Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried the New Kumho ASX Tires ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried the New Kumho ASX Tires ....

OK, not to start another tire debate but does anyone one have the 18" Kumho ASX's on their 996? They are an all season and I was thinking about going this direction rather than to a full snow tire. TIA, Mark

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX
Old 10-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you want an all-season tire on a Porsche? It is nothing but a compromise tire.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:16 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

I recently purchased a set of these. Mine is a daily driver so tire life is important. My local tire store gave me a 40k treadwear warranty and at $200 more than just replacing the Pirelli rears, I thought I’d give them a try, (I did keep my near new fronts just in case).

I don’t think they handle as well as the Pirellis but they are very quiet and I’m sure they will last longer.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:55 AM
GoMo
Intermediate

I ordered these this week and are having them put on Tomorrow. I live in NC so an all-season is a winter tire for me. I'll let you know how they are in a couple of days.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
GoMo
Intermediate

Ok, so I got these installed this weekend. I have to first tell you that it has been 10 years since I have driven one of my own cars with all season tires, but I do like these tires. When I first drove them home, the sidewalls felt very soft. The ride of course was much improved and the tire sound level was at least cut in half. I realized after I got home that I didn't tell the tire shop what pressures I wanted, so I checked them. They where set to 36 all around. I usually run 35F 39R. I bumped the fronts to 38 and the rears to 43 and they felt much better. Ride and noise where still much improved but they handled much better. I only have a few miles on the but they seem to hang on in a turn pretty well. The only thing I'm not used to is the soft sidewall. It gives the car a feeling like it's not going to take the turn. It has a rubberband type feel at initial turn in as the sidewall flexes, but after that it just sticks. The reviews on the Tirerack make it seem like these tires will hang with all but the best summer tires. I'm not sure this is true, but some more hard driving should tell me more. Overall I am happy with these tires but don't think of them as max performance tires that can handle a little snow. There is really no such thing, so you are giving up a little performance for the all season.

I'll post an update in a few days after I mess with the tire pressures a little.

BTW I'm on stock C4 suspension.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

I also drive my targa daily and tire wear is a concern. I current purchased a set of Khumo Estcas - so far so very good - I will not use them during the winter months - I alway felt (from past experince) that alll season on a 993/996 platform simply don't work in the Northern NJ area - I always mount a set of M2 Winter Sports - I am interest in your experince with these tires -
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
GoMo
Intermediate

A little tire update...
I had my last Auto-x of the season yesterday and since I had already made the switch to these tires for the winter, they are what I ran. I was VERY impressed. As many of you know, in auto-x you can only really judge your performance against other people but I actually performed better at this event then the last one on my old pirellis. There are many variables going on here but I still wanted to let you all know that the tires made a very good showing.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

GoMo,

I too have purchased the ASX's (205/55/16, and 225/50/16) and like you the turn in and feel of the side walls are a little soft at factory recommended pressures. I am also increasing the pressure by three degrees all around to find out if that will improve the rear end feel ( 39 for the front and 47 for the rear. I will say that the tires definately give you more of the lifting throttle oversteer we all love to experience. Well, actually it scares the crap out of me that the tire could come off the rim in high load corners( there are hollows, also known as canyon roads to those out west that provide some incredible switch backs in the Southern Ohio, Northern KY areas)

I live in KY and it could be a wonderful, clear morning, then 3 inches of snow from noon to 3pm screws you for the driver home. I had Dunlop SP 5000's and they were great in the snow. My stock 964 C4 handles like a dream in the snow and would not consider going back to a Wrangler for winter duty. I also found the dry grip to be better than the dunlops, but obviously a compromise.

I am not sure yet if I would recommend the tires, but at 400 bucks "on the rim and out the door" is hard to pass up.

My $0.02...

take care,
Wilson
Old 11-08-2004, 02:45 PM
GoMo
Intermediate

I have now brought my pressures back down and they feel good. I don't really know if this is possible but they feel stiffer now with a few hundred miles on them. Even at 36F/38.5R there was no sign of rolling over on the auto-x course. If they are not doing it there, they are not going to do it on the road. Give it a few miles and try taking them back down and se how they feel.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:52 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

any updats on these tires
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates on these tires?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:40 AM
thanatos69
Intermediate

I'm glad you're having a good experience with the tires. I had them all the way around on my last Corvette (01 C5 coupe) and they handled great. I put 20k miles on them and still had plenty of tread left. Now I know what I'm getting once the tires on the Porsche need replacing.

-Richard
Old 06-19-2005, 01:40 PM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

I have about 14000 miles on mine and they still have PLENTY of tread left. Smooth ride and quiet too.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the New Kumho ASX Tires ....