Sponsored by:

how to transport 996 track tires to track

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mccullough
I and a number of other Boxster & 996 owners use and are very happy with the Willwood hitch. It can also support a bike rack or luggage carrier. See http://www.willwoodsystem.com/.

--- Tom
The hitch looks good. Where can you get a small trailer, maybe just big enough for 3 tires? I figure I can get only one tire in my passenger GT3 seat (once installed), and my roll cage will eliminate the back seat I think, (once it's installed). I tried putting a tire in the front 996 trunk, but the lid wouldn't shut, and I want to keep the spare in the trunk, since aparently it's part of the crash system. Hotbasco offered pictures of a trailer, but I guess he's not back yet.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speedread, I'm using a hitch on my 2000 C2 without a problem. If you have a MENARDS (discount hardware) they sell a small hobbykit trailer for about $150. Same one is shown on Northerntools.com http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Id=7262&R=7262

Keep in mind the shipping can be as much as the trailer itself. If I can figure out how to get my pictures to be small enough for this site, I'll post a shot of my trailer.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Okay, who can tell me how to get a photo file size small enough for this site? Speedread, if you PM me with a external email address I'll send you photos of the trailer AND how I put together a hitch system. Takes some time and a few tools....but no special skills. trailex in Ohio has a slick little aluminum track trailer. But it was priced a little high for what I wanted to pay at the time. Decided to do it myself.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:55 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
The hitch looks good. Where can you get a small trailer, maybe just big enough for 3 tires? I figure I can get only one tire in my passenger GT3 seat (once installed), and my roll cage will eliminate the back seat I think, (once it's installed). I tried putting a tire in the front 996 trunk, but the lid wouldn't shut, and I want to keep the spare in the trunk, since aparently it's part of the crash system. Hotbasco offered pictures of a trailer, but I guess he's not back yet.
If you want to transport 3 behind the car and 1 in the car thats your choice, but its not much difference to transport all 4 and tools, etc behind the car, all I have seen is 4 and 5 tire trailer setups.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:08 AM
mccullough
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire trailer I have is this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35967. It and the SouthSport trailer (I believe no longer sold) are the ones I see most often.

Mount a 3/4" marine plywood floor on it, then a big plastic box from WalMart, and cobble a mount for your 4 wheels/tires. I used a couple of beveled 4x4's that the tires rest between. A couple of steel plates bolted to the side rails with cutouts to support a 1" square rod that goes through the plates and wheels with a padlock on each end locks the tires to the trailer.

--- Tom
Old 12-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Hotbasco
Intermediate

Here is the link that inspired--and directed--me to fabricate my own hitch. http://www.pca.org/hcp/de_trailer.htm Did a road test of it last week before the big snow hit. Now I just need to transfer my brake light booster from my AMG over to the 911. Sorry about no photos, still learning about how rennlist functions.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 AM
speedread
Racer

Default Todd @ Evo 996 trailer hitch (not for sale)

Here's another approach I ran across in a thread. I called Todd, but was unable to speak to him at the time. The person at Evo I spoke to said the hitch is not being sold. It is screwed into the tow screw mounting hole behind the llicense plate. (The tow screw that comes in our tool kit). That seems to me to be an excellent mounting point rather than under the rubber bumperettes, but I'm not sure from the picture if there is also some attachment under the bumperettes. Anyone have any experience with mounting a trailer hitch this way on a 996?
I'm not sure if I inserted the image correctly, so here's where I got it: "Supercharger", post # 22, from the 996 board on 9-10-03.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 AM
speedread
Racer

No it didn't work. How do you corectly insert an image that I successfully uploaded onto the rennlist upload?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:13 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

speedread - the hitch i use is the one Todd sells (or used to sell) from EVO. pretty easy to install. i may be selling it in february.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
speedread
Racer

Penguinking, how does your hitch install? I'm guessing that the only mounting point for the hitch is the tow screw hole. Correct? Any safety issue with your hitch?
It also looks like in the picture that the lisence plate has to be mounted higher than normal. Does it?
I was thinking the screw-in-hitch could be made to fit right in the lisence plate spot, and a flip down bracket then be used for the lisence plate, so that when the hitch was unscrewed the plate would flip into the normal position. Would this work for your hitch?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i bet you could make something to do that. right now in the "rest" position the license plate rubs against the hitch so i had to mount it higher up, as seen in the picture.

you are correct about the hitch, except that it extends to where the bumperettes attach, though those attachments are more to make sure the hitch stays upright and not tilt to the side. so far no safety issues - when installing the hitch i tried to imagine an emergency situation where i'd have to slam hard on the brakes, and it looks like it can handle it. my camera is broken now so i can't take any new pictures of the hitch unfortunately. from what i can recall, EVO doesn't advertise the hitch on their website but call and ask for Todd and i think they still make it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:28 PM
speedread
Racer

thanks for the info. I did call and they don't carry it anymore.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 PM
speedread
Racer

Check out the Feb 05 issue of EXCELLENCE magazine, page 126. There's a picture of a flip down lisence plate with a hitch in the center of it while the plate is fliped down. It's on a 928. (I'd post the picture, but I don't know how copyright works here on rennlist, and I can't seem to post a picture using the "upload photo").
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have some pictures here for you. The hitch actually made a great bumper, the only reason I have these pictures is because some stupid kid ran in the back of my car. I had an old tire trailer (the one described by McCullough in the previous post) I have since then bought a used southsport trailer. The hitch is from Willwood . Not cheap but almost nothing shows when removed. I will now attempt to post my pictures..... https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=39797&stc=1
DCP_0928.JPG https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=39798&stc=1
IMG_0406.JPG https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=39799&stc=1
IMG_0534.JPG https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=39800&stc=1
IMG_0538.JPG https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...id=39801&stc=1
IMG_0544.JPG

1 st pic. is the old trailer (tongue too short, couldn't backup) 2 nd trailer is southsport, still in business but hidding out in . the rest of the pics. are what the hitch looks like and how it mounts. It did a fine job puncturing a toyota radiator, the only pleasure I had that day.
I have a jack in there and everything else you need, but remember., you still have to change 4 tires and will usually be one of the last people to leave. If you carry the tires in the car-You will be the last guy out. take forever to load the wheels in there.
Attached Images      
Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The Southsport tire trailer is very nice. ~ 1K new IIRC. See a few being pulled by 986 and 996 (and one by a Cayenne!)

I had one before I jumped into the deep end (20' enclosed aluminum trailer).
It's been sitting around for a year. If anyone is interested, PM me (It would be good to find it a home)

Quick Reply: how to transport 996 track tires to track