage. Instead of engaging near the top of the pedal travel, it will allow for engagement at some point lower, depending on how much you want. 80% of the clutch pedal travel is wasted and does nothing to engage or disengage the clutch disc. Lowering the point of engagement will not, in anyway, reduce the release of the clutch disc, but will allow for the a much moire comfortable engagement point during your driving. IMO, the clutch should have 2 inches (minimum) of pedal play from the top before the disengagment process begins.
Old 05-26-2006 | 01:57 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

If it is too high it could be a worn clutch, I have never heard of the air trick, but hey one never knows. Tell tale sign of a going on gone clutch in our cars is how high it grabs and releases.
Old 05-26-2006 | 02:04 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by kilrgt
If it is too hight it could be a worn clutch, I have never heard of the air trick, but hey one never knows. Tell tale sign of a going on gone clutch in our cars is how high it grabs and releases.

All modern day clutchs that have no pedal adjustment engage at the highest point of the pedal travel. There are few exceptions, of coarse. Clutch disc wear, no mater how much, is almost immesurable as to how it effects the pedal. Put you physics hat on and calculate how much a reduction of 1/8 - 1/4 inch in disc thickness effects the pedal even without hydraulic fluid taken into account. Remember that all disc wear is replaced with hydraulic fluid to the system, taking up all slack. Just like your brake system.

People who do not understand the hydraulic setup have incorrectly accepted that clutch disc wear affects the pedal hieght as being fact.
Old 05-26-2006 | 02:12 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Yea your words sound good, but I am talking in my real world experience. I know when the car needs a clutch by the way it feels, I am not disputing your words, I just know what works for me.I can tell you this when I first bought the car it was grabbing 2 " from the bottom, just before i replaced the clutch it was grabbing around 1" from the top. New clutch and its back to the way it was new. As i said i know by my own past,
Old 05-26-2006 | 02:48 PM
discoganya
Banned

Question - my clutch seems to have a relatively long travel such that my entire foot comes off the floor and I cannot pivot my foot while my heel stays on the floor.
Can anyone really depress the entire clutch while still pivoting your foot on its heel? My clutch travel is way longer than that -- and I have a relatively large foot, size 13.
Old 05-26-2006 | 05:50 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

I don't think you'll ever be able to adjust the clutch enough to keep your heel on the floor. In fact, doing the air trick means you have to push it just as far, it just means there is less dead space at the end of the travel.

What's the point of the dead space anyways? I was driving a Mustang GT (new model one) and it had very little dead space, so clearly it's not necessary. Actually, that clutch on that GT was even better than the one in the 996. Shorter through shifter too, without being any harder than the stock 996 shifter. (No, I am in no way saying it's a better car, I'm just saying, I wish the 996 had the clutch setup of the GT).
Old 05-26-2006 | 06:13 PM
delirium
Racer

Ya, I want less dead space, I think it will help me shift faster.

Quick Reply: Excessive clutch travel?