Sponsored by:

How To R&R 3 Dash Trim Strips

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How To R&R 3 Dash Trim Strips

Has anyone removed the 3 thin dash trim strips that run along the middle of the dash? One long one is over glove compartment, one shorter to the left of steering wheel, and other short one is left of wheel under ignition. How do you access the screws ?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This was discussed with some frequency on PPBB. My understanding is that you basically need to get behind the dash and get to the screws (i.e. remove the entire dash to accomplish this task correctly).

IMO, not worth the rattles you most likely will be left to deal with.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:20 AM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope.... not necessary to remove the dash. You can access the screws with a 1/4 in ratchet and a torx bit. You must remove the ducting to the side vents as well as removing the vents themselves. Some of the other ways described involve destruction of current strips (too much risk of damage to dash).

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Tom
Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...t=0&#entry1586

Our local group has done this on 2 cars.

If you remove the steering wheel and the trim plate below the instrument cluster you can get your hand behind the dash with a T10 bit and remove the screws for the 2 small pieces. If you have a car with a glove box then you remove it and you can reach behind for the screws for the long piece. If you cannot do it this way then you pull on them and the screws will pull out of the plastic trim.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
bavarian
Instructor

The methods described above are way too difficult and time consuming. Don't remove any parts. I marked the screw locations using the replacement bars and then carefully applied a soldering iron to the old dash bars directly over the screw heads. You can then pry and pull the bars off. The new bar will fit right in with a little silicone glue. It is prudent to protect the dash with tape on either side (see the renntech.org thread above).
Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I basically followed Jeff and Kevin's method to do mine. However, I ended up using a dremel tool to "help" the removal along. Ruined the strips I removed, but used an AS set. Came out fine.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note. If you have the glove box and do it the way I said by removing all the screws with a T10 bit, then the trim pieces are not damaged. Some people want to do it this way because they will paint and reinstall the trim pieces.

If there are any owners in the San Jose area who want to do this on one of our work on cars day then let me know.

Quick Reply: How To R&R 3 Dash Trim Strips