Sponsored by:

Correct jack stand placement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Chrisp3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct jack stand placement?

Just got my new exhaust system from GHL and can't wait until the dealer opens next week to put them on. Can anyone tell me where the "correct" place to position the jacks stands is once I jack it up?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2004, 08:18 PM
chitownbob
Racer

I'd use some ramps if you have them.

Bobby
Old 10-31-2004, 01:34 AM
drafting
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chrisp3
Just got my new exhaust system from GHL and can't wait until the dealer opens next week to put them on. Can anyone tell me where the "correct" place to position the jacks stands is once I jack it up?

Thanks
Well, there's lots of places NOT to place the jack stands. Whatever you do, think about it several times before you do it. I had a couple minor cg-related surprises (car body rotating in a direction I didn't expect while jacking down w/ one stand in place; front end rising while jacking the rear) the first time I went through this process, primarily because of the stiffness of the frame, and overall dimensions of the car.

The attached image shows what I did at the rear of my car, placing the stands under the main lateral cross brace, just inboard of the suspension pivot (I'm sure that someone out there can describe it more eloquently than I).
Good luck w/ the new exhaust!

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't you acctivate the float button?

Orient Express has this option
Old 10-31-2004, 11:07 AM
Chrisp3
Instructor

Thanks everyone...for the input. I knew that someone out there would know exactly where to place the stands and would also provide additional info such as what was offerred by "drafting". I have only had this car for 3 mos. and this is the first opportunity for me to put it in the air.

thanks again
Old 10-31-2004, 05:04 PM
rrys
Advanced

Even though I have a low jack I find that driving onto 2 pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 is very helpful to get the jack under the car. The Porsche has 4 jacking points, one at each corner, and a special fitting to center into each jack point. At the rear I jack the whole rear at once via the cross-member and use jack stands at the jack points. I made up 4 plates with centering bolts that fit into each jack point rather than buying the special jack pad. This way you won't fall off or mar the jack points.

Quick Reply: Correct jack stand placement?