Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

is C4S manual gearbox same as base [non-X50] turbo? just curious.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is C4S manual gearbox same as base [non-X50] turbo? just curious.

i'm guessing yes. can't imagine porsche finding it cost-effective to manufacture a special AWD gearbox version of the regular 996 gearbox.

i like thinking that my C4S gearbox is perhaps a little overly rugged ...maybe???
Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but the TT has a completely different transmission. The C4S is the same G96 variant (G96/31) as the other 996 (G96/01) siblings. The only difference is a longer output shaft and the viscous coupling. Turbos, GT2/3 all have a heavy duty gearbox (G96/50 , G96/88) derived from the 993 G50 unit.
The worst thing abaout all this stuff is the non-serviceability of the "regular" 996 trannys. (Whoever the braniac was that came up with this scheme needs his a$$ kicked about 14 times a day ) There are no parts available and they cannot be worked on...officially anyway. Some race shops have started working on them and they are supposedly quite similar to other G50 units.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm....but the regular 2WD 996 gearbox wouldn't have a hole (and shaft) heading out the front of the gearbox to drive the front wheels, right? so they did a special spin on the regular 996 gearbox to accomodate driving the front wheels?

oh well...all the more reason i have to save my pennies to upgrade to a turbo some day

i knew the X50 turbo had some gearbox tweaks, vs. the regular turbo. or so i've heard.

i always wondered where the viscous coupling was for driving the front wheels...i didn't know whether it was in the back, along with the main gearbox, or up front, in conjunction with the front diff unit.

thanx for the info !

Quick Reply: is C4S manual gearbox same as base [non-X50] turbo? just curious.