Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HomeLink Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004 | 05:25 AM
TOMDEG
Rennlist Member

Don't mean to be redundant (I posted this on another topic), but I just used a targa switch and sprayed clear on it. In the photo the colors don't match but in real life the match is excellent.

Tom
Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2004 | 02:03 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Sam, I finished this project this weekend and it works great. Thanks for your help

Dave
Old 11-22-2004 | 07:41 PM
samminnella
Intermediate

My pleasure Dave.

Did you modify your mirror same as I did? If so what did you repaint it with?
Old 11-22-2004 | 08:57 PM
2002-996
3rd Gear

I contacted Homelink about the purchase and installation of a visor-located homelink system. This is the response that I received:

"Thank you for visiting the HomeLink website and for your inquiry.

At this time, HomeLink is not sold as an aftermarket product and is sold directly to automotive manufacturers as a factory installed feature. You may want to contact your local dealer and see if they can be of assistance.

We also have a "mid market" company by the name of MITO that your dealer can contact about purchasing a HomeLink equipped mirror for installation in some selective vehicles that do not have HomeLink factory installed. MITO's number is 800-433-6486, if you as a customers calls in, they will refer you to authorized distributors in your area.

Since we do not sell HomeLink aftermarket we do not deal with any type of installation issues or have access to schematics.

If you would like a HomeLink information packet, please call our customer service center at 1-800-355-3515 M-F 5am-7pm, Sat. 6am-5pm & Sun. 7am-5pm MST or respond with a mailing address and I will be happy to forward one to you.

I apologize for any inconveniences. Please contact me again if you have additional comments or questions.

Best Regards,
Rick Tache. "

Does anyone know a work around on getting the visor mounted unit? Is the mirror unit compatible with the rain sensing wiper system? I would really like to have the convenience of the homelink system. The lack of the system on my 996 is a weak link (pun intended).
Old 11-23-2004 | 06:26 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Hi Sam, I think I modified the mirror the same as you did but I didn't need to paint it. I pryed both mirrors apart and removed the metal "ball" from the Homelink mirror. I then cut down the original mount to fit in the recces of the Homelink mirror. I also widened the base of the mount to accept the "cup" of the original mirror mount. Used "Plastic Weld" to glue the mount to the mirror. It was a tight fit but looked great when I was finished. Didn't need to paint anything.
Your electrical hook up suggestion was great and it works well. Very happy with the way it turned out....

Dave
Old 06-05-2006 | 12:02 AM
jerhofer
Racer

Default Homelink Mirror

How did you remove the factory mirror from the windshield mount? I don't see an obvious way and I don't want to damage anything.
Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006 | 11:15 PM
samminnella
Intermediate

The bracket twists off. I had to use a pipe wrench padded with lots of electrical tape to get it to turn. I'm going from memory but 45deg either way should loosen it. The piece that sticks to the glass is permenent, I think it is called the button. I heard of people breaking the glass trying to pull the mirror off.
Old 06-05-2006 | 11:28 PM
jerhofer
Racer

Default Homelink mirror

Thanks. I found a thread on Renntech.org that also helped.

Jerry
Old 06-06-2006 | 11:00 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default So I am a little late to this discussion, but...

The auto-dim mirror and Home-link garage door opener project is one that I have done on my 996.

For the auto-dim mirror project, I had upgraded my wife's Audi Allroad mirror to the one with the built-in compass. So I had an extra auto-dim mirror. Well, it turns out that the mirrors and the mounts used in Audi, VW, and Porsche are all exactly the same. A new mirror with a compass can be had for about $220, or scrounged from a junkyard for less than half that amount.

The only thing that I needed to complete the mirror installation on the Porsche was the wiring harness from the mirror to the fuze box and to the reverse sensor line. This harness is readily available from your Porsche parts counter, P/N 996.612.984.00 - "mirror harness" and costs $10.00.

The wiring harness connection instructions can be found in the TSB 6827 6-24-99 "Service installation of the automatic dimming interior rear view mirror XE3". Essentially the harness runs along the windshield header, down the drivers side A pillar and to the fuse panel and reverse sensor line. This TSB can be viewed at RennTech.org

For the Homelink Garage door, I modified a standard Genie transmitter and hid it in the Drivers side A pillar, with the Targa sunscreen switch as the control. I put the control in the center console batwing next to the seat heater switches. The install instructions for this mod can be viewed HERE.

These are two mods that are well worth the effort.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:43 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

I think my P '99 996 has a auto diming mirror...also the side mirrors are auto dimming I believe....is this possible?? or are my eyes so damn bad that it looks like the mirrors are self dimming??
My driverside mirror has yellow glass in it....why is that??
Old 06-07-2006 | 04:12 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
Hey, don't know if yer interested but check out Kirby's 996 site on rennlist . He walks you through (with pictures) on how to install the home link (garage door openers) in the switch locations by the ash tray. Really nice install and simple too!

Wow, haven't seen that pic in ages...best DIY Mod I've done so far I think?
Old 06-08-2006 | 11:41 PM
jerhofer
Racer

I was able to get the standard mirror off without using a wrench. Got a good grip and twisted it to the right. Came right off. I decided to leave the original mount on the windshield and installed the Homelink mirror next to it. Works great and the mirror hides the original mount. Now I have Homelink and automatic dimming. Well worth the time it took to install.

Quick Reply: HomeLink Mirror