Sponsored by:

how to transport 996 track tires to track

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:43 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default how to transport 996 track tires to track

I drive my car to the track and want to drive rain tires (Brigestone SO3) and take dry tires (like PZero Corsa) with me, but there's no room. Any solutions out there? I also can't lift easily, so I'm not sure a roof rack would do.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had asked this same question a while ago, most tow it in a tire rack, one at rennlist carries his on the roof rack (porsche roof rack cannot stand the weight), some actually put two tires in the rear seats (with the seats folded) one in the passenger seat and one in the trunk (remove the spare tire, all wrapped in garbage bags, note deleting the spare may affect frontal crash impact).
Old 11-26-2004, 06:37 PM
speedread
Racer

Where do they attach the tow? Thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 PM
speedread
Racer

Jeeva,
How do I find the thread to your earlier inquire? I am unable to locate it. Thanks
Old 11-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it looks terrible to take 4 tires with you on a trailer behind your 911

some guy in my town thinks hes the ultimate porsche racer, he tows 4 tires behind his carrera, (decked out in fake GT3 garb, complete with logo) which usually takes up 2-3 parking spaces, and tells people he races porsches on the weekend,

you can see his car from a mile away, it has many obnoxious stickers covering his car, mostly from companies that are unlikely to be sponsoring him.

i saw him up at limerock once, he doesn't even participate, just tells people he is some sort of factory sponsored racer, and solicits a bunch of 'nice car' looks.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:39 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd get some tire covers or large heavy duty garbage bags and use them to cover the tires. You can take out the spare and put one tire in the trunk, on the passenger seat and two in the back. How do like the Corsa's?
Old 11-27-2004, 11:38 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your friends who have a trailer to take the tires for you or pay somebody to take your tires .
Old 11-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speedread
Jeeva,
How do I find the thread to your earlier inquire? I am unable to locate it. Thanks

Click on my avatar (not my name), and then click on all THREADS STARTED, he fourth in the list. It has links to pictures showing how to carry in the roof rack, I personally cannot get myself to tow anything on a porsche either, so I may settle on R-compounds and use it on streets as well, when I am ready I most likely will get the P-zero corsas.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:08 PM
speedread
Racer

"How do I like the Corsa's?" I haven't driven on them, I'm only considering them. They were recommended by Kelly Moss Racing as a good DOT legal track tire to drive to the track. But they are not so hot in rain, so I'm hesitant to drive them to the track without a rain backup. In the past I've used the SO3's, which are great at the track in the rain, but until the tread is quite worn, they are not so great on a dry track, due to their deep tread which wobbles on the curves.
The suggestion to get help taking tires to the track from someone with a trailer may be the best bet, as I'm having a rear roll cage fabricated and may not be able to put 2 tires in the back. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:27 PM
rearbias
Intermediate

I wrestle with this issue mayself...at the nearby events (100+- miles) and if its not raining, I just ride up on my R Compound tires (Sport Cups). Next week I'm driving up to NoCal (Sears Point) (400miles) for a two day event. Unless big rain is forecast, I'll just go up on my Sport Cups, otherwise street tires. I'm also trying to find someone going up with a truck who can take the tires. (anybody know anybody?)

...at open track days I see many tire trailers behind smaller cars such as miatas and S2000s. They work well and have room for tools and a jack. I've never seen a tire trailer behind a carrera. Wouldn't the exhaust system get in the way of the hitch?

Would 4 tires fit in the car? What about the jack floor? My CD collection? The smell?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speedread
"How do I like the Corsa's?" I haven't driven on them, I'm only considering them. They were recommended by Kelly Moss Racing as a good DOT legal track tire to drive to the track. But they are not so hot in rain, so I'm hesitant to drive them to the track without a rain backup. .
Then you may also want to consider the P-zero corsa "system" which I understand has deeper grooves and better for rain.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Speeddread- I have a small track trailer that hauls everything...jack, wheels, toolbox, cooler (for refreshments) and fuel. It may be funny-looking, it is simple to put together and fits in a standard garage with the car. Purchaing a tow vehicle and trailer is more than I want to spend, and then not have a place to store it. I have directions and photos for how to put it all together.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Hotbasco,

Your first post is an offer of help, way to go!, and welcome to rennlist.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:53 PM
mastermind
Advanced

Hotbasco,

I second jeeva - nice advice for the first post!

You know... the whole time I was auto-x'ing my Miata I used a little track trailer to carry my track rubber, tools, and a cooler. Although many people though it was funny looking (a miata with a trailer) it was really no big deal.. a track trailer really isn't that much weight... and to my way of thinking much better than using the roof rack (eek !!) or messing up the inside of the car.

The miata had some nice structural points that made it easy to mount a tow hitch to (and several manufactuers made a Miata specific unit), which the 911 does not have (not really that much room back there) - but I heard someone make a little ball hitch that screws into the rear tow hook mount.

Anyway, what's the big deal about towing a track trailer? It's not that much weight... if you can tow one with a Miata you can tow one with a 911.....

t
Old 12-02-2004, 08:10 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
i think it looks terrible to take 4 tires with you on a trailer behind your 911
Tom, I know a few guys who transport thier tires, tools, etc.. this way its not about the looks its about getting back and forth to the tracks safely.

Quick Reply: how to transport 996 track tires to track