Sponsored by:

PSE Going on Tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 04:39 AM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE Going on Tomorrow!

Finally got around to posting a couple of pictures (assuming this worked...I'm new!) of my new ride...picked it up this summer. The car has winters on now, but as you can see there isn't much snow yet. The all-wheel drive should be interesting in the snow.

After driving for a couple of months, I found that the car is awesome, but too quiet! I had a 98 M3 before with a Scorpion exhaust, and I miss the sound. Hence, I have the PSE going on tomorrow...can't wait!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful car, you'll love the PSE. it is the biggest improvement part that porsche makes (mabye with the exception of aerokits )
Old 11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks great. These cars are not as bad in the snow as you might think. Just watch out for other drivers, I had a couple of near misses last winter(f'd up one rim). If I know it's going to snow, I'll take the train and deal with the masses.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Nice car, great color! haha PSE! ahhhhh Sweet sounds...
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Poursha
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice pix--you'll love PSE.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

No snow yet in Alberta ?, WOW that's some LATE snow for you guy's eh! hi..hi..heeee

Nice car, those sports design wheels are awesome, IMO you should use those with the center caps on in summer and use the stock ones in winter. You seem to have a different front seat backs, I think mine is plain leather. Sports design rims and PSE will be my first choices of mods, other than some track safety stuff.

Congratulations on you fine ride, post us on how you like PSE.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 11-12-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:30 AM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Default Question on PSE Installation - Help!

Question regarding the PSE installation...my dealer is performing the install (I figured since I was taking my car in anyway, that it would save me some hassle). However, the dealer says that PSE comes set in "quiet" mode, and that the switch NEEDS to be installed to enable "sport" mode.

Now, I've seen various posts describe how PSE can be installed without the switch. Just to verify...is this true? What info can I take back to my dealer to essentially "prove" that it can be done?

Not sure if he is just trying to get an extra 4 hours of labour, or doesn't really know???

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. With no switches, electronics, PSE is wide open all the time - no question about it (I put PSE in my 04 Targa earlier this year before succumbing to 997S fever).

I opened this thread again to warn you that when you first drive off, at least in my experience, the PSE may sound too loud, almost like you have no mufflers, but after a week or two, it seems to break in. You will love it!
Old 11-13-2004, 03:29 AM
ajc8888
Rennlist Member

without the switch it's always on. save the labor for the switch. it' an hour or two without the switch.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's more like 8hrs of labor to wire the switch, you don't need it anyway.
If your dealer is jerking your chain, just take it to a porsche hotrod shop in your area to do the install.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

So, SCGuy, how do you like it?

I have been considering getting one...
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 PM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Just waiting until Monday to clear up the "switch/no switch" thing. Once this is resolved, I'll have to post my impressions.

jeeva...yep, the seatbacks are different. The car came with the "seatbacks painted same color as exterior" option (I forget the code). It looks pretty good...probably the first time I have ever waxed the inside of the car!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:32 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The default mode is open all the time, the switch activates the vacum operated valves.Therefore installing the mufflers alone will get you the bypass open all the time. The switch is not worth it IMO, it's a major undertaking. Sounds like your dealer is jerking you around.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:27 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't need the switch. It will be on all the time. And if the dealer is giving you a hard time, don't take it there. You are just swapping out your mufflers. Nothing complicated about it. Any competent muffler shop can do it. I had Midas do mine. Took a little over an hour and they only charged me $75. Probably a LOT less than the dealer is charging you.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:27 AM
SCGuy
Intermediate

Got it sorted out today...the dealer said that they had "figured it out", and were able to install the exhaust minus the switch. Not sure why they didn't know this in the first place...go figure.

First impression...this exhaust sounds fantastic! When you are not on the gas, the sound isn't actually that loud, and it doesn't make its way into the cabin very much (should be good for long trips...time will tell). However, stepping on the throttle results in a much better exhaust note - not a deep rumble, but more of a "bark" (tough to find adjectives to describe an exhaust).

Drove home from the airport today with the window open the whole way...gotta like it!

Quick Reply: PSE Going on Tomorrow!