Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Holiday ROAD RAGE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004 | 02:15 PM
SRL
Racer

A couple of years ago I made a right turn at a red light in front of someone in my '87 911. She was coming, but I was able to accelerate fast enough that there was no danger of her rear-ending me, and she never had to brake (at least I never saw her front end dive).

So farther up the road she pulls out from behind, passes me with a dirty look, gets back in front, and SLAMS on her brakes. I saw it all coming, realized there were no parked cars, so the second she hit the brakes, I went right, and passed her on the shoulder as she was braking. Never even touched the brakes. I looked at her passenger as I went by and he had a somewhat surprised look on his face.

I accelerated up the road and never saw her again.

My wife didn't think it was the smartest thing I'd ever done. She was right. But it WAS better than slamming into the back of her car, and going left wasn't an option.
Old 12-21-2004 | 02:31 PM
programmatore
Drifting

You gotta love Virginia -- NRA country!

Old 12-21-2004 | 02:32 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Dija ever notice that everyone who drives more conservative than we do is a "moron", and everyone who drives more agressive than we do is a "crazy SOB"?

There are way to many self-appointed-police on the roads though....prolly cut down on road rage events by 90% if they would just mind their own freekin business.......

BTW, chasing down an "offender" moves you from "victim-of-*******" status to "*******" status.......

Just sayin'
Old 12-21-2004 | 05:16 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

A lot of people don't like P/car's and P/car drivers. In many respects the way people drive them on the freeways or on surface streets fosters this dislike. I have seen porsche drivers doing, not brisk driving, but exceptionally fast and reckless driving on surface streets and freeways, hard braking and aggressive conering all over the place. Those p/car owners that try to observe traffic laws and traffic flows, and only use the track for such aggressive driving, unfortunately sometimes get singled out by other drivers, like WCE spoke about in the initial post. I would suspect that it was more the car he was driving rather than the method of his driving when the initial event occurred.

While going the speed limit I think many of us have been tailgated, forced out of lanes, been given the finger, not to mention the dirty looks. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we drive what we drive and a lot of people think because we drive a Porsche not an SUV or a pickup we're s***. That's OK, I just move over and let them go by knowing full well, I have the personal and automotive capability to shift down and blow by them like a bullet if I ever had to.

Best to all...and stay kool for the holidays...

Jim
Old 12-21-2004 | 05:52 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

damn...america sounds nuts...

i mean.. yeah there's the occasional person who doesn't see you and accidentally merges into you sure...but i don't think i've ever had anyone try to run me off the road up here...
Old 12-21-2004 | 06:26 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

That is 'cause you are in Ontario....try the crazy Quebecers.......Nuts I tell you, Nuts. Hell, they make Boston drivers look polite......

Truth is, there are wackos everywhere. And I agree with the poster that said driving a P car is sometimes an invitation to trouble.......sometimes these cars are ******* magnets.......
Old 12-21-2004 | 07:16 PM
rrys
Advanced

Hey, I have a disposable camera and I just got it out of the closet.

A friend of mine recently got himself in a bit of trouble in a similiar road rage incident. I think he was in his truck and a woman was on his butt. He likely did something stupid like step on his brakes to shake her off. They exchanged fingers, but she called the cops on her cell phone. They were there in 1 minute. He is Italian and a bit loud and hot tempered. He insisted to the cop it was her fault, but ends up with a ticket. He later calls the Police station to report the stupid cop who pulled him over and would not listen to his side of the story. After several minutes of this discussion he discovers the cop at the station is the same cop who pulled him over. Now he gets a second ticket and immediate loss of license. The woman was driving with her husband in a second car. 2 against one? She works at the same court he had to go to in order to get his license back. A friend of the magistrate. In order to get his license back he needs to pay $500 and admit he was at fault. In the US it is crushing to lose your license. He only lost it for a few days, but it really put him into a bad negotiating postition as he could not get to work without a car.
Old 12-21-2004 | 07:37 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by programmatore
You gotta love Virginia -- NRA country!

Sweeeeeet. The full-auto also doubles as a windscreen. Sweeeeet.

Take the high road, bro. Save yourself some stress next time and let that idiot go about his merry way.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!
Old 12-21-2004 | 07:52 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Jeep wipes out.....chasing Porsche in snow........

