996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Excessive clutch travel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

They sell little things (I've seen them in the back of Roundel, BMW's club magazine) that bolt into your floor and you adjust them to only let your clutch go as far as it needs to (like an artificial stopper).
Old 05-26-2006, 06:23 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
They sell little things (I've seen them in the back of Roundel, BMW's club magazine) that bolt into your floor and you adjust them to only let your clutch go as far as it needs to (like an artificial stopper).
interesting, so instead of lowering the engagement point, you raise the floor.. but would this mean that your seat would need to move back? which would make the gas/brake pedals too far away?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:19 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would you do that? The pedal doesn't come up higher, it just doesn't go as far down.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on cars w/ clutches, I usually measure my seat position based on my left leg pressing in the clutch pedal & my leg fully extended.. so all this means is that my leg will not be fully extended w/ this stopper.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problem...clutch engages about 2-3 inches from the top of the travel. The engagement point seems to be getting progressivel higher little by little. I made some preliminary inquiries and was told that by two Porsche indys that there is no clutch adjustment...and no one has heard of the introduction of air to reset the clutch engagement point. Can you folks tell me how much you consider is reasonable for a clutch for a '99 996 C2? I would imagine the price would be contingent upon whether or not it needed a flywheel and pressure plate? The car only has 23K on it. Seems awfully early for a clutch...I'm the second owner....bought it at 19K.

Quick Reply: Excessive clutch travel?