Sponsored by:

100 MPH plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:48 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
Yep, typ. minivan driver...does not suprise me at all. I stay away from miniac- vans.
You know...not all mini-van drivers are idiots...

I was not happy about getting a mini-van but with three kids in seats it was the only thing that made sense. Now I am a convert (as long as it is not your only vehicle). Aside from the status thing 95% of the people driving SUVs would be better off with a mini-van becasue:
  • It holds more - I have taken 4 kids and 3 adults from New York to Vermont on a ski trip with all their gear (including skis) in comfort.
  • The sliding doors mean that the kids can't ding other cars as they get out
  • You can take the seats out and use them to haul - I have carried a van load of lumber, furniture etc.
  • You can move around inside while the vehicle is moving (to, say, get to a kid that is about to throw up!
  • People are surprised when you pull away from them on jug-hanldes etc. And if they catch you up - well, hey, big whoop - you're in a mini-van, where's the cred in beathing that

But...as a rule of thumb...treat ALL other drivers as idiots - the worst case is that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Barry
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

H1, I disagree with you there. I can do all of the above and then some with my(wifes) Expedition. Plus, it's a hell of a lot safer. She was rear ended by a minivan, not a scratch on her or the Expedition, the Dodge Caravan looked like a spent beer can.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:58 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Thats good stuff Don, I would have never thought that you would do something like that.
Live your life. I would have just done exactly what you did but I wouldn't suggest it on anyone who couldn't handle the consequences/speed. Anything can happen at anytime, whether you decide to drive fast or slow. Fate is twisted in a lot of ways.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:33 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Surgeon,

Front impacts are usually worse than rear because of crumple zones.

In a car-car collision trucks often come out better. In collisions with other objects they often come out worse because they are not required to have the crumple zones etc. (this is also partly why the car-car collition they come out better.) That is also why Ford loves them and pushes them so much - they are very cheap to make and sell at a premium.

And...can you say 'rollover'?

I think my biggest beef with trucks is not so much trucks themselves but that the people driving them think they are invincible. This is particularly irksome when they think that the laws of physics in rain/snow have been suspended because they have AWD. Watching someone in a vehicle weighing twice what your car does driving like an idiot in the rain/snow is not something I want to see - particularly when you consider the whole car-car impact thing.

But...as usual...each to his own. Oppinions are just that - everyone has one and is entitled...

Barry
Old 01-03-2005, 01:20 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
She was rear ended by a minivan, not a scratch on her or the Expedition, the Dodge Caravan looked like a spent beer can.

Things you can expect from Miniac-Vans...

- To be rear-ended by one becuase they drive waaaaay to fast, usually with kids in them.
- Unless they rear end your PCar they will look like "spent beer cans" totally unsafe especially with some walking to the rear of it to clean-up puking baby's while someone is behind the wheel driving way to fast and getting ready to rear end a brute sized Expedition.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:30 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Of course the best way to walk to the back to get the puking kid is just to put the car on cruise control on a straight bit of road...or did you ASSume that it wasn't the driver doing the walking around
Old 01-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Pzkw993
Instructor

I felt like I should stick my nose in here to offer a "worse judgement" story.

The year was 1997. I was on the way from Tennessee to Ohio after a BMX race in which I had broken three ribs (didn't know how badly until I saw the X-ray later, all I knew was that it hurt like hell to move.) I was driving a 1997 Land Rover Discovery five-speed.

I was doing about 75 on the freeway when a Turbo 3.6 pulled up behind me. I moved over and he went by. I've always been a 911 fan so I accelerated back up to five or six car lengths away... now we are doing ninety. He looks in the mirror and accelerates. I do the same. Now we are doing 100. Again. 110. The Rover, being shaped like the box the 911 was shipped in, is experiencing considerable wind noise at this point. The truck is rocking gently which makes my ribs hurt like holy hell. The driver looks back, waves... the tail of the Turbo squats and the car walks away, leaving me with the throttle pinned at an indicated 114mph. Once he disappeared from view I slowed down to 60 or so to let the heat out of the T-rated tires.

In any European country (except the UK), this would have been just like any other day. In the United States, it was probably grounds for imprisonment. But let's be serious. There is nothing morally wrong about extending your car a bit on an empty road. It is a peculiarity of the legal system here. I don't see the point in feeling guilty, unless you were slaloming around busloads of crippled children at the time.

I will admit that since becoming a track regular I have slowed down on the road, to the point where I occasionally find myself doing 63 in a 65 That being said, there is a reason nobody wants to accept GPS speed limiters and an unlimited amount of speed cameras - the recognition that the law is an ***, and when it comes to traffic matters, that is doubly true. Take the same road in Germany and the US, and note that one is unlimited speed and the other one isn't - then realize that the speed limit is the same at 3pm on an empty, perfect-weather road and at o-dark-thirty on a rush-clogged snow-filled road...

