Sponsored by:

2002 996, Suspension Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
faszinated
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 996, Suspension Mods?

What suspension setup is the best for a car that is a daily driver in a sunshine only climate (FL)?

I understand that US cars are higher than their European counterparts (due to Ralph Nader). I've seen ROW suspension kits for sale from Porsche, but do I need a whole kit with new dampers and rollbars? Or, can I just get the European springs, and then have a car that is 100% the same as the Porsches everywhere else in the world? Are the aftermarket springs the same as the ROW's?

If I was going to do a whole ROW kit, is the sport suspension worth it for someone who tracks the car only once or twice a month but drives every other day? Or, is the ROW sport suspension too stiff and low to be used as daily transport?

Also, anyone have any experience with the RUF kit?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:45 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

As many people cant understand; you are pointing out that you would like to get the lower euro ride height and otherwise normal euro springs. This is the ROW or rest of world version of the springs. Its not just europe but everybody else beside america that gets these. We have our US version to raise the cars bumper height to the perscribed level.
And you dont want a hard performance spring/shock set up. You dont need the sport springs or shocks at $2000 just to get a little lower.
All you need to do is buy the ROW springs for your car. Which is the standard 'euro' or rest of world springs. As spec 20mm lower front and 10mm rear. And slightly firmer, but I dont know the rate comparison. Then you'll be riding about the same height as the average performance setup. And at a factory standard firmness.
Just order the springs for you specific model from any dealer. Less than $500. If they cant figure it out, they can have Atlanta parts distribution do it. There are some aftermarket dealers that stock some ROWs but most have the sport versions. Better be sure of your numbers before you let them sell you some.
PS if youre looking at a ruf kit, youre looking at performance.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll refer you to the article on the PCA website concerning RoW vs US sport suspensions, a good read. While the M030 will drop the car 20mm front and 10mm rear the std Row springs only drop the car 10mm. At least that is my recollection.
If you are tracking the car once a month or more I would suggest doing the complete RoW M030 upgrade since the labor would be basically the same as a spring change.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M030 IMO is a very good suspension for a daily driver. The standard suspension is too soft and the M030 is what should have came with the car. I think Porsche was trying to cater to the yuppies who can't drive with the standard suspension.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

refer to the post; ROW Springs For The C4S. The regular ROW springs lower the car exactly 20mm front and 10mm rear. I imagine its the same results for C2 and C4S.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

The issue with the standard suspension has to to with DOT regulations, not "yuppies who can't drive with the standard suspension." The DOT requires higher bumpers in the US. With regard to the M030, I beleive that there is both a "regular" and "sport" version. If no one has mentioned it, check with Gert at Carnewal.com. Great to deal with, ships quickly and he knows his stuff.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:21 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
The issue with the standard suspension has to to with DOT regulations, not "yuppies who can't drive with the standard suspension." The DOT requires higher bumpers in the US. With regard to the M030, I beleive that there is both a "regular" and "sport" version. If no one has mentioned it, check with Gert at Carnewal.com. Great to deal with, ships quickly and he knows his stuff.
The softness in the standard suspension was to cater to the masses who wishes for the status of a Porsche but wants the ride of a Bimmer. The US M030 is more of what a Porsche should feel like. The ROW M030 is a little better due to the lower height.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:46 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Okbarnett, I think you might be confusing the STD and Sport ROW suspensions. At least with a C2 there is still a small height difference even between the US and ROW STD suspensions,more so with the Sports suspension (20/10) . Obviously since a C4S already has a sports suspension a ROW (Sport ) springs would be the only available option.
BTW they rarely lower the car exactly 20mm/10mm, there is a 10mm+/- variation in the specs. My car lowered about 15mm in the front and 0 in the rear.

Quick Reply: 2002 996, Suspension Mods?