996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket warranty question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket warranty question...

Hi all, I've recently purchased a '99 996. The question I have is about the warranty. Since it's a 99 the dealer could not offer Porsche extended coverage. I've looked around and am leaning towards signing up with 1Source. Has anyone had any experience with the company? Be it positive or negative? Does anyone currently have coverage through them?

Thanks in advace
Eli
Old 01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
msrc2
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Do a search on all open forums for 1Source. The aftermarket warranty issue has been discussed quite a bit. I don't have any direct experience with 1Source, but I'm sure someone on these forums does.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have warrentybynet and they cover seals (like the RMS seal) something to look into.
I did not purchase the warrenty the PO did but so far they are cool
Old 01-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Poe
AutoX

Siberian,
I'm in the same boat, I am picking up my '01 Lapis Blue C2 with 7K miles tomorrow and the warranty runs out in 2 months. If I had purchased the car new the best option would have been to buy Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) from GEICO or other insurance companies, however, as it's used this is not an option. The key for me with after market warranties is to ensure, apart from covering gaskets and seals, is that the company will still be around for several years without going chapter 11.

Warrantybynet and 1Source seem good from what is covered and the price. Allstate Ins. offer a good policy but it was very expensive - around $4K for 2 years 60K miles! I'm now looking at AAA as a possible choice due to what is covered, company longevity, and price - around $2K for 5 years 60K miles. I would also be very appreciative to hear any feedback of other folks experience with after market warrantees, good or bad.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:06 PM
gpallem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I purchased the 1Source. Fortunately, I have not had a claim with them yet

My reasons for going with them: -Reasonably priced
-Checked out favorably with two other people on this list and their experience with them
-Covers RMS I was told
-Sounded knowledgable whenever I spoke with the rep

Of course, none of this is a guarantee, but I like the peace of mind I am enjoying to date.

Best,
Geert
Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Hoopy
Track Day

I'm also just about to purchase an extended warranty. I have a 2001 Coupe with 16,000 miles. I did the obvious thing and called the Porsche dealer as a starting point. Because I've got low mileage I can qualify for a 5 year up to 75K policy through CNA. Cost: $3,700. I read through the sales brochure and it certainly isn't as seemless as the factory warranty, but does cover the major components.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

I did a search here before posting. Only 2-3 people commented on 1source. All positive. Perhaps I'll give them a go...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:47 AM
KY_soldier
Racer

Hoopy, what is CNA? My dealer said that since mine went out of warranty a few months ago, I could not get one via them. My 99 only has 11k miles now.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gpallem
Guys,

I purchased the 1Source. Fortunately, I have not had a claim with them yet

My reasons for going with them: -Reasonably priced
-Checked out favorably with two other people on this list and their experience with them
-Covers RMS I was told
-Sounded knowledgable whenever I spoke with the rep

Of course, none of this is a guarantee, but I like the peace of mind I am enjoying to date.

Best,
Geert
Geert, what did you pay for this? I am interested as well.

Chad
Old 01-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Hoopy
Track Day

KY,

Oddly CNA is also the company which I have my life insurance with, but didn't know that when I inquired. I purchased the policy today at Beverly Hills Porsche. My 2001 C2 goes out of warranty end of February. It may be worth checking to see if they will sell the extended warranty for a `99.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Bradskii
Addict
Rennlist Member

It might be worth looking at American Auto Warranty. I purchased a policy from them 18 months ago, and they have paid on 2 separtate occasions. The first was just the mass air flow sensor, but the second was a blown head gasket and the dreaded RMS.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:35 AM
OH997
Pro

I had my 99 certifed by Porsche last year so if you are being told they can't certify the 99 that is a recent development. The 01 should be extendable. This assumes you are purchasing from a Porsche dealer. Given the choice I would always opt for a Porsche warranty over third-party.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

What if you have no warranty and are the 2nd owner? 47k miles. Can you get an extended warranty from anyone?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Can anyone recommend an after market warranty provider? I have had zero problems with my 00 996, but everytime I log onto the 996 forum and read all the RMS/need new engine horrow stories, I get worried. I really haven't seen anyone recommend a company who has had an RMS leak fixed or a replacement engine. I have veven PM'd some poster who have had multiple issues, but have not had anyone recommend the company they use. I've read the fine print on quite a few websites, and most all of them exclude seals specifically. They are lumped in with normal wear items. The only plans I've found that appear safe for the RMS issue, are those that cover everything but brakes, tires, etc. Those are in the 4k range to get to 75k miles. I'm at 47 now so I wouldn't be protected very long for 4k, unless I let it sit in the garage, and i'm not going to do that.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I need a warranty too....I will check into 1source.

Robert

Quick Reply: Aftermarket warranty question...