The snow started to settle and the highway was amess because the snow plows had not been out yet......as many Marylanders know, the state doesn't know how to handle snow, nor do the drivers have a good grip on things in the snow........There was 3 inches on the ground and it was still snowing when a Jeep Cherokee tried to race me on the snowy highway.....I was just going 45 in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway, minding my own business and he caught up once he saw the p-car and pulled even. I didn't want any of this, so I sped up to about 55, pulled over to the far right lane (with long signal) to get away from this maniac who was driving irradically and probably sliding....... and then proceeded to watch him try to catch me.....which was ill advised on his part as he spun out and went into the ditch.........I guess he wanted to show me that his car purchase for the snow was smarter than mine without looking at the 4S badging.............just amazing.........failed to mention that I had just put on my Pirelli 240 snows the night before...............PS - He was uninjured, as I stopped and watched him get out of his car........a police officer just happened to be at the next light and I advised him to go check on the 4 wheeler..........
Old 12-22-2004 | 10:43 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Who is really at fault here?
Passing on the right is never the smart thing
Then you take up a chase
Stupid stuff
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:33 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Most idiotic road rage I have ever seen.
18 wheeler is in the far right lane and the lane end, going from three lanes to two lanes. Honda Accord sits on the left side of the truck even after the truck puts on its directional to move to the left. The truck pulls slightly ahead of the Honda, in what appears to be the Honda driver giving up and letting the truck in. Well, the truck with no time or space to spare as the lane disappears, pulls in front of the Honda followed by the Honda driver flipping out, blinking the lights, etc...

Then, get this, the Honda driver floors its up to the front of the semi and cuts the semi off at about 65 -70 mph, forcing the semi to lock them up!!! I couldn't believe it, I don't think this guy did real well in physics.

Personally, I wish he just went through the Honda for being so $@#@ stupid!

Its funny that I could see that something was not right, backing off as the altercation ensued.
Old 12-22-2004 | 11:54 AM
Webtool
Instructor

This is not exactly on topic, but: My entirely sensible 86 year old Mom just called to say a neighbour was HAMMERING on her front door and SHOUTING thru the door in a threatening tone that the roadside tree had a branch which banged his head whilst walking past. This is obviously a city tree and being a neighbour he would logically know this. I am tempted to cut the branch and offer to place in an anatomically safer area which will avoid future tree head injury but Mom wants me to just leave it be. This is sound advice but boy am I pissed! Holiday Rage?
Old 12-22-2004 | 12:10 PM
Mitty
Racer

I agree with Joe. I used to get so mad when the dude on the right would merge into me when his lane would end. No signal, 2 inches clearance.
"Just take a deep breath and move on. Two hours later you'll never remember the "nut with the holiday road rage". If you get shot, you'll never forget him/her. ;-o" -Joe

This sums up how I deal with it. I tell myself "What is really important here?" My wife, my kids, my sanity. Next time you get cut off tell youself: "It's not worth it. In 5 minutes I'll be home, and this a-hole will still be an a-hole and he will be home to. No possible confrontation. Road Rage kills.

Peace on Earth,
Darren
Old 12-22-2004 | 12:38 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Hey Darren, thanks for the ack! I have a lot of empathy for the gun totin' population here (long ago former NRA member) but sometimes protecting what I've got means realizing what's really important and just letting the a-hole go.

Disagree or agree with me, I'm still done my Christmas shopping! Ha! ha! ;-)
Old 12-22-2004 | 07:17 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Similar story, different ending....
I'm in the left lane as two lanes are being reduced to one. Driver comes up on my right, passing me just as the lanes go down to one forcing me into the "suicide" center turning lane. I saw it comming and was prepared for it. As I pulled behind the driver, imagine his surprise as I turned on my emergncy lights and pulled him over. (I'm a cop and was driving my unmarked take home car) He told me that he did nothing wrong, that he was in the passing lane (not!!!!!). I asked him to tell that same story to the judge as I handed him a $287.00 ticket......sometimes there is a cop around when you need one.....LOL

Last edited by Big6Dad; 12-23-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Holiday ROAD RAGE!