About the only thing I would say is, don't get caught.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 AM
dallasboats
Pro

hmmm, opinions are like ___holes, everybody has one.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:59 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a lowly 951 guy might jump in here, don't ask how I got here, I have a few thoughts.
1. Double nuts...SEMPER FI!
2. lol Seeing how many of the above "ambulance chasers" are driving P-cars, I am now going to begin calling them "Ambulance Catchers"! After all, they can defend themselves if they get busted!
3. The stretch of HW that the poster was on, is one that I know very well, being a Floridian. The Beeline, I didn't name it, is a VERY sparsely traveled toll road in GREAT condition. The limit there is 70 mph. The stretch of 95 he was on is driven by every idiot tourist, and Floridian alike, as if it WAS a race track. I literally was doing 90, on I-95, in the right lane, on a Saturday afternoon, and getting passed by everything but Truckers. Truckers routinely do 80 to 85 on that stretch. I guess that is a result of the FANTASTIC stopping performance of a 9 bizillion ton tractor trailer. Maybe not? Either way, the cops pass you here in Jacksonville at 80, while you're doing 75 in a 70 zone. So 100 to 110, though a bit faster than average flow, isn't much more. My last trip to Daytona from here, was done in 57 minutes from my front door, with the pace of traffic. Seriously, I was the one moving right, not the one passing. So, was the poster really negligent in a state where the traffic speeds, however illegal, are pretty close to his speed that night? I guess that depends on the jury selection, and competence of his(hypothetical ofcourse) "Ambulance Catcher" hint: hire one who owns a p-car! just be ready to pay him, or her.
4. The best radar detector is your eyeballs and mental focus.
5. Any speed, in any car, on New amatuer's night EVE, is a dangerous decision, when not in a medical emergency. PERIOD!
6. I'm 36. I've never had a ticket. (knock on wood!) I've never owned a detector. I've been in three acidents. All three hit me, and just barely, because I drive with the absolute confidence that YOU are ALL trying to kill ME! It's just good policy!
7. To the prosecutor above...my attorney drives a GIANT AMG600. We'll get a plea bargain, because I have no record, a bronze star, and a purple heart, in a VERY southern state. Oh... and I'll drag it out until your boss tells you to make an offer for loss of license. blah, blah,blah. Still sux, but I'm not going away. Maybe to Rio!, but not AWAY. joke
8. Opinions are not like A Holes. A holes with ignorant, unbending opinions are A Holes because of their opinions. But cut us some slack...please!
Safe driving to all. E
Old 01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
houldsworth1
Racer

Originally Posted by ehall
8. Opinions are not like A Holes. A holes with ignorant, unbending opinions are A Holes because of their opinions. But cut us some slack...please!
Safe driving to all. E
Amen to that... Show me the proof that my opinion is misguided and I'll show you a new opinion...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Webtool
Instructor

I sometimes find frustration that there is so much unexploited energy available and thats when the trouble starts.
It may be the wrong car for N. Americian driving. I'm looking for track time to purge the system.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of observations:

1. We all have opinions of other drivers. Most seem to be not-so-good.
2. Driving 100+ miles per hour in the middle of nowhere, late at night, in a reasonably safe place. I don't see the problem. We all have done it.
3. On the other hand, driving at that speed through traffic (i.e. the dodge and weave.) = STUPIDITY!!

And finally, let's not forget. There are other people out there. People who are mothers, fathers, sons and daughters. Be safe for yourself and them. Beacause they don't doesn't mean anything.

We all have an opinion on this. It's obvious we all like driving. Otherwise we wouldn't own what we have. I personally take driving on the highways very seriously. You just never know.

cheers,
Chad
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Most long trips I take the average speed is 87 to 93 mph.
I am usally driving my Range Rover and there usually is a sting of mini-vans and SUVs either following or in the lead.
100 mph isn't crazy and in my C4S is about the norm and I fell quite safe. Its not until over 110 that the feeling kicks in - that man hope there are no cops around. But I still feel safe all the way up to 140. Thats when i slow the fck down and its not really becuase I am feeling unsafe with the car, its more becuase my senses are telling me you gonna get caught.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ehall
Double nuts...SEMPER FI! E

SEMPER FIDELIS!

Old 01-06-2005, 12:46 AM
dallasboats
Pro

140 feels very good!

Who's the lawyer? damn lawyers................... I sold my previous C4 to a lawyer and he smashed it. He's a Porsche driver for life now. The car crumpled up, airbagged, and kept him safe.

Quick Reply: 100 MPH plus