Sponsored by:

Remote Locking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
jonah_15
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Locking Problem

Don’t know if anyone has any ideas about this but I’m tearing my hair out.

My 99 996 Cab has been left standing for 5 days without me driving or getting into the car. The car has switched off the remote central locking to save power.

To re-enable remote central locking my drivers manual states that I should use the drivers door lock to open the car and re-enable remote locking.

This is my problem my car doesn’t have any door locks!!!!!! I’m guessing at some point it’s had a door replaced without a door lock.

This leaves me no option as far as I can tell but to smash a window to get back into the car.

Unless anyone has any better ideas?

Thanks

PC
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Yeah...just rip through the top

Only kidding. Sounds wierd that they would do that. Have you called your Porsche dealer?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Chrisp3
Instructor

Bummer!
Are you sure that the door locking mechanism wasn't covered by one of those door plugs that "Bumper Plugs" www.bumperplugs.com offers for sale? It seems rather odd that you wouldn't have a locking mechanism unless the previous owner used bondo to fill the hole?
Old 12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
jonah_15
7th Gear

Chris,

I think your right he's installed a replacement cover over the lock. Just got to work out now the best way to remove the damn thing without scratching the paint.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:01 PM
rss53
Advanced

use yor key in the car and it will reprogram the key head
Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use a toothpick to pry it out from the side. It is not held in too tightly and should come out easily. It also looks pretty cool and should go right back on!

Bill
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 AM
jonah_15
7th Gear

Well my nightmare gets worse.

It looks like the car has had a break-in in the past as I've removed the exterior door hand cover and can see a mangled lock in place. I've tried my key in the lock but the door won't open

Looks like my only option is to break the drivers window to get back into the car and then take it to my Porsche dealer to get a new lock sorted.

Can anyone confirm that by me breaking the window and putting the key in the ignition that this will release the dead locks and allow the car to get out of sleep mode.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breaking the window is rather rash. If it was me I would at least try to get the hood open using the emergency pull wire (manual has directions....but it aint easy). Then disconnect the battery and reconnect it. I am not sure but maybe resetting the system by cycling the power may bring your remote back into action. Also what about the lock on the passenger door?
Also would be worth asking Loren or Jeff if they know any tricks over on renntech.org
Old 12-24-2004, 01:29 PM
rrys
Advanced

Nasty problem.

Here are a few approaches:
1) Elegant Method- Find some way to intercept the door wiring, and power the doors or sunroof open. Maybe some wiring would be accessible if you can open the trunk lid.
2) Typcial Method- Drill out the old tumbler and use pliers etc to turn the lock. This is harder than it seems, as the tumblers are hardened steel and will ruin drill bits in a hurry, but as you progress, you can use tweezers to remove the pieces.
3) Fast Method - Breaking the glass is so crude, but the rear window may be cheaper.

Good luck
Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jonah_15
...It looks like the car has had a break-in in the past as I've removed the exterior door hand cover and can see a mangled lock in place...
That explains why the previous owner covered it up instead of repairing it. Stupid, really stupid.

Have you called the dealer? Nasty, really nasty, as the car is probably in gear and/or w/ parking brakes on and you can't even flatbed it to the dealer.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

It would be much cheaper to call a locksmith. A good locksmith can get into the car, worse damage would be rubber seal around window. Probably wouldn't take him more than 30 minutes, cost you 100 bucks or so.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
It would be much cheaper to call a locksmith. A good locksmith can get into the car, worse damage would be rubber seal around window. Probably wouldn't take him more than 30 minutes, cost you 100 bucks or so.
Yeah dude,
Leave the breaking in to the professionals. Call a locksmith.
If that lock is already F'd up, They should be able to open it for you in no time.

Scouser, the U.S. cars don't have a lock on the passenger door. It makes for a "cleaner" look.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:25 PM
rrys
Advanced

Yes, I would agree, a locksmith is the best way to go. You will need to get a new lock set for the door matched to your key set. You will likely need to order this from Porsche and they will need some data from you to verify ownership etc. It would be nice to have these parts in hand when the locksmith shows up, as then maybe the whole repair can be made in one visit. I find it a bit tacky the seller covered the broken lock, maybe they could split the repair costs.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at my dealer today and spoke to the mechanics I know and asked them how they would get in without breaking the window, or if you disconnected/connected the battery would the control unit then see the remote again.

Disconnecting the battery and hooking it up will reset the control unit so that it looks for your remote.

Then one of the guys pulled out this long metal plastic-covered rod with a hook on the end. They stick it into the gap between the two side windows and grab onto the interior door handle, and open the door.

Gone in 60 seconds........
Old 12-28-2004, 08:15 AM
jonah_15
7th Gear

Thanks guys back in the car

Called the AA breakdown service here in the UK and explained to them all the advice I have been given here.

We found the emergency pull wire just behind the drivers side front wheel (UK car). Pulled the wire hood opened disconected the battery, reconnected the battery click click doors unlocked.

Right, off to my Porsche dealer to get a drivers side lock fitted.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

PC

Quick Reply: Remote Locking Problem