Sponsored by:

Help Please! clutch pedal stuck on floor

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 AM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please! clutch pedal stuck on floor

My quick trip to Wal-mart turned into a three hour tour!

When I was done with my shopping I started my 99 C2 and off I went, shifted into first.....zoom....depress clutch to shift into second.... the clutch did not come back up? At first I thought it came back up 1/2 way but I depressed the clutch again and it sticks to the floor.

I stopped my 911 and pulled the clutch up by hand but when I pushed it again it stuck again, I repeated this several times in hopes that something would catch and I could limp home. I ended up pushing the car into a parking spot and going into the store to purchase a flash light so I could see better.

The light did help reveal a good size puddle of fluid under the driver's side door just in ahead of the rear tire. It looked to be brake/clutch fluid. I also checked the front reservoir and it was slightly low (near the min line). So I suspect this may have something to do with my problem?

I had my 911 flatbeded back to my home garage but have not gone any further yet. My plan is to jack up the car and remove the underbody plastic panels tomorrow and check for leaks. If anyone has any recommendations on things to look for please let me know.

In the interest of full disclosure.....
I changed the plugs/filters Monday afternoon but I doubt there is any relationship.
The car is approaching 40K miles.
I have only owned the car a few weeks and do have a warranty from the non-Porsche dealer I purchased from but I am not sure I want them working on the car.
I would not guess the clutch itself is gone but I could be wrong.
Believe it or not, I have an appointment for an inspection at Auto Edge in St. Paul tomorrow afternoon. I guess I will have to reschedule...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Chris.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:59 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slave cyilinder is dead sounds like-
Old 11-03-2004, 02:28 AM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Thanks for the super fast response Sean.
I guess I will check that out first. Hopefully it wil be something I can replace/fix myself.

Chris
Old 11-03-2004, 02:31 AM
SPR
Drifting

mine was replaced and it was 250 or thereabouts uhg! but that would do it from what you describe. Get under there and see first and then order it from sunset for cheap. it actually should be easy the only difficult thing will be to bleed it. Might as well spring for better fluid and a motul bleeder and do it right. check with Loren on that stuff etc.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:29 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

with the puddle of brake fluid in front of the left rear tire....I would have to say you either have a punctured clutch line or the fitting came loose. the clutch line runs from front to back along the drivers side....(Blue line).
Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
ebaker
Pro

If you're lucky a $10 rebuild kit will be available somewhere.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:31 AM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, did you buy the silver one that was at Rochester Ford/Toyota?
Jon, also in Roch with the blue 968
Old 11-04-2004, 11:08 AM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JonT
Just curious, did you buy the silver one that was at Rochester Ford/Toyota?
Jon, also in Roch with the blue 968
Hi Jon, Yes that is the one I now own....I hope you all go easy on me for buying from a non-Porsche dealer

Do you know anything about the car?
I do like the car and I have always wanted a 911 but I probably should have spent more time looking around (a little buyers regret) now that I see very good prices on what seem to very nice 911's. That said it was nice that the car was for sale locally and the dealer treated me good, I think the price I paid was decent and I was able to spend quite a bit of time with the car before buying it.

I have a warranty from the dealer but I think I would rather fix any issues that I can myself.

Do any of you local P-car owners ever get together?

Chris.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a line leak. I think the breaks and clutch share fliud.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:13 PM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Yes, as many of you suspected there is a clutch fluid line leak. I did not take a picture yet but the leak is just in front of the drivers side rear jack point. It is right where the line makes a turn to go to the tranny. The hole is not visable by my naked eye but when under pressure a nice spray is visable. After raising the car it was pretty obvious where the leak was, there was a crack in the under belly plastic panel right under the clutch line and the clutch line was somewhat crushed above this. I noticed the crack previously but did not think much of it.

My next question (and I will ask the parts guy as well), is what do I do? Is there a line repair kit or do I just replace the line?

Thanks again, Chris
Old 11-04-2004, 04:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

That's cool. Replace the whole line with - fitting and line???
Old 11-04-2004, 05:48 PM
tstanding
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any chance someone tried to jack up the car and missed the jack point? This would explain the crack in the plastic panel and the crushed hydrolic line.

Tim
Old 11-04-2004, 06:07 PM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Sean; Yes it is cool that it is probably not a big deal, not cool that I can't drive my car for a bit while I wait for parts!

Tim, your guess is probably a very good one, it could have easily happened from someone being carless with a jack.

Thanks gents!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 PM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Here are some photos of the damage / squirt. The first shows the crushed area of the line with fulid squirting out.

The second shows the damaged belly pan. The piece that is missing fell off when I was removing the pan. It just happens to be right under the damaged line
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2004, 11:35 PM
SPR
Drifting

somehow that is just dirty

Quick Reply: Help Please! clutch pedal stuck on